The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
1972CheyenneSuper

'72 Super Project: Updates!

I've been browsing this forum for the past couple of months and I must say that you guys know your stuff. I've just recently purchased a 1972 Cheyenne Super from my brothers. They were planning on restoring it but they've got other toys to work on. The truck has factory buckets and factory air conditioning. It is a two wheel drive with a long box. As you can see, there is quite a bit of work to be done sheetmetal wise and mechanically. I know many people would like to see an original restoration done with a truck of this rarity, but being sixteen years old, I need something a little more exciting. But don't worry, I have plans to keep everything intact so if I do sell it in the future, converting it back to original will be possible. I will use this thread to post any updates that I have done to the truck and also to ask for assistance if any is needed, which will more than likely be often. Here's the pics:

Last edited by 1972CheyenneSuper; 08-01-2006 at 12:02 AM.
1972CheyenneSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:20 PM   #2
1972CheyenneSuper

Re: New member with an old truck

Old 02-22-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Welcome to the forums.. It's great to see young guys like yourself that have interest in these old trucks. There's hope yet for the future..
Old 02-22-2006, 11:01 PM   #4
Joesjunk

Cool truck. You dont see too many that were two tone Medium and Dark Blue.

Loos like a great project!! Have fun!!!!
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe 91k original paint
72 Cheyenne/30 Dually
69 Camaro SS396 4-speed
13 GMC 2500HD Duramax I bought new
05 Jeep Wrangler "Willys Edition" 12k miles (I bought new)
85 3/4 ton 4x4 Scottsdale 33k miles original paint
86 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 454 restored
80 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 9,434 original miles!! original paint
95 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4 my dad bought new
95 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4, regular cab 454, 31k original miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 6.0L 67k miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 8.1L 28k miles
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 regular cab Diesel 93k miles

67-72 Parts for sale
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi! Looks like a great project.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Welcome from a 50 year old that still can`t quite leave one totally stock.That`s why I like the resto-rod approach.A truck like yours has class as it is.Like Joe said,that`s a seldom seen color combo.There were few 2-tone combos available and few ordered that didn`t use white as the accent color.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
northcountry67

Welcome to the board. I'm only 70 miles east of Grand Forks, if you need anything, drop me a line.
northcountry67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:31 AM   #8
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

Welcome to the board

Your truck looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to see you rodstore it. You did right by posting lots of pics. We all love pictures.

SOLD 1967 K10 Fleetside, 283, Front and Rear Posi SOLD

Color Wiring Diagrams Now in High Resolution
V8 and Cab and Cab and Chassis
boundstaffpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Welcome to the board - will enjoy following your progress.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:03 PM   #10
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Welcome from southern Mississippi. Nice truck and glad to have you on board

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:27 PM   #11
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

from sunny So.Cal.
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:48 AM   #12
1972CheyenneSuper

Thanks for the welcomes everybody!
I got the seats, gas tank carpet, and the fuel tank along with the fuel lines in the cab out today. I also started on getting the guage cluster out, but stopped there. I suppose I may as well list a few of my plans. For an engine I will be getting a 5.7 Vortech from the place that I work. Engine management will be handled by a Painless Wiring Harness, possibly along with a complete truck harness. For the suspension I would like to go air ride, with an AirOverLeaf system in rear and the regular system in front. I do plan on doing a frame off so everything underneath will be cleaned and fixed as needed along with a fuel tank somewhere on the frame. For the interior I am looking at some nice bucket seats, but I will keep the originals in case I ever convert it back, it's just that by the time I refoam and recover the originals, I could have bought some that will be twice as comfortable and look nice too. Sandblasting is in the works too to uncover as many problem areas as possible. I want this truck to last a long time so a little time now will save a lot of time later. Although the bed was primered by the previous owner, I believe bondo was used to cover up a few things. I also need to get some doors, front fenders and inners, tailgate, along with the patch panels. I am leaning towards LMC truck because they have free truck freight on orders over $1000. Thanks again for the warm welcomes.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:25 AM   #13
OLDROCK&ROLLER

Welcome to the board from S-E N.C. Good luck on your project sounds nice. I like um with some mods. check out the board vendors before buying from that other place.

