The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #251
ptc

Re: 1956 Chevy Pro-Street Build

Well the super-duper supercharger box came the other day..... and I got everything unpackaged.... This thing is a monster! I would say a LARGE pizza could cover this thing laying down.... and Im sure it could swallow it whole through the massive 5" inlet!

Gonna start mock-up of it this weekend hopefully and see how it fits into the engine compartment.... how much fender has to be removed!!!! lol
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #252
diceman50

Damn ptc,

I've got impeller envy!

Diceman
Old 02-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #253
lower50's

5"!!!
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #254
II_Slow

Is that enough carb for that blower? Probably so if you don't wind it too high but something to check into.

Also make sure the crank snout it up to the task (dual keys). Those things put a lot of load on the crank, especially with just a belt vs. a gear drive.

But there ain't nothing like the sound of a procharged engine uncorked! Talk about LOUD. Should be a fun ride.

My buddy ran bright red 55 truck on the drag strip. BBC nitrous combination. Left wheels up, 5.70s or so 1/8th mile. Was always one of my favorites because it it just stood out in a sea of Camaros and Mustangs.
II_Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #255
Kim57

Very cool. Should make tons of power.
Kim
Old 02-12-2016, 12:37 AM   #256
mud.man.rj

Beauty...
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #257
ptc

Thanks guys for checking it out.... this is a cool new area of performance I am delving into, so I am truly excited about seeing what this thing can do.

Again- This whole thing came off a '69 Camaro with a 540" BBC and was operational as equipped. It dynoed (car dyno) out at just under 1000hp at the rear wheels using its smallest pulley at max boost they could get about 30 psi. So thats right around 1300-1400 on the engine (considering a 40% drop to the wheels.) He took the whole thing off to tame it down for his wife to drive as a daily driver.... a 540" daily driver????

Im putting this on a 509" basically stock forged rotating assembly with upgraded ARP2000 everything holding it all together. It will be running alum Brodix BB2 320cc heads with a custom hyd roller cam for a range of about 2000-6200 rpm. High psi oil and fuel pumps, MSD ignition the works....

Expectations are an engine dyno (at max boost) of possibly 1200hp and that would be about 720-750hp at the wheels..... with the std pulley on it at only 10psi it should make about 900hp on the engine dyno. These are expectations only. We will find out soon enough.

The rotating assembly is the only weak point above 1000 hp so if I boost it all the way its only going to be for SOME fun runs at the track maybe once or twice to see what it can do.....
Old 02-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #258
nebdrummer

Awesome setup. I'm excited to see numbers. If you have troubles with the carb after it gets together, call kevin at CSU carbs. The guy is the best with blowthru carbs. He did mine, and here in a few month or so I should be hitting the rollers hoping for 1000 to the tire as well with my 50. Good luck with it!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=380212
nebdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:32 AM   #259
RockinKees

That looks like a nice little turbo to me

Looking forward to see it in the enginebay and what numbers you get out of it on the dyno!!

1959 Chevy Fleetside Longbed
My build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643426
Kool Guyz CC
Instagram: _King_Kustom_
RockinKees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #260
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinKees View Post
That looks like a nice little turbo to me

Looking forward to see it in the enginebay and what numbers you get out of it on the dyno!!
Not a turbo.... its a 'super-charger'.... I like the sound of that! ---

Well I got this THING all mocked up onto the dummy block so I could fit it into the engine bay with the radiator and then get an idea of where the new motor mounts were going to be welded into place. And then how much to cut out of the firewall. Had to re-string a line to get all my measurements, angles and level all over again, so that its all in correct from front bearing housing all the way to the rear yoke.

So the pics are: #1 of the SC mounted on the front of the BBC, #2 is the modified LS motor mounts with the Prothane bushings that go onto the block, #3 shows the block from underneath with the modified mounts that will weld directly onto the K frame. #4 shows the mount and brackets close-up. Everything is welded into place now and ready to go.

The firewall is cut out.... guess the wifes wheelbarrow is going to be put to use!!! --- and I already got permission!
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #261
Kim57

Looks like it's going to fit just fine.
Kim
Old 02-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #262
BC Toy chest

Very impressive, love it. When I finish .... lol if I live long enough to finish my '56 GMC I am going to put a blown (roots) 8-71 496 a BB Chevy and turbo 400 combo in my '67 El Camino. Seeing all that you are doing has given me another shot in the arm. Thanks, plzzz keep the photos and info coming. At the risk of up setting other people on here, you are one of the most enthusiastic members here. You are all over the place you got the bug bad, u seem to visit every project there is lol. I can tell you are really excited about your project, keep on keepin' on bro. Can't wait to see your motor go together, don't leave nothing out. Maybe we can exchange ideas.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432758
BC Toy chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #263
RockinKees

