The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2023, 07:54 AM   #1
Sebambam

Steering issue/ Drop spindles?

Guys i run 2.5 Drop spindles + 3 in lowering springs (CPP) with shorter shocks+ bump steer tie rods

I Face a almost non "Rolling" when my steering is either R or L ( not even full tilt).
i cant move much in Forward or Reverse , its like i am stuck, and have to roll over a object.

Tires dont rub (235/5517)
Any idea where this is coming from? to low? geometry issues?
Attached Images

Sebambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 10:30 AM   #2
pjmoreland

Re: Steering issue/ Drop spindles?

Maybe your centerlink is installed backwards, like in the following thread. The nuts for the inner tie rod ends should be facing forward.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=736633
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 10:57 PM   #3
RustyPile

Well, I hate to say this without being right there with you ---- but is sounds like you have a toe angle change when the steering is moved from the straight ahead position.. This is a steering issue.. Bump steer becomes a problem anytime you lower one of these trucks..

Here's how that occurs. The upper ball joint swings in a shorter arc radius than the lower because the upper arm is shorter.. At normal ride height the ball joint is at and/or very near on a tangent to this arc. When the truck is lowered, the ball joint is no longer on that tangent. Any movement up or down causes a change in camber. The tie rod holds the steering in a stationary position, so the change in camber causes the toe angle to change.. Bump steer is the result.. And in your case, when you try to roll the vehicle, the excessive toe angle makes the tire resist the roll. Another factor that can add to bump steer is when the tie rod is not parallel to the straight line between the lower ball joint and the end of the lower control arm shaft.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 01:01 AM   #4
Accelo

Just out of the picture so we can't tell but the nuts that attache the rod ends to the center link should be installed from the front side. Check that first.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:56 PM   #5
68 P.O.S.

I agree with the centerlink possibility. Snap us a pic of it.

Normally the outer tie rod is attached to the spindle from the top, not up through the bottom....unless you modded it someway.