The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2020, 08:06 PM   #1
The Ohioian

Lunch box

I have been smelling antifreeze for about a month now and finally got some confirmation also we have got the first real rain this summer. That green on the floor is from the heater core but the line of water has got to be coming from the windshield kind of sucks will have to hold off on carpet till the seals are replaced!
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

The Ohioian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:43 PM   #2
The Ohioian

I chose a brass copper from summit came after a few days cost me around 70.00. It’s made in Mexico and has nice soldering feels good in hand...

We’ll see!
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #3
The Ohioian

Re: Lunch box

A hurricane with some good rain went through The area and more water in the cab for a while I thought it was coming in at the antenna it looked like broken glass It’s not broken. Some is bad door seals, some is broken wing window, but the dash leak is crazy.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2020, 08:02 PM   #4
The Ohioian

it seems that the nice heater core from summit is not the right one it is about two inches short and its got the lines inal the wrong places. the fire wall seems to have rusted thru and the water also comes in there. a few of the fire walls I've seen have this offset. now to see if its better to modify the heater box and fix the fire wall to accept the offset or return and take the chance that I don't like the exchanged heater core (that is if they take it back)
Old 11-08-2020, 08:08 PM   #5
The Ohioian

There it is
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2020, 09:48 PM   #6
The Ohioian

I kept the heater core after searching for a reasonable amount of time for a replacement don't have the same dimensions and or I don't like how they are made. so I filled the old holes and I will drill new ones after we figure where it will be. I have found the leak and I think it might be above my pay grade?
Old 11-10-2020, 09:59 PM   #7
The Ohioian

Right! Photos!
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2020, 05:49 PM   #8
The Ohioian

This is my first attempt to weld sheet metal I think I’ll get better but my wife came out and said what are we looking at! That’s great right. Got to love her she’s into jewelry, not trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #9
The Ohioian

how do I fix the cracks in the firewall above the blower motor they go all the way through, we can see the other side above my welding ground. Are there two or three levels of sheet metal.... I just can't believe my luck how is that my rain leak.. part of me says cut it out and the lazy says just lay some metal down that. that crack has to much rust behind it and will blow up from what I've learned so far.. maybe some epoxy.

I also haven't installed the heater core upside down and to the left how will it burp air trapped in the top. the pump is fast and turbulent but there is a reason the outlet is on the top.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #10
The Ohioian

Well folks there are three layers of sheet metal meeting at the pinch weld above the blower fan. Maybe that is a common place to rust it is odd because this cab spent everyday of its life garaged since 1991.

I got a heater core from O’ uto parts It’s not the right size Or the right color picking it up in the morning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #11
The Ohioian

Made in China.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2020, 08:47 PM   #12
The Ohioian

Working on fire wall sheet metal and under the cowel is a hard lesson. I’m glad we have the tools to even try! Someday in the future all this will have to be redone. Things I learned are any rust will blow out and hotter is not always better and that seam under the cowel is rusty.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2020, 11:09 PM   #13
The Ohioian

Living in Ohio one has to have defrost and heat after putting everything back together. I packed a lunch and took the box to work for a couple stops. starts right up and loaded tools while the choke pulls off after the idle calms down I turned it off. Grabbed some water and closed the gate and off we go. lovin every minute of the drive shifts smoothly and after a couple mile I decide to try the heat/defrost switching between the two feeling it above the dash and below. I was thinking how well I liked the new fresh smell almost new car.

I get to a stop light and the idle is not calming down, I am running the vacuum advance distributer off the carb manifold port (yes it keeps the idle high for a couple sec) generally I push the gas like the machincal choke and it comes down to a nice idle.

today it just kept climbing it got so bad I between stops that I turned down the idle at the linkage and then turned down the mix. I limped it home surging all the way. I have trouble tuning and generally leave it alone when I think its close.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:14 PM   #14
The Ohioian

I broke down today and tore off the carb really blaming fuel contamination and gaskets. Chris’s boy Replaced all gaskets, cleaned, while I checked fuel pump for under six pounds and put it back on. the carb sat for some time before IT got used Also I had a leak I could see at the manifold gasket. Reving high as it got hotter and stumbling at idle. Wow it’s a different truck I think he swapped a rod but whatever it’s nice and I’m happy
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2020, 09:46 AM   #15
The Ohioian

Since thanksgiving and Christmas is going to be just us my wife and I want a New bathroom. 40 years I lived with the old one, to the box To the dump working like a truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2021, 10:45 PM   #16
The Ohioian

Posted via Mobile DeviceI got some noisemakers coming from my chassis when I turn and enter driveway lots of chatter on back roads with wash boards I got lmc body mounts. That’s what I’m blaming!
Old 01-26-2021, 10:51 PM   #17
The Ohioian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ohioian View Post
Posted via Mobile DeviceI got some noisemakers coming from my chassis when I turn and enter driveway lots of chatter on back roads with wash boards I got lmc body mounts. That’s what I’m blaming!
The first truck my dad bought new!
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2021, 07:38 PM   #18
The Ohioian

Took my brother in law for a ride today! Pushed the peddle harder than I ever have, she’s is still a little rich 763 miles and counting feeling better about taking it on a trip. I found the bed bolts loose that’s where the bangs were coming from.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2021, 07:53 AM   #19
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Love the look of your truck. Can't beat a square stepside!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 03-20-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:44 PM   #20
The Ohioian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Love the look of your truck. Can't be a square stepside!
Thanks, sure is a step side. I have the rest of the story getting lost in the Q/A section; The lunch box.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:16 AM   #21
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Just caught my stupid auto correct. Can't beat a stepside. Love the truck

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:54 AM   #22
Low Elco

Looks good, nice welding!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:01 AM   #23
The Ohioian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Looks good, nice welding!
Thanks its coming along nicely. I've only welded on the truck and my camper. I learn something everyday I pick up the trigger.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:55 PM   #24
69Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ohioian View Post
it seems that the nice heater core from summit is not the right one it is about two inches short and its got the lines inal the wrong places. the fire wall seems to have rusted thru and the water also comes in there. a few of the fire walls I've seen have this offset. now to see if its better to modify the heater box and fix the fire wall to accept the offset or return and take the chance that I don't like the exchanged heater core (that is if they take it back)
That original heater core you purchased was for a truck with A/C. Not sure if yours has A/C, but doesn't appear it does.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:15 PM   #25
The Ohioian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
That original heater core you purchased was for a truck with A/C. Not sure if yours has A/C, but doesn't appear it does.
Yep found that out the hard way. no A/C. I even welded up the holes. Glad its the practice truck and just a heater core. You should have seen what I did when it was the tranny.