The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
jorgensensc

Quick question on engine price?

Ok. going to pull the trigger on a 5.3 swap. need your opinion on pricing. Found one from a local guy. He bought it to replace his 4.8 in his truck. Drove it for about 20k miles then wrecked the truck. So now he is selling it. He is asking 1000.00 for the engine and another 800.00 for the tranny. I'm thinking 1600.00 for both. Here are the specs:

2003 truck 5.3 with either 75k or 95 k miles (he has to look at his paperwork to see how many miles it had on it when he had it installed) Return feul system works for me since I have a '72 with the return lines already in place. Also cable throttle body will make installation easier for me, I think

4l60e tranny was rebuilt an heavily upgraded (according to owner) about 20k miles ago. He has reciept for the work totaling 1950.00.

Has all the of the wiring harness uncut, fuse box, air box, driveshaft and anything else I may need off the truck, provided I pull the trigger before the rest of the truck goes away this weekend.

No accessories or brackets. Just crank pully and clutch fan.

What do you guys think? Fair Price or not?

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
mopar250

Re: Quick question on engine price?

I would think the engine with no accessories or brackets would be in the 600 to 700 range. If the trans is what he says it is that may not be to bad of a deal. If it were me I would like to be in 1300 to 1400 range for the package and try to get the accessories and starter also. Then again, if its local to you, easy to get, and you believe all the info to be true it may be worth more to you. May beat spending days running all around to different yards looking to scab stuff together.
mopar250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
jorgensensc

Thanks for the quick reply. He said I can have all of the other stuff too (fuse box, driveshaft, starter, air box, etc). He just doesn't have the front accessories or rackets for the AC, alternator, or power steering. The AC bracket doesn't bother me too much as I have vintage air and need to run a Sandra compressor anyway (wont work correctly with the newer style AC compressor). But I'm concerned about the cost of the alternator, power steering pump, and coreresponding brackets. I was thinking about going with the dirty dingo setup for the whole front, but still need to buy the alternator and power steering pump, which could add about 500-600 for the dingo brackets and alternator and power steering pump, right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

usually the brackets are quite reasonable, I would go to NAPA ad buy the pump, alt and starter with a warranty.

I agree with ^^^ the motor is only worth about 600. the trans, maybe 800. he is selling for a reason. come with cash and tell him, you cant see or hear it run, you dont know if the trans was rebuilt wrong or what, so here is your offer.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Jon01

As someone who's tried to piece one of these swaps together it is well worth the $ to buy a complete dropout. You will save countless hours chasing small parts.

You can find them cheaper than that, but they don't last long. I've sold 2 in the last month. First was a complete 5.3 with 80k. It sold in 2 days for $1300.
Second was another 5.3, again complete but with 110k. It sold in 4 days for $1700 with a recently freshened 4L60E.

An engine with unknown miles and a FULL(uncut!) harness and no accy's is a 6-700 item. With accy's adds 3-400 IMO.

Is the trans a 2wd or 4wd unit?
71 SWB C10 - LQ4+S476r
06 Duramax - LBZ - Exhaust, EFI Live, etc...
Jon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
mopar250

I agree with Jon01. I am currently piecing a 5.3 swap right now and am wishing I would have just gotten a complete drop out. I paid 700 for my 04 with around 80k on it and no accessories. A quick look on ebay will kind of give you an idea at least on what your going to have to pay for stuff. Power steering pump and bracket will run around 80 shipped, starter around the same, and alternator will be around the same also. As I type that I realize that it seams a bit cheaper, but convenience is also a factor in there also. As also said, new stuff from NAPA would be great too, but paying core charges on stuff would add up quick.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
jorgensensc

Thanks guys for the quick responses. It is a 2wd tranny, which is what I need. For me the brackets aren't that big of a deal......I think. I will have to get the A.C bracket for the sanden compressor regardless, so its really about the power steering bracket, alternator bracket, power steering pump, and alternator. I will readily admit that I like my engines somewhat symmetrical, and I think the aftermarket ac bracket with the stock alternator bracket looks funny. So I wouldn't mind the aftermarket brackets. Is the power steering pump bracket and the alternator bracket one piece? or are they separate? Has anyone tried the Dirty Dingo Brackets? After buying the Dingo Brackets and the alternator and power steering pump I'm probably looking at about an additional 600.00 over the cost of the engine. Not to mention the sanden compressor that I have to change because mine is v belt and I need a serpentine set up. Thanks again guys!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:12 AM   #8
mopar250

Yes, the power steering pump/alternator bracket is one piece. Havn't laid my eyes on a dirty dingo setup in person but I have seen a complete holley set of brackets and they looked great. I agree with the brackets needing to look the same. I'm not a huge fan of the way the dingo brackets look myself, just a personal taste thing. Check out the holley ones and see if you like them? They actually look to be a little cheaper than the dingo brackets also.