The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
68shortwide

Controversial Topics in the Automotive World?

So I have to do a senior project which includes a 10pg research paper, which is based on a controversial topic. My actual project is on restoration and modification of classic cars. So my first thoughts were waterborne paint vs solvent based, their pros and cons, etc. I saw Jerry Jones' post about helping his daughter so I figured I'd turn around and ask your guys' opinion. What are some other topics prevalent to todays world? Thanks in advance.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:55 PM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Controversial Topics in the Automotive World?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortwide View Post
So I have to do a senior project which includes a 10pg research paper, which is based on a controversial topic. My actual project is on restoration and modification of classic cars. So my first thoughts were waterborne paint vs solvent based, their pros and cons, etc. I saw Jerry Jones' post about helping his daughter so I figured I'd turn around and ask your guys' opinion. What are some other topics prevalent to todays world? Thanks in advance.
Rather than a technical discussion, how about a discussion on some of the more "ethics" related issues, such as:

a) "Cloning" of rare/valuable/significant cars
..........for homage only
..........with intent to deceive
..........how can you tell the difference?
b) How much of an "original" vehicle is required for it still to be considered "original"?
...........how much of the area around a VIN tag is required for this requirement to still be met?
..........Is it "legal" to swap VINs?
..........should it be?
c) What is the impact of the government loans on the public view of General Motors?
........can this view be substantiated?
.........should GM have been allowed to fail?
........did Ford handle the economc downturn differently?
........did the federal loan affect the type of vehicles GM produced or is producing?
.........should Pontiac have been spared and Buick axed?
d) Is Chevrolet better than Ford?
........how about GMC?

Of the top of my head those are some hot buttons that seem to generate long threads on the boards I frequent.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Those are excellent Keith!

I'll add in another that I know bugs a lot of people:

E) When is it OK to modify a completely unmolested "stock" vehicle in excellent condition?
(Not talking about a nice car that's already been hacked and modified to death, talking about a near bone stock, near original car, could be original paint, could be nice repaint, but mostly original in appearance)
...does it matter if it's a desirable model or not? (like Z28, Boss 302, or is it ok if it's a 6 cylinder base model?)
...are modern suspension mods OK?
...modern power trains? (like a high powered LS in an original Z28 or new coyote boss engine in original Boss 302 - does it matter if the current drivetrain is original or not? or missing?)
... modern A/C?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

then there is the debate over which is better. Us older guys having muscle cars with V8's or the modern kids having rice burners or the like when each group was in high school?
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:32 AM   #5
68shortwide

Hmm...Great points from all 3 of you guys....im still doing research so ill bump this up and see what other ideas I can get. Probably not gonna go with the GM bailout one....my teachers a diehard fordboy.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
Old 02-19-2015, 08:23 AM   #6
Keith Seymore

For diehard Ford boys (...or to impress them...) I would recommend:

"The Arsenal of Democracy" by A J Baime. Really gives the impression that Edsel Ford I and FDR were really the only ones that knew what had to be done to defeat the Germans. They had to overcome many hurdles (as you might guess) including Henry Ford I (which you might not guess). Esdel fronted the money to get the Willow Run plant up and running even before we had Federal approval or had entered the war. Really gives the reader the impression that we all owe Detroit a debt of gratitude, lest we be reading this in German right now (which I personly believe to be true).

"American Icon", by Bryce G Hoffman. The story of how Boeing executive Alan Mulally turned Ford around in spite of having no prior automotive experience and in spite of (or because of) his laid back, personable demeanor.

Those two should keep you busy for a while.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 02-19-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
then there is the debate over which is better. Us older guys having muscle cars with V8's or the modern kids having rice burners or the like when each group was in high school?
Along those lines:

a) Will 1960's muscle car prices continue to drop, as old guys die off and young kids turn to the rice burners of their youth (like what happened with antique autos and vintage hot rods)? Or - will some muscle certain muscle cars maintain their star status and continue to appreciate in value?

b) Will the rice burners ever appreciate in value to equal what we have seen with muscle cars? Are there or will there be Japanese collector cars?

c) Is it true that kids these days are not seeking their driver licenses and are spending all their time on video games and on their phones? How will this affect car club membership in the future? If it is true what can be done to counteract this trend? (There was a study shown on - of all places - MTV; the results may surprise you).

K
1986 - 2019
Old 02-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

As long as there is a Barrett and Jackson in this world, car prices will be high, for the average guy. The thought process of making millions off of collectables is nto going to go away.

As for kids an tuners, I am all for them having them, it will be their stressed out world, when their kids are driving jets and air cars and their tuners are worth millions.

Hopefully the auto industry figures out the gimmick of making a cell phone with four wheels and a steering wheel is a bad thing (Example: the Ford Synch). To Hell with the link up processes that make it more effective to text and dial up the cell phone while driving. I thought I was pretty smart and my abilities were good, unitl I saw a teenage girl with a cell phone, texting someone--while putting on makeup and snacking on fries; all the while doing 80 MPH on the Turnpike. She even had enough fingers to flip me off, when I honked at her.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
68shortwide

Quote:
Hopefully the auto industry figures out the gimmick of making a cell phone with four wheels and a steering wheel is a bad thing (Example: the Ford Synch). To Hell with the link up processes that make it more effective to text and dial up the cell phone while driving. I thought I was pretty smart and my abilities were good, unitl I saw a teenage girl with a cell phone, texting someone--while putting on makeup and snacking on fries; all the while doing 80 MPH on the Turnpike. She even had enough fingers to flip me off, when I honked at her.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
Old 02-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #10
68shortwide

These are all food for thought. As for the diehard fanboy part, he's not really a car guy, he just refuses to drive anything else. Lol
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
Old 02-21-2015, 08:41 AM   #11
Keith Seymore

Sweet geez Louise. Sometimes these things just write themselves.

I give you....

"What constitutes 'Numbers Matching'?"

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=768706

K
1986 - 2019
Old 02-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
I saw a teenage girl with a cell phone, texting someone--while putting on makeup and snacking on fries; all the while doing 80 MPH on the Turnpike. She even had enough fingers to flip me off, when I honked at her.

Thanks Frank !
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote