The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
papsoldblue72

Question Header help

I need some different headers..... What kind???? I don't know please help.... I have a 72 long bed with a 350 and angle plug heads.... Which is where my problem comes in.... The headers I bought from summit don't fit.... The driver side number 3 cylinder hits the sparkplug.... I have looked into header plugs but they are only short on the threaded part not the porcelain part..... "Why you make header plugs to clear your headers and the outside part not be shorter I'll never know..." If anyone has some they want to get rid of or knows someone that does please let me know .... I need some but I don't want spend a fortune on them...... Thanks in advance....

It's been a long time coming... It's time to get it done..
papsoldblue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Header help

Accel makes shorty plugs.
Short on the porcelain.
IIRC NGk does too.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/sear...spark-plug/yes
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:15 AM   #3
papsoldblue72

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Accel makes shorty plugs.
Short on the porcelain.
IIRC NGk does too.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/sear...spark-plug/yes
Sorry geezer#99 I ordered these and picked them up at the auto parts store and laid them side by side and there is no difference in the length of the porcelain portion of the plug... unless I am running the wrong plug... I am running procomp heads. So I called them and the plug they recommended is the one I am running..... I can't remember the number....

Old 07-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by papsoldblue72 View Post
I need some different headers..... What kind???? I don't know please help.... I have a 72 long bed with a 350 and angle plug heads.... Which is where my problem comes in.... The headers I bought from summit don't fit.... The driver side number 3 cylinder hits the sparkplug.... I have looked into header plugs but they are only short on the threaded part not the porcelain part..... "Why you make header plugs to clear your headers and the outside part not be shorter I'll never know..." If anyone has some they want to get rid of or knows someone that does please let me know .... I need some but I don't want spend a fortune on them...... Thanks in advance....
When I bought the engine for my truck there were fewer than 500 of that engine that had been sold by GM. It was unusual block with a different head design and no one I called knew what headers to use. I did know a header manufacturer that had an excellent tech line, so I called them. They had a set that would fit and I have not had any problems with them. Ever. Call the Sanderson Headers tech line, tell them what motor and heads you are running and if there is a set that fits that combo they will know about it.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
papsoldblue72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
When I bought the engine for my truck there were fewer than 500 of that engine that had been sold by GM. It was unusual block with a different head design and no one I called knew what headers to use. I did know a header manufacturer that had an excellent tech line, so I called them. They had a set that would fit and I have not had any problems with them. Ever. Call the Sanderson Headers tech line, tell them what motor and heads you are running and if there is a set that fits that combo they will know about it.
Thanks Fitz I will call them but I was really looking for something like a cheap fix...

Old 07-08-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
Z10

Sanderson CC11. Installed on my 72 GMC with ZZ4 & angle plugs.

More photos on my build thread.

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote