The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2022, 12:59 PM   #1
'66fleetside

Lets see y'alls exhaust setups

I am in the process of building a stroker motor for my '63, going with the Comp 268XF cam with a 515/520 lift and 113 lsa. Part number for my kit was K12-366-4. Anybody here using this cam? wondering what exhaust setups are going to sound very aggressive? I will be using long tube headers and I have not decided if I want to run it all the way over the axle and out the back, or if I would rather do dumps. Thanks!
'66fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:53 PM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: Lets see y'alls exhaust setups

Wow, I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum. As to your exhaust question I am only of partial help as I see you're wanting an aggressive tone and I am all the way on the other end of the spectrum with a very quiet tone. The one thing I think that I would do every time is get those pipes over and outta there. Beside dramatically lowering the interior drone at speed (Drone sucks, no matter the tone.) you also get the engine fumes away from your cab as well. And even if YOU don't care about those things, most passengers (especially those of the female persuation) do.

Also, if I may get on the "old guy" soap box for a minute regarding loud exhaust. You only get one set of ears, (At 56 years old I am getting hearing aids this winter.) I suggest building yourself a modest muscle car type exhaust and adding a pair of cut outs to it. Then you can let 'er rip when you want, but also be respectful and hush it up, or just glide thru town while hearing every word from your sweethearts lips.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:51 PM   #3
MT65

First question you have to ask yourself is ..
Do I want them to see me coming..or
Do I want them to hear me coming….

The menu is huge on mufflers and exhaust, lots of opinions…personally I like over the rearend and somewhere out the back…good sound and not dusty…
Attached Images

MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:34 PM   #4
65truckowner

Here is mine IMG_5713 by Daniel Crymes, on Flickr
65truckowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 02:02 PM   #5
'66fleetside

Thanks for the welcome, yes sir I do understand what you mean about only having one set of ears. I am 18 and my ears are already fading, I have taken very poor care of them around motorcycles and cars. After doing some thinking, I agree that it is best to get the pipes all the way out the back. I think I am going to look into doing the cutouts, my only fear is hearing an exhaust leak when they are closed. Thanks for the advice sir!
'66fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:27 PM   #6
AcampoDave

Imagine a ringing in your ears like you just popped of a round from a 38 special....that's me all the time from too much gasoline fueled noise. It's never too late to respect your ears. Glad to hear your thinking about it. As for the cut outs...careful research and reading reviews should turn up something reliable...I think I'd start on Amazon.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:55 PM   #7
AcampoDave

Here are pair of threads from when I was building my own exhaust. They have a few pics in there of how I laid it out and some commentary on some of the products I used.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=792007
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830968
Old 10-08-2022, 10:58 AM   #8
bhap

I wanted quiet and went with a mandrel bent 2 into 1 (2-1/2” into 3”) with a resonator and big old, 22” single muffler. The 3” goes up and over the rear axle and comes out behind the driver side rear wheel. The setup is quiet at idle and cruising, but has a little bark when you put your foot into it.
Posted via Mobile Device
bhap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 10:40 PM   #9
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhap View Post
I wanted quiet and went with a mandrel bent 2 into 1 (2-1/2” into 3”) with a resonator and big old, 22” single muffler. The 3” goes up and over the rear axle and comes out behind the driver side rear wheel. The setup is quiet at idle and cruising, but has a little bark when you put your foot into it.
Posted via Mobile Device
if was going to do it over again I would seriously consider something like that. "Silverado Style" is what I call it.