The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
Yurchaka1

Coilover Kit/Suspension Upgrades

Looking for advice on suspension upgrade for my '65 C10.

Purpose: Seeking a smoother ride just cruising around town. Not doing any racing or intense driving. Don't want to significantly lower the truck from stock height.

Current Set-up: Power (drum)brakes/power steering, front sway bar, 230 6 with 3 on the tree.

It was recommended that I should do a rear coilover upgrade so wondering if anyone had experience and thought it was worth it. CCP rear coil over kit is $699. The kit with lower trailing arms is $1,299.

1) Would coilovers make a dramatically different ride driving around town?
2) Are rear coilovers enough or would I need to buy the $799 front coil-over kit?
3) Do I need the lower trailing arms to feel significant improvement?
4) Is there a more cost effective solution to what I'm trying to do?

Appreciate any advice and input.

-Alex
Attached Images

Yurchaka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:22 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Coilover Kit/Suspension Upgrades

Personally I dont think coil overs is what you want reading your post. Better shocks maybe yes.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:14 PM   #3
SkinnyG

^^^ +1.

Coilovers allow you to fine-tune the exact ride-height or corner-weight you need. Absolutely 100% unnecessary on a street vehicle.

Good shocks, however, are worth their weight in gold.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:32 PM   #4
Yurchaka1

Thank you for both your responses.

I guess it makes sense to first replace bushings and shocks. As far as I know, they're 55 years old.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:56 PM   #5
PGSigns

Rebuild the suspension to get rid of any worn parts. I run Beltech street performance shocks and they really have a good ride. Your tires can make a difference in the ride Lower the tire pressure a couple of pounds in the back and see what it does. These trucks really dont have a lot of rear weight and running the tires at max pressure really is not needed. When I redid my seat I went from the lumpy cotton to some good quality foam and that improved it. It all works together.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:35 PM   #6
AcampoDave

Besides shocks and trailing arm bushings, if your cab bushings are all shot out, a new set of rubber ones will help a little too. Do you have a spare tire back there hanging in the cradle? It's not much weight but it is placed right where it provides the most benefit.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #7
SCOTI

I agree w/the recommendations above about C/O's not being an upgrade 'ride quality' wise vs the factory coil spring set up on these trucks. Better shocks are a great investment.

Nobody mentioned this but relocating them is a good idea as well so they function better doing their job. No Limit Engineering has a nice relocation bracket set-up....
http://www.nolimit.net/products#!/Dr...tegory=6157547
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:56 PM   #8
Yurchaka1

Thanks again for all the input. I'm going to go ahead and invest in some good shocks, bushings, and I should have a spare tire underneath anyway so I'll have that added weight.

I don't have a good idea of what these trucks are supposed to ride like normally (I'm 30 yrs old) but it sounds like for my purposes just getting back to good factory parts will do. It doesn't ride terribly as is but I bet everything mentioned here will make a big enough difference that I won't want to make any non-factory upgrade.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:07 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurchaka1 View Post
Thanks again for all the input. I'm going to go ahead and invest in some good shocks, bushings, and I should have a spare tire underneath anyway so I'll have that added weight.

I don't have a good idea of what these trucks are supposed to ride like normally (I'm 30 yrs old) but it sounds like for my purposes just getting back to good factory parts will do. It doesn't ride terribly as is but I bet everything mentioned here will make a big enough difference that I won't want to make any non-factory upgrade.
Depending on how original or modified it is can alter the ride characteristics.

Having a front sway bar is definitely a good thing. Disc brakes up front would be an upgrade I would consider sooner vs later if making changes. Drop spindles + disc brakes yields better braking & a lower center of gravity w/o compromising suspension travel. Standard disc brake spindles would offer the better braking & no drop.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:08 PM   #10
AcampoDave

Couldn't tell from the pic, but I've seen many a stepside without a rear bumper,. If you're lacking one, there's a few more pounds to add right where you need 'em.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:16 PM   #11
txinliner

im a cheap bastard so if you want stance and ride quality go with belltech or other vendors for spindles and springs. for the rear go springs and blocks for desired height,, have fun
65c10 43,000 original miles ,230 stovebolt,powerglide,3" drop spidles 3" drop springs w/ half coil cut and 5 drop springs in back with 1 1/2 blocks... c notch soon to add hei offy 4 v intake and holley 390
txinliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:22 PM   #12
Yurchaka1

Again, thank you for all the input. I do have a rear bumper but I don't have a spare tire underneath the bed so I plan on doing that too. I bought all new bushings but haven't put them on yet.

I wanted to update because when I was replacing all 4 shocks I realized the main cause of the rear end shifting left/right when driving over manholes/potholes. The arm or bracket that the bottom of the rear shocks bolts into shifted dramatically. I tightened the bolts up after getting the new shocks installed and between stabilizing those and the new shocks, the drive is much smoother. I couldn't find what the part is called in my LMC or ClassicParts mags so someone can jump in if they know the nomenclature.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:44 PM   #13
cwcarpenter98

Sounds like your entire axle was loose. The lower shock mount is attached to the bottom of the trailing arm using the same U bolt. GM says to torque those U bolts to 230 ft lbs

My axle was loose and made a clunking noise every time the truck shifted weight. It was so loose that I could see a decent gap between the axle and trailing arm

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote