The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2021, 06:37 PM   #1
chadzilla500

67 C10 want to do coil over conversion.. bye bye air bags

Does anyone know of a good coil over conversion for the front that is also 1" narrower or more than stock? I cant seem to find one. They are all either stock width or they are not coilovers.

PS:
I have a big block.
I want to use stock frame/crossmember
Attached Images

chadzilla500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: 67 C10 want to do coil over conversion.. bye bye air bags

I've never seen C/O based a-arms that were not part of a larger 'kit'.

If you want narrowed arms only, you'll need to visit the usual suspects/sources for stock x-member arms (Porterbuilt, GSI, Choppin Block, etc). The lower C/O mount is just a matter of finding/making a bracket that can be welded to a plate & bolts in where an air bag would have been originally mounted. I have C/O's bolted in where air bags would for my front set-up. I'm using an aftermarket x-member but there is no need for specific C/O arms depending how you set it up.

For your needs, check out this build. He modded stuff & used the Ridetech/POL type upper bracket arrangment w/a modded OE x-member....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799484
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-28-2021 at 04:46 PM.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

I would repost in the suspension section. Several of the vendors as well many suspension guru's hang there and at least one person should know the answer to your question.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
chadzilla500

I did post it over there.. no one responded except for a guy that said i shouldnt double post lol
Old 10-29-2021, 12:16 PM   #5
chadzilla500

I appreciate it! with my offset on my wheels... i have zero room in that front end by the fender. seems like coil spring is the only option.. i just really like the adjustablity of a coilover.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:37 PM   #6
biketopia

Call no limit engineering. Rob and the guys over there are top notch and very knowledgeable. I have his whole coil over and crossmember set up to go on my truck.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:26 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadzilla500 View Post
I appreciate it! with my offset on my wheels... i have zero room in that front end by the fender. seems like coil spring is the only option.. i just really like the adjustablity of a coilover.
What size/back-space?

If a coil fits, a bag will. Narrowed a-arms for bags are available. A C/O is just a couple brackets away from working where a bag was.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-01-2021, 12:39 PM   #8
chadzilla500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
What size/back-space?

If a coil fits, a bag will. Narrowed a-arms for bags are available. A C/O is just a couple brackets away from working where a bag was.
I have bags now... i really want to do coil overs for adjustability.. tired of dealing with the airbag set up.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #9
SkidmoreGarage

What SCOTI is trying to say that there is nothing special about the a-arms in most coilover "kits". You just need a way to bolt in the coilovers to the lower a-arm and frame. A one inch narrowed front end is kind custom territory for a coilover (the general idea of a coilover front end is to improve suspension kinematics versus narrowing the location of the ball joint to replicate an articulating airbag setup), which may mean that adapting what you already have may make sense, or call up a company that makes their own parts that will work with your application and their design.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
What SCOTI is trying to say that there is nothing special about the a-arms in most coilover "kits". You just need a way to bolt in the coilovers to the lower a-arm and frame. A one inch narrowed front end is kind custom territory for a coilover (the general idea of a coilover front end is to improve suspension kinematics versus narrowing the location of the ball joint to replicate an articulating airbag setup), which may mean that adapting what you already have may make sense, or call up a company that makes their own parts that will work with your application and their design.
Exactly & Thank you @SkidmoreGarage.

The specific point was one can adapt C/O's fairly easy using a narrowed air-bag style (plated) lower a-arm which are readily available. You just need to make a lower mount that bolts in where the bag was. You'll also need upper arms that can clear the C/O as well & fab an upper bracket.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-01-2021, 01:52 PM   #11
chadzilla500

Quote:
Exactly & Thank you @SkidmoreGarage.

The specific point was one can adapt C/O's fairly easy using a narrowed air-bag style (plated) lower a-arm which are readily available. You just need to make a lower mount that bolts in where the bag was. You'll also need upper arms that can clear the C/O as well & fab an upper bracket.
I really appreciate it guys! i was looking at the porterbuilt kit arms and getting a qa1 coilover to try and make it work.
I guess time and $ will tell.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:58 PM   #12
SCOTI

PB makes some nice parts.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-02-2021, 10:09 AM   #13
Stickman

Quote:
PB makes some nice parts.
Like Scoti said, give Nate at PB a call, I'm sure he can help you out or give you some direction and he's not far from your location so you could pick them up and save some money on freight.
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote