The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2022, 11:52 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Temple City
Posts: 3,280
First tpi

Anyone use or know of someone who has used this intake manifold?

https://firstfuelinjection.com/
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:07 AM   #2
mattfranklin
Senior Member
 
mattfranklin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Moraga, CA
Posts: 749
Re: First tpi

No direct experience, but this is my 35,000 foot view on them...

I seem to remember that Richard Holdener has dyno tested the original SBC TPI manifolds on his YouTube channel. Again, if I remember correctly, they were pretty good for torque, but not as strong on the high end, due to their long tubes. Maybe pretty good for the needs of our trucks?

As a kid who saw these come out new on Corvettes and Camaros in the '80s, I think they look super cool.

I'm guessing they are a lot harder to find in the junkyards than the were 15-20 years ago.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Anyone use or know of someone who has used this intake manifold?

https://firstfuelinjection.com/
__________________
(Very) Slow-Going Build Thread: Stock 1970 Short Step with Stock 1970 LT-1

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340

Last edited by mattfranklin; 08-11-2022 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typos
mattfranklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:45 PM   #3
Rickysnickers
Moderator

 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Eagle, ID
Posts: 2,048
Re: First tpi

My $.02, if you are looking at this, https://firstfuelinjection.com/shop-...t-tpi-wfast-ez, I'd suggest looking at an Edelbrock Pro Flo 4. It's less expensive and has really good customer support. In fact Edelbrock has it's own forum for their Pro Flo 4, if you have any issues and for answering any questions you might have.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:13 PM   #4
MySons68C20
Senior Member
 
MySons68C20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wenatchee, Wa
Posts: 622
Re: First tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
My $.02, if you are looking at this, https://firstfuelinjection.com/shop-...t-tpi-wfast-ez, I'd suggest looking at an Edelbrock Pro Flo 4. It's less expensive and has really good customer support. In fact Edelbrock has it's own forum for their Pro Flo 4, if you have any issues and for answering any questions you might have.
I concur with Ricky. My 20 yr old son bought this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-35710 and it was simple to install, fired up right away and lot of tunes to choose from. He runs it all off his cell phone and can tune on the fly etc.
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:07 AM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Temple City
Posts: 3,280
Re: First tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfranklin View Post
No direct experience, but this is my 35,000 foot view on them...

I seem to remember that Richard Holdener has dyno tested the original SBC TPI manifolds on his YouTube channel. Again, if I remember correctly, they were pretty good for torque, but not as strong on the high end, due to their long tubes. Maybe pretty good for the needs of our trucks?

As a kid who saw these come out new on Corvettes and Camaros in the '80s, I think they look super cool.

I'm guessing they are a lot harder to find in the junkyards than the were 15-20 years ago.
TPI's are readily available if you look, but to get one flowing good enough to compete. It is nearly the same price

Also the First TPI is a improved version much like the Accel super rams. How much improved I don't know as I have not found any sort of A-B testing.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:17 AM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Temple City
Posts: 3,280
Re: First tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
My $.02, if you are looking at this, https://firstfuelinjection.com/shop-...t-tpi-wfast-ez, I'd suggest looking at an Edelbrock Pro Flo 4. It's less expensive and has really good customer support. In fact Edelbrock has it's own forum for their Pro Flo 4, if you have any issues and for answering any questions you might have.
I am not bagging on Edelbrock, but it offers nothing over my LT1 factory intakes. Other then improved looks.

Where the TPI offers increased torque from 2000 to 4500 rpm. With 40-50 lbft increase possible vs short runner intakes. Like my LT1.

Is the First TPI a good option for a 400/425 hp 383 LT1? Versus a regular TPI. Although I will say a short runner intake would leave to much torque on the plate for a cruiser. For me personally.

For my C10 with 4.88 gears. The TPI would not be ideal. So I will be putting a match ported intake on it with 24X software this fall when my hand heals enough. To which the Edelbrock would not be a bad option conceptvwise.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:37 PM   #7
LS short box
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Carlos MN
Posts: 1,215
Re: First tpi

Another source for a aftermarket TPI manifold is TPIS Inc in the MPLS area.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:38 PM   #8
Ziegelsteinfaust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Temple City
Posts: 3,280
Re: First tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Another source for a aftermarket TPI manifold is TPIS Inc in the MPLS area.
Just checked. They don't do much tpi anymore, or atleast right now. So I would have to scour ebay for there old stuff.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2022 67-72chevytrucks.com