The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2022, 12:11 AM   #701
Just call me Sean

Re: What did you do to your truck today??

Shocking!

My truck is stuck in the mud in my yard. It's been raining a lot lately. I'm hoping the ground will have soaked in a lot of the water by morning. I stopped before the wheels sank too much.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:04 AM   #702
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Put new shocks on the front of the '91. I had been hearing a clunk under the front end lately so I crawled under there to find the bushing was completely gone from the lower shock mount on one and while both shocks were dry the other one began dripping oil while I was under there looking. Isn't that timely? I believe those were the original shocks too. 85,000 miles. I had to use heat, the death wheel 5000 and air chisel on one upper bolt and impact wrench on the other one. Rides nice and quiet now. Oh and I put on Monroe gasmatics. I used to buy 4 of those for what 1 costs now. Geez.
I put new shocks on the front of my Suburban last spring. I was wondering if I replaced the originals. 230k on it now! I used to run Gasmatics many years ago, like since the '70s! I got Pro-Comps this time. Still need to install the rear ones. No leaks or bad bushings but both shocks I removed gave little resistance. Definitely feels better now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
Shocking!

My truck is stuck in the mud in my yard. It's been raining a lot lately. I'm hoping the ground will have soaked in a lot of the water by morning. I stopped before the wheels sank too much.
Sounds like fun. I hope it's better now, but sounds like you need a tug or get a board under the tire. Still terra firma around here after getting rain

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 01:23 PM   #703
Just call me Sean

The ground is saturated, the topsoil turns to mush. It will be a while until it dries up. I had to have my wife pull me out with the van. It has weight over the rear axle so it gets traction. The trucks don't do well in it, especially mine with the trailer.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:00 PM   #704
special-K
Special Order

I have limestone quarries all around the area I can pick a scoop up for cheap. I have no excuse. I guess the only rock you have around there is on the radio

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-21-2022, 01:27 AM   #705
Just call me Sean

One of my wheel cylinders is leaking. I need to check my receipts to see if it's under warranty.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:31 AM   #706
special-K
Special Order

I have a leaking p/s hose. I got both new pressure hoses (hydraboost) laying on the passenger floor. Almost fixed!

I'm ready to rotate tires and check on my brake situation. I scored a rotor and never replaced that. It's stopping fine but would like to get brakes 100% again

Tim

Old 09-21-2022, 10:37 AM   #707
Boog
laying low

I have bought parts but lost them while looking for the round to it.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:36 AM   #708
special-K
Special Order

I'm there again! A good while back I traded my storage cubby out of my dash for the factory am/fm/cass/cd but was waiting till I took care of my '95-only heat control issue. I went to put the stereo in and discovered the harness to connect the two units wasn't in the box. I found one on Ebay and bought it. That was early this summer. I went to put it in the truck a couple weeks ago and the harness wasn't with the stereo! It's just not meant to be!! I still haven't scoured the place for it, but why would it be anywhere else? It didn't cost that much. I might just buy another

Tim

Old 09-22-2022, 11:54 AM   #709
Just call me Sean

I have a brand new alternator on my back seat, it's been there for months. I can't find the bracket I made to mount it to the engine, for dual alternators. It was on my old van until I retired it and pulled the engine.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:20 AM   #710
special-K
Special Order

The first year I bought this Suburban, which was almost 8 years ago, The starter developed a dead spot, but it would start. I usually have starters rebuilt, but I buy them if I need them right away. I went and bought one. It sat in the box on the passenger floor forever, like a year. One day I realized I couldn't remember the last time the starter acted up, so I took it out of the truck and returned it. I really didn't expect them to take it back after all that time, but I got my refund!

And hey! Don't be making fun of my lack of organization and ability to find parts when I need them just because I told you about that stereo harness missing yesterday. It just so happens that not long after I was in my truck looking for something else on the passenger seat and I uncovered that harness right there! I'm more organized than I thought. I had it right where I needed it for the install. I'm just a knucklehead for not having the stereo on the seat, too! I could make room

Tim

Old 10-01-2022, 01:11 PM   #711
Just call me Sean

I've been having issues with the taillights on the 99 which I thought was the connector plate. I was going to order new ones but they would have taken a week to get here, so I got the whole taillights and cut off the plug with them from the junkyard. I installed them and got them working but they're still touchy so I might have to install the plug I cut off too. I'm going to split the old plates and see if I can make the upper bulb act as a brake light too as a little custom touch, since only the lower bulb is a brake light from the factory. I've been searching for a factory jack for the 93 for a long time and finally found one. It was laying loose in a truck. I still need to find the plastic nut for the case cover and I have to check the 99 because I think there's another plastic thing missing. For some reason the 93 had one wrong seatbelt end for the back seat, and I've had that for a while so I finally installed it. I also finally installed the sun visors I got a while ago.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2022, 01:45 PM   #712
special-K
Special Order

I need to get to the junk yard. I'll look for a jack cover nut. They're colored, right?