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
Not a turbo.... its a 'super-charger'.... I like the sound of that! ---
Sorry, my bad!!!
I know the difference between a turbo and a supercharger....
I'll pay better attention in the future

Kool Guyz CC
Old 02-16-2016, 12:22 PM   #264
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinKees View Post
Sorry, my bad!!!
I know the difference between a turbo and a supercharger....
I'll pay better attention in the future
Yea I figured that much Buddy!!! - There will be a test at the end!!!
Old 02-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #265
RockinKees

Quote:
Yea I figured that much Buddy!!! - There will be a test at the end!!!
Ha!
I'm ready for it!!

Kool Guyz CC
Old 02-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #266
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Toy chest View Post
Very impressive, love it. When I finish .... lol if I live long enough to finish my '56 GMC I am going to put a blown (roots) 8-71 496 a BB Chevy and turbo 400 combo in my '67 El Camino. Seeing all that you are doing has given me another shot in the arm. Thanks, plzzz keep the photos and info coming. At the risk of up setting other people on here, you are one of the most enthusiastic members here. You are all over the place you got the bug bad, u seem to visit every project there is lol. I can tell you are really excited about your project, keep on keepin' on bro. Can't wait to see your motor go together, don't leave nothing out. Maybe we can exchange ideas.
Thanks BC for the 'honorable mention'.... (so to speak), I am exicted!!! I love building anything that makes noise, if not for anything else just to piss off the neighbors for fun!!!! (lol) except now that I live out in the country only the cows look around when something STARTS UP OUT HERE....

I like to look at other peoples projects (and comment), it not only gives me ideas, but it also gives me inspiration to get my project done and do it well. I see so many talented people's work on here and I pray to God to give me the patience to do whatever I take upon myself to do with care and a passion to do it to the best of the ability that HE gave me to do. We all have the ability to do anything we want to do if we want to 'learn', its up to us to make it all happen.... or not.... for whatever reason.

Deadlines are good to give yourself a bit of a challenge, but it doesnt mean the end of the world if they come and go. Just reset them and keep on going. Just like anything in life... if you believe in making it happen it will, because you cant have accomplishments without 'dreams'....

Enjoy!
Old 02-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #267
ptc

So my next dilemma has been this whole roll bar thing. I am trying to work with NHRA to establish the requirements of putting the roll bar in to meet their rules and regs and be able to go to their sanctioned events (required at most tracks for insurance) and have some fun and stay legal. Ive tried calling them and talking with them about what I have designed, but they just give me the brush off. I guess they are not interested in new membership or facilitating the sport further because they are the WORST at public relations!

So I have decided - screw it! I will build it to my specs with their RULE INTENT in mind and if they dont let me race then oh well. If somebody wants to cut it up later on and add the necessary items they can. I want my cab to be removable with a roll cage inside of it, thats the way Im gonna build it.

Basically (I have been told) if you run faster than 11.99 you need a roll bar and other certain safety equipment meeting all SFI cert standards etc, which seems ludicrous today with Corvette Z06 showroom cars doing 10's in the 1/4 mile with nothing more than a 3 point safety belt holding you into a fiberglass coffin. Oh they require a helmet!.....

Moving on....
Old 02-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #268
Valarius_Starchaser

Quote:
So my next dilemma has been this whole roll bar thing. I am trying to work with NHRA to establish the requirements of putting the roll bar in to meet their rules and regs and be able to go to their sanctioned events (required at most tracks for insurance) and have some fun and stay legal. Ive tried calling them and talking with them about what I have designed, but they just give me the brush off. I guess they are not interested in new membership or facilitating the sport further because they are the WORST at public relations!

So I have decided - screw it! I will build it to my specs with their RULE INTENT in mind and if they dont let me race then oh well. If somebody wants to cut it up later on and add the necessary items they can. I want my cab to be removable with a roll cage inside of it, thats the way Im gonna build it.

Basically (I have been told) if you run faster than 11.99 you need a roll bar and other certain safety equipment meeting all SFI cert standards etc, which seems ludicrous today with Corvette Z06 showroom cars doing 10's in the 1/4 mile with nothing more than a 3 point safety belt holding you into a fiberglass coffin. Oh they require a helmet!.....

Moving on....
Amen brother I have mad the same call and have gotten the same answer and further yet have come to the same decision
Old 02-16-2016, 08:18 PM   #269
BC Toy chest

Quote:

Moving on....
Hey PTC I agree with you 100% I have seen some nasty accidents with Vettes going too fast on the street imagine the carnage on the track with a brand new ZO6. Convertibles and Fiberglass cars scare me. I know what you mean about NHRA not very friendly folks when you got questions. The rule books alone are not enough you have to speak to some one. I needed to know the same thing about the roll cage. So I found out on a Chevelle / El Camino forum what I am going to need to do just for starters on my '67 Camino. I am going with a 10 point roll cage. With unibody cars like Novas, Camaros faster then 11.99 you can get away with welding the cage to the floor but with cars like our trucks, El Caminos, Chevelles and other full frame cars the cage has to go thru the floor to the frame. The other issue is the bracing behind the hoop for some people that have street/strip Caminos and pick-up trucks they don't want the support brace to come out from the back window. So depending on how much room you have and if it is a small window truck the two rear support braces have to come out the back window area immediately under the back window or thru the window, due to the bracing can't be mounted more then 10 or 12 inches from the top of the hoop. There is a race truck section on here and also go on http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/ . Go to these guys and see if they can help. Also some of the racers are former NHRA & IHRA tech guys. I hope this was a help.

And Like you I have another dilemma. I am cripple from a car wreck many years ago and I have to have a side brace bar that swings out with the door or getting out of in the car will be difficult and painfull. In fact my El Camino has more leg room then my '56 GMC which I owned three years before my accident.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #270
tiddlar

nice charger man... im getting more excited
Old 02-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #271
ptc

Well I sold all the glass out of the truck the other day, so the cab is officially totally stripped of everything at this point.

1 more step towards the finish line.... hopefully not too many steps back!
Old 03-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #272
BC Toy chest

Hey PTC, I am done with my electric fan and shroud project and now moving on to my one piece door glass. Check this out if you haven't seen it yet. Lots of helpful stuff on what to do and what to watch out for when doing one piece glass. I am staying with manual window operation but I am sure it also applies to power windows to with some slight mods. Here's the link http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=366078&page=3

Old 03-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #273
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Toy chest View Post
Hey PTC, I am done with my electric fan and shroud project and now moving on to my one piece door glass. Check this out if you haven't seen it yet. Lots of helpful stuff on what to do and what to watch out for when doing one piece glass. I am staying with manual window operation but I am sure it also applies to power windows to with some slight mods. Here's the link http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=366078&page=3
Thanks BC, yea I ran across those videos on UTUBE when I was researching the whole 1-piece glass deal a while ago. I am still trying to talk with Nu-relics to see what their truck kit includes. It is suppose to be the best on the market and have everything needed unlike the Brothers (and others) kits that leave alot of stuff to be custom made. Ive already got my glass and the guy said his cuts are made to the Nu-Relic templates.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #274
ptc

Worked on the truck a little this weekend. so many things going on with it, could use a crew of about 10 guys!!!!

1. The front end came off and got the mockup engine all removed and returned to its owner. Put all the front end back on again so that I can start getting my hood designed and shaped.

2. I was going to use a 55-56 hood, and cut out the 58-59 top and put it together. Well that plan is out the door because for some reason the 55-56 hood doesnt fit length wise from the cowl to the front of the latch plate on my '57.... Weird I know, I thought these 55-56 hoods fit just like a '57 would???? So then I figured I would just use the 58-59 hood directly onto my '57 and the length does work out ok, but it will need to be widened on each side to fit to the fenders. Seems that may be the easier way to do it.

BUT----- then I found out that the hood hinges and the width of them are different between a 55-57 and the 58-59.... Jeeze why????? Why do they do stuff like this if the cab is exactly the same???? so frustrating!!!! So now I have a newly powdercoated set of 55-57 hinges that are not going to be needed either....

So a total waste of time this weekend on the hood project except for finding out what CANT BE DONE.... oh well back to the drawing board again.

3. I also got a new wheelbarrow to finish my firewall with and started sizing all that together. I decided to copy the original stamping of the firewall along the edge of the cutout so I made the parts for that on either side using some 18ga sheetmetal and my stretcher tool and the ole hammer and dolly.... worked out pretty good! now I just have to make the cut and weld it all into place.

4. I also finally got my rear roll bar hoop bent into perfect shape to fit the contour of the rear body, its going to fit nice and tight up against the rear metal. I fitted it to the floor and made the floor plates, drilled them for bolting thru the cab to the frame below and then welded in the top plates. So the rear mounts are done. Next will be fitting the side over-the-door bars and locating the front plates.

So got alot more done on the cab. Im hoping to get everything fitted this week and have it out to blast by next week. I have to paint behind where the roll bar will be going in because its so tight that I wont be able to get paint behind it afterwards. So more to come on that.

Sorry pictures will come later..... promise!
Old 03-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #275
Valarius_Starchaser

holy smokes lots of progress it sounds like cant wait to see some pics keep up the momentum!