Kenneth
Old 08-01-2006, 12:22 AM   #14
1972CheyenneSuper

Well, I've made some major headway on the truck, with the limited time that I have. Much has been removed, and the cab is about ready to come off, next day or so. My plans with the truck has changed. I want to completely redo it original with the exception of the engine, transmission, suspension, and wheels. I got the 5.7 Vortec cleaned up and painted with new intake gaskets and an oil pan gasket. I'm also about to pick up my 4l60E. My Painless Wiring harness for the truck chassis and also the engine will be in my hands on Wednesday. That's about it, now for the good stuff:

Also if a moderator could change the name of this thread to:
'72 Super Project: Updates!
It would be most appreciated.

Last edited by 1972CheyenneSuper; 08-01-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:38 AM   #15
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: '72 Super Project: Updates!

Nice project. See how your title change works too.

Bill's Gallery
Old 08-01-2006, 05:34 PM   #16
1972CheyenneSuper

It looks good, thank you.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #17
67chevy2wd

1972CheyenneSuper, That is a very nice looking truck. Where in ND are you located? I live about 30 miles west of Bismarck. Oh and hello from ND.
'71 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4
‘71 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd suburban
67chevy2wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #18
1972CheyenneSuper

Thanks 67chevy2wd. I live in Minot.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #19
67chevy2wd

Cool, I was just up there for the big fair. Went to see Keri Underwood(not by choice) but it was a good concert. I suppose you know where Beulah is then, not too far from Minot.
'71 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4
‘71 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd suburban
67chevy2wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:41 AM   #20
toms68cst

Hello from Bismarck. Nice project you have there!

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #21
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Glad to see she is moving along again. Will be looking forward to more updates.

Bill's Gallery
Old 10-06-2016, 11:59 PM   #22
1972CheyenneSuper

Thank you Palf70Step

I didn't get a whole lot done last weekend other than getting the front cross member bolted on. I also removed the front cab mounts of my original '72 frame. Still need to track down a set of rear cab mounts. Picked up a nice set of trailing arms on Tuesday, and worked on stripping them down for blasting, and getting some other misc. parts ready for blasting.

Yesterday, I gave ECE a call and ordered up a 4/6 drop kit, LS mounts, and some other parts. I also managed to get the last upper control arm stud that he had so I lucked out there. Stuff will hopefully roll in next week sometime.

I debated buying the conversion axles and parts for my '67 rear end, but in the end I decided to take my '72 rear end and cut the leaf spring brackets off and weld on the saddles I'll be getting from ECE. My question is will I be ok matching the factory pinion angle of my '67 rear end and later using angled shims to get it where it needs to be. I know the best would be to wait until the whole weight of the truck is together and set the angle and weld eliminating the need for shims. The only issue is, I am going to be a long time from having any sort of body on this thing, and I would like to blast and paint the rear end now. Does anybody else with a 4/6 drop recall what they're using for shims and a factory rear?
Old 10-17-2016, 11:57 PM   #23
1972CheyenneSuper

Well, I have finally got most of the big items blasted and painted this past weekend. That was my main goal as we are getting closer to snowfall here. I'm hoping to have a rolling chassis by Thanksgiving, but we'll see how that goes. As I said before, I had ordered some parts from ECE and they showed up last week.

I think there is some unwritten rule about showing the box pile so here it is.

Contents Include:
-4"/6" Drop Kit - 2.5" Spindles, 1.5" Front Springs, 6" Rear Springs,
-Front/Rear Shocks
-Shock Relocator Kit
-Super Track Bar
-LS Engine Mounts
-Lower A-Arm U-Bolts
-Swaybar bushing set w/ lowered brackets
-Trailing Arm Bushings
-Weld-on axle saddles
-ECE Transmission Crossmember
-Coil Spring Retainer Kit

This stuff was all packaged very nicely into those boxes and everything was well wrapped. I thought for sure that a few boxes were missing or coming later, but it was packed into those.

For anyone that has sandblasted their own parts, I'm sure you will agree with me that any future projects will be taken to somebody. I bought this pot blaster 10 years ago when I started this thing, and hadn't used it until I started this truck. It works really good, when a person is blasting. Most of the time is spent not blasting though. Time is spent setting up a catch area if you plan on reusing your media. You've got to sweep up and collect your media. You have to screen it all before you put it back in the blaster. Add in breaks for your air compressor and so forth, and you've got a lot of time wondering why you didn't hire it out. I set up this blasting "horseshoe" four times in the last couple of months and every time I do, I dread it. It works good for recollecting the media, but it is a very slow process if you are not setup for it regularly.

The weeekend prior to this past one, I blasted the trailing arms I picked up the week prior, the rear most crossmember, my front cab mount brackets, center link, rear brake drums, my '72 leaf spring rear end after grinding off all of the brackets, and the ends of the axles.

The trailing arms I picked up were in really good shape. Probably about the best possible condition you'll find them in this state anyways. Every set I've seen have gotten small rocks wedged between the two rails and they keep collecting inside and spreading the rails further apart. These had only a slight gap but I wanted to clean them out anyways. So they were split apart and then rebolted back together after blasting, followed up by a few stitch welds on the top and bottom.

Thursday night I was able to get some paint on them and my other blasted pieces. You don't realize until you're running a brush on these arms, but there is a ton of surface area to cover, they must have take 20-30 mins each.

Also blasted and painted this high hump cover I picked up for $15 at the same place I picked up the trailing arms for $75 each. Pretty happy with that find.

Here's the leaf spring rear end that came out the truck in the original post. This one has 3.07 gears in it compared to the 3.73's that were in the 6 lug rear I was going to use. I'm not sure how well it's going to work with the 6l80, but I guess we'll see.

So after talking with Stan at ECE, he didn't seem to recall of having to shim rear ends for the normal drops that they offer, so I decided to match the pinion angle of the other rear end I had. I used some steel tubing and a variety of shims to set up a level work platform. I placed the factory coil spring rear end on it and took a bunch of reference measurements. Then I placed my blasted housing on the saddles, and after a couple hours of measuring, rechecking, and measuring again I placed a few tack welds on, and checked a few times more. Once I was sure it was where it needed to be, I welded the new saddles on, stitching about an inch at a time alternating between sides and letting it cool down some.

Slapped some paint on it Saturday and a few other parts and we're good to go.

I didn't get much time yesterday to work on the truck, but at least now, the big stuff is out of the way, and I can get some work done. I mounted most of the misc. small brackets and loosely installed the trailing arms after putting the new bushings in. Put the LS engine mounts on as well.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #24
1972CheyenneSuper

Back again with another update. I have since gotten the rearend bolted in, rear brakes done, front suspension put together, and the whole frame back on wheels for the first time in a long time for this project. I actually had the frame on wheels a week ahead of my goal so I'm track so far. Two weekends ago I disassembled the 5.3 and prepped/painted it. I think it really cleaned up good. Last weekend was spent cleaning up and painting other odds and ends. This past Wednesday night my dad and I pulled the midnight shift and got the engine and transmission mated again and setting on the frame mounts. Friday, I was able to the transmission and engine centered and set and every thing buttoned up. Now I just need to get some sheetmetal ordered up.

Last edited by 1972CheyenneSuper; 11-26-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:20 PM   #25
1972CheyenneSuper

Re-reading my last comments and as a side note, the part number I gave for the parking brake cable is for a trailing arm setup. I am fairly certain that a leaf spring setup would be a different piece, for anyone else using the mentioned numbers.

Haven't gotten a whole lot done this past week and weekend due to a winter storm and also the fact that I've been sick the last 4 days. But I did manage to get a little motivational poster done for myself this morning. I found a truck picture online that matched pretty closely what I have in mind and photoshopped the dark blue bottom color and the medium blue roof and a few other odds and ends. I believe these wheels on the drawing are 20's, whereas I'll probably be in the 18" range so I have a little more sidewall. There is always the chance of going rally wheels too, I haven't entirely decided. I'll be finalizing my sheet metal shopping list this weekend and getting some stuff ordered so I can get going again in a couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to it.