The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
Ser67

New starter just clicks!

Please help. Just installed new starter, battery, and alternator. Terminals clean wires to proper places. Starter just clicks loudly like it has a bad selonoid. Even hooked new battery to booster cables and same thing. Took starter back to Oreiley's and it tested good on their computer tester working 4 times in a row, so starter should be good. What could cause this issue on my truck?
Ser67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
Ser67

Re: New starter just clicks!

[QUOTE=Ser67;8179536]Please help. Just installed new starter, battery, and alternator. Terminals clean wires to proper places. Starter just clicks loudly like it has a bad selonoid. Even hooked new battery to booster cables and same thing. Took starter back to Oreiley's and it tested good on their computer tester working 4 times in a row, so starter should be good. What could cause this issue on my truck? It's a 1971 GMC 2500 with a 350.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
Foot Stomper

Did you replace the solenoid?
Did you bench test the starter with the solenoid?

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
Ser67

Yes sir, brand new starter/selonoid and alternator from Oreiley's. Brand new Battery. Just had starter tested last night at Oreiley's thinking it must be bad and it tested good 4 times in a row. I am having an issue with the lights and know I need to replace the on/off dash dimmer switch, but this was present when truck was starting no problems previously before old starter went bad. Going to direct jump starter from battery next I guess, if it turns then I'll know it's an issue somewhere in wiring from ignition. At least that's what I've come up with from research this morning. Thanks so much for the reply! Any and all suggestions ideas to running down the problem will be much appreciated.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

The only thing left is the positive battery cable. Do a voltage drop test from the battery positive post to the solenoid where the cable connects. You should not have any drop.
Just to be sure check the negative cable connections at the battery and the engine block.

You could be getting a good enough ground to activate the solenoid, but the starter needs more amperage. Turn on the headlights while you hit the starter and watch for them to go dim. Is your battery fully charged and reading 12.4 volts?

I assume you have ruled out a binding starter caused by no spacers or the engine frozen and not turning over by hand?

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 02-06-2018 at 12:59 PM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #6
Wrenchbender Ret

Connect a jumper wire from the small term. on the starter with the purple wire hooked to it to the bat cable. If it kicks in then you have resistance in the starter circuit like the ign. switch or Neutral/safety switch.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
twcoley

Do a voltage test across your battery to starter wire, also verify that you have a good ground to the block and starter may clean block surface where starter bolts up. The starter grounds through its case to engine block so make sure no painted surfaces maybe even try a ground wire to the battery to starter case for giggles to see if your loosing ground.
twcoley is offline   Reply With Quote