The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
Baker819

Question Trouble with throw out bearing / clutch set up

I spent a lot of time researching the correct way to set up a clutch a couple thousand miles ago when I had my engine out for a rebuild. Now the engine and trans are out again for a chassis rebuild and I was resealing some leaks and took the trans out for a quick look... only my throw out bearing mangled I thriple checked every thing when It was all apart because I am really tired of having trouble with my clutch ever since I upgrade to the Tremec TKO600 5 speed. Here are a list of the parts I am using-

-Tremec TKO-600 5 speed
-Lakewood bellhousing, clutch fork and adjustable pivot ball
-McLeod 11" clutch kit (Street pro I think... it's nothing to special)
-longer dowel pins that are offset to tune the bell housing in (which it is only .002" off, .005" is the max for the TKO-600)
-Center Force all steel flywheel

It bent in three spots and cracked next to the biggest of the bends which hit the inside of the "C" of the fork.

When I was setting it up last time. I had the flywheel installed and than skipped the clutch and installed the bellhousing. Measure to the pivot ball and took the required measurements and than took the bellhousing off and installed the clutch and than installed the bellhousing again. I know my linkage has always been kind of crooked but I dont think that would effect this? I am making a new frame bracket and a bracket that comes off the bellhousing to perfectly align the two.

I know there are different length throw out bearings maybe I got the wrong one but I know I figured in the size when I did all the math for the set up.

What do you guys think?

I think I am getting to much pressure on the throwout bearing and it must be to close to the pressure plate/flywheel and I need to adjust the pivot ball away from the flywheel.

I will have to reinstall the throwout bearing and see how parallel the clutch fork is to the flywheel.

Baker819 is offline   Reply With Quote