The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
Mr3Speed

Wink Sanden 508 Wiring

Hey wondering if anyone could help me out got a new sanden 508 for an original ac truck and need to wire it. A black and a dark green wire go into the og compressor. The sanden only has one black wire. I’m assuming that because the dark green is switched 12v from the poa valve/pressure switch that, that dark green wire should go directly to the black wire on the sanden? Is that the case? Have any of y’all done it? Is there another way I should be wiring it? Anything helps thanks!
Mr3Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:21 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Sanden 508 Wiring

Dark green is hot and the black is a ground with a diode if I remember correctly.

So yes you would tie the DG into the new compressor for 12 volts. I'm not going to say use the black without you furnishing a picture of it though to confirm.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:58 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Sanden 508 Wiring

Look at the 1 minute mark and the clutch only has the single black wire. He says the coil is grounded so the black wire has to be the hot wire for the green to connect to. If you have a voltmeter measure the ohms between the black wire and the coil. If you get some resistance then you are reading the coil windings resistance and the black wire is the hot wire and the coil is grounded to the compressor body.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...46&action=view

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
Mr3Speed

Thank you I think we are in the same page and I’ll do some testing this afternoon. But it would be awesome if you link directly to a YouTube video I’m fairly sure my yahoo isn’t pulling up the same video. Another question closely related would y’all know what this little connecting wire with a black ball(see picture attached) on it is because if dark green is power and black is ground they shouldn’t be connected right?
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2020, 08:47 PM   #5
RustyPile

That's the diode Andy spoke of.. It "clamps" the voltage spikes created when the magnetic field collapses as current is removed from the coil windings..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
Mr3Speed

So that black diode shouldn’t be necessary for the sanden?
Old 09-16-2020, 07:47 PM   #7
SilverMiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Look at the 1 minute mark and the clutch only has the single black wire. He says the coil is grounded so the black wire has to be the hot wire for the green to connect to. If you have a voltmeter measure the ohms between the black wire and the coil. If you get some resistance then you are reading the coil windings resistance and the black wire is the hot wire and the coil is grounded to the compressor body.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...46&action=view
This information would be very useful to me as well. VetteVet, could you please give a direct link to YouTube? The multitude of videos the Yahoo link throws up all seem generally useful, but a direct link to the video you mention specifically is close to exactly what I'm also looking for.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:24 PM   #8
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3Speed View Post
Thank you I think we are in the same page and I’ll do some testing this afternoon. But it would be awesome if you link directly to a YouTube video I’m fairly sure my yahoo isn’t pulling up the same video. Another question closely related would y’all know what this little connecting wire with a black ball(see picture attached) on it is because if dark green is power and black is ground they shouldn’t be connected right?
See if this works.

https://youtu.be/w3aqgpKz5nI

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote