The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
tutone

Windshield Wiper woes

Ok before you tell me to search, and I did, I have read the thread by Loc Doc over and over again, every piece of info I find on this subject, is not moving me along. It all started when I changed out my dash pad last weekend. I got it changed and put my cluster back in and reconnected everything as it was. By the way my wipers worked flawlessly before this happened. I got in it Monday AM and hit the switch for to wipe off the condensation and NOTHING. I switched back off and pushed the washer and they came on and parked after 1 revolution. Ok I naturally assumed it was a switch problem so I ordered one from Brothers. It of course, is not here yet. I tested my switch , and it seems flakey . I said all that to ask this. I would like to rig a temporary switch up so I can drive it without worries. I have 12v at the motor and 12 Vt at the switch plug. According to the expert advice, I should be able to ground both hot wiper legs of the switch to the dash and get low speed. Anyway, I did that and NOTHING. What am I missing.? And the worst part of this, I'm an electrician. What a PITA. It is a 67 3 prong wiper motor.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Windshield Wiper woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Ok before you tell me to search, and I did, I have read the thread by Loc Doc over and over again, every piece of info I find on this subject, is not moving me along. It all started when I changed out my dash pad last weekend. I got it changed and put my cluster back in and reconnected everything as it was. By the way my wipers worked flawlessly before this happened. I got in it Monday AM and hit the switch for to wipe off the condensation and NOTHING. I switched back off and pushed the washer and they came on and parked after 1 revolution. Ok I naturally assumed it was a switch problem so I ordered one from Brothers. It of course, is not here yet. I tested my switch , and it seems flakey . I said all that to ask this. I would like to rig a temporary switch up so I can drive it without worries. I have 12v at the motor and 12 Vt at the switch plug. According to the expert advice, I should be able to ground both hot wiper legs of the switch to the dash and get low speed. Anyway, I did that and NOTHING. What am I missing.? And the worst part of this, I'm an electrician. What a PITA. It is a 67 3 prong wiper motor.

Have you checked the fuse? Also make sure there isn't any rust in the fuse holder. The switch only provides a ground for the circuit.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #3
michael bustamante

I'm not too sure but I think the 67 wiper switch may be a lil different. you did what I did and ran your own ground basically.. you might have to run a seperate ground source from the switch to the wipers and see what happens
Old 03-08-2018, 08:11 PM   #4
tutone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Have you checked the fuse? Also make sure there isn't any rust in the fuse holder. The switch only provides a ground for the circuit.

LockDoc
Yes. Fuse is good. Like I said, I have 12 v at the wiper terminals and 12 vt at the wiper plug as tested with a meter. Now about the difference on a 67. It is a different switch when you order it but shouldn't it work the same? If the motor is picking up a hard ground from the switch, is it possible my motor and switch crapped out at the same time?
Old 03-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #5
tutone

Here is a simple diagram of the known values for the circuit. If I am assuming something wrong, please line me out.
Attached Images