Tim

Old 10-01-2022, 02:36 PM   #713
Just call me Sean

Yes they're colored but my interior is a mix of blue and grey. Grey originally the case is grey but my front seat, door panels and visors are blue. And that one seatbelt clip cover is blue.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:42 AM   #714
special-K
Special Order

Ok. I'll look for a red one . We both have Civil War theme interiors . My '95 is blue. I was happy to find decent earlier hi-backs in blue. I found the console in the JY, but grey. I was going to dye it but it looks ok. I had replaced my glovebox door that came broken with a grey door. But I found a blue one since.

Tim

Old 10-03-2022, 08:44 PM   #715
Just call me Sean

The blue and grey go together pretty well. I don't even really notice it anymore.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:33 AM   #716
special-K
Special Order

I feel my color scheme is more in line now with the grey console. I call it "custom aged". The front door panels are faded to grey on the top and blend to original blue on the way down. I had second thoughts about switching out the grey glovebox door for the blue one. Not sure how much I like the all blue look of the dash now. It's so factory

I ordered a fan motor for my heater. While I was at it I splurged on a brake peddle pad, too. I noticed the original is wearing through. Doggone it! I screwed up and selected the parking brake pad! I already replaced that. I still need a transfer case switch, so I'll throw the brake pedal pad in on that one.

We have had rain since Friday evening. Supposed to finally move off after tomorrow morning (Wed). If it let's up a while this afternoon I'm hitting the JY. I have some inside work for this morning

Tim

Old 10-04-2022, 11:19 PM   #717
Just call me Sean

You got me to look at my brake pedal. I only use the corner, it's pretty worn.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:23 AM   #718
special-K
Special Order

I see shiny on the inner side by the gas peddle. If they were square we could just flip them around for another 25 years . I want to replace it so people looking in to admire my custom 2-tone interior won't get upset

Tim

Old 10-16-2022, 04:12 PM   #719
Just call me Sean

I got a flat on Thursday. Also, the left turn signal stopped canceling itself which I figured was a busted spring so I picked them up. Four dollars and I had to order them, open package shown. Found the broken spring in there, screwdriver pointing at it. New spring installed in bottom pic, bottom shiny spring.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2022, 02:20 AM   #720
pjmoreland

I replaced the driver door hinge bushings this evening. The detent roller was missing, so I replaced that as well. The door still sags a little at the rear. I think the hole for the small end of each pin is worn. I saw a suggestion to tack weld the end of each pin while lifting up on the back of the door. I can't bring myself to do that because then it would be a real pain if I ever need to remove the door.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 08:12 AM   #721
special-K
Special Order

These doors do like to sag.

Tim

Old 10-19-2022, 09:23 AM   #722
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I replaced the driver door hinge bushings this evening. The detent roller was missing, so I replaced that as well. The door still sags a little at the rear. I think the hole for the small end of each pin is worn. I saw a suggestion to tack weld the end of each pin while lifting up on the back of the door. I can't bring myself to do that because then it would be a real pain if I ever need to remove the door.
You can get oversize bushings and drill the hinges to fit.
Never done it with a GM but I have with my brothers' Dodge Ram.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:43 AM   #723
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
You can get oversize bushings and drill the hinges to fit.
Never done it with a GM but I have with my brothers' Dodge Ram.
Thank you. I'll look into that.
Old 10-20-2022, 01:43 PM   #724
pjmoreland

The previous owner of my new '89 K1500 broke every plastic part he worked on including the large plastic shroud on the steering column that the shift indicator cable clips to. The steering column had to be 100% disassembled to get that piece off. Took two hours to disassemble, and 2.5 to reassemble. While I was in there, I replaced the turn signal switch, the turn signal cancelling cam (the contact metal was worn all the way through in one spot), steering wheel (a '70s truck steering wheel was on there), and I installed a cruise control turn signal lever.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2022, 07:46 AM   #725
Boog
laying low

It's pretty busy down inside those columns. I didn't have to completely disassemble my 91 but went far enough for me. Those 4 screws in the center holding the upper part together had backed out. I put them back in with Loctite too! The little tool I had to buy just to pull the pivot pin out wasn't expensive but I'll likely never use it again.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote