The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2021, 03:20 PM   #601
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Geez!......

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:51 AM   #602
jaros44sr

Vic they’re pretty easy to change if you have the right pin tool
I ran into that with my TPI
Let me know and I’ll send you a tool or talk you thru it
Put the tool into the notch and the pin will pop out after you remove the white lock on the connecter

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:53 AM   #603
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Vic they’re pretty easy to change if you have the right pin tool
I ran into that with my TPI
Let me know and I’ll send you a tool or talk you thru it
Put the tool into the notch and the pin will pop out after you remove the white lock on the connecter
Thanks, Jim. I have a set of pin tools (some flat, some round) I've used to disassemble weather pack connectors, etc. It hadn't occurred to me to do that with the connector I have ordered, but that would be preferable to splicing the wires.

I've been busy mocking up the dual quad setup and rearranging wiring. Seems like every time I turn around there's something I need to tweak. The choke mounted TPS is meant for a Holley carb and while the FST carb electric choke looks exactly like a Holley, it's not. Same goes for the progressive linkage - meant for Edelbrock carbs so the rods are a bit too short for my setup. Kathy will pick up the stainless rod I need today so I can make new pieces. But it's coming together.

I'd ordered a MSD Atomic trans controller only to find the TCM and harness were both on backorder until sometime in July. Cancelled both orders and got a Painless Perfect Torc setup. It arrived yesterday and so far, I'm impressed. As you'd expect, the wiring is top notch and the controller features are awesome. I don't know for sure yet, but it may actually work with the Lokar Electronic Sport Mode shifter I have to allow manual upshifts and downshifts. I emailed them to be sure their paddle shifter feature would work with a 4L60E type transmission. I know it would with the fully electronic 4L80E but I've read the 4L60E requires some sort of modification.

Will post some photos when I have a bit more progress to report.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:34 AM   #604
jaros44sr

Glad it’s starting to work out I tried to get my computers working for two years before I gave up and put it in a shop that knew what they were doing

Got a pic of the dual quads I love fancy induction stuff

Been following your builds since CRLS I never posted up before but I do follow your great builds and great write ups

Wish you luck as you progress thru your problems

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 06-16-2021, 05:29 PM   #605
Vic1947

Quote:
Glad it’s starting to work out I tried to get my computers working for two years before I gave up and put it in a shop that knew what they were doing

Got a pic of the dual quads I love fancy induction stuff

Been following your builds since CRLS I never posted up before but I do follow your great builds and great write ups

Wish you luck as you progress thru your problems
Thanks, Jim! Here's a preview of the dual quad setup. On the linkage side, I had to make the longer rod because the FST carbs on the Holley intake have a different spacing between the throttle levers than the Edelbrock setup. On the choke side, I had to relocate one of the legs for the TPS bracket due to the difference between the FST choke bolt pattern and a Holley. The rear view shows the Camozzi fitting that the 1/4" plastic line goes into. It feeds manifold pressure/vacuum to the MSD ignition box so it can retard/advance the timing under operating conditions. I'm not sure why MSD chose to use a mechanical source for MAP. Seems like a sender that screws into the manifold somewhere and has a few wires would be better, but what the heck do I know?
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2021, 08:33 PM   #606
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Hope those duals work for you Vic,,,I know many a people running duals, and it seems common for them to describe that duals are a tuning nightmare at times

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:43 PM   #607
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Hope those duals work for you Vic,,,I know many a people running duals, and it seems common for them to describe that duals are a tuning nightmare at times
I agree that multi carb setups can be tricky, Greg. One of the guys at Hot Rod Express is a guru on dual carbs. A guy I spoke with said his duals have been working great for many years after getting dialed in by them. I reckon it can't be any worse than the EFI.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:58 AM   #608
jaros44sr

Those look sweet personally I would have to mount them with Allen drive ss studs and nuts to stop the rust factor JMHO

Good luck hope to hear engine noises soon

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 06-17-2021, 11:49 PM   #609
Vic1947

Quote:
Those look sweet personally I would have to mount them with Allen drive ss studs and nuts to stop the rust factor JMHO

Good luck hope to hear engine noises soon
Me too! SS studs on the way from McMaster-Carr along with some other hardware.

BTW, the Painless Perfect Torc trans controller I bought for the trans supports a paddle shift function. As it turns out, my Lokar shifter has bump switches built in. I'd planned on not connecting them because I thought only 4L80E and later trannys had that capability. Apparently, I was wrong. Talked to both Performance Automatics and a tech at Painless and they said there was no reason the 4L60E wouldn't be suited for it. Will give it a try and see if it works.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:58 AM   #610
jaros44sr

They are my go to place for hardware next day delivery

Love my paddle shifters in my camaro my favorite quote is my wife saying “what was I thinking when I agreed to buying a car with 425 HP “

Whats the plan for regulater and fuel lines

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 06-18-2021, 09:07 AM   #611
Vic1947

I had paddle shifters in a Dodge Charger I owned awhile back. Lots of fun but I never really mastered them. Probably won't use the feature on this car all that much (assuming it works) but will be an interesting science project.

I plan to use the existing pump, regulator and the lines except for the short ones going to the carbs. I did order a 0-15 psi gauge to replace the 0-100 unit for the EFI setup. The in-tank pump is an Aeromotive 340 lph that's overkill for the carbs. Hoping the regulator will be happy bypassing that much fuel.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:09 PM   #612
Russell Ashley

Can't you just remove the contacts out of the plugs and put them in the one that you need. Swapping pins would be easier and neater than splicing wires.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:34 PM   #613
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Can't you just remove the contacts out of the plugs and put them in the one that you need. Swapping pins would be easier and neater than splicing wires.
Thanks, Russell, Jim suggested that also and I plan to give it a try with my pin tools. Haven't had a chance to mess with it yet as I've been on the mill making a custom gauge pod for the AFR and trans pressure gauges. When faced with an "A" priority like getting the car running, I sometimes get diverted by non essential tasks.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:23 PM   #614
Vic1947

Still no engine noise. A change this drastic means having to redo almost everything. I've been pretty much tied to the lathe and mill. Made a new throttle cable bracket because I didn't like the one I modified to clear the progressive linkage. Also had to machine a fuel distribution block because no one makes what I needed. The throttle cable had to be shortened quite a bit and I'll have to build an adapter to go on the end of the aircraft cable.

Meanwhile, I was unable to remove the pins from the connectors as I'd planned. The slots for the pin tool were much smaller than the tools I have. So I soldered the wires and used shrink tubing for a nice tidy fix. With the split braided cover over the splices, you can't even tell it was done. Of course, the wires that go into the pigtail were reversed relative to the cam sensor plug. The brown/white wire is the signal wire and the middle wire is the ground, so the remaining one is for power. Layout is C B A instead of A B C. Or at least I hope so. The way my luck's been running, it will fry the sensor and the MSD box right before setting the car afire.

I did get a notice from FITech that the ECU, etc. are on their way back. Should be here on Tuesday. They reset everything to the factory defaults and tested the units, so they should be ready for some adventurous individual yet to be found. But it won't be me.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2021, 02:59 PM   #615
mongocanfly
Post Whore

("right before setting the car afire.")...ughhhh...please dont let that happen..!!!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
Old 06-22-2021, 10:00 AM   #616
Ol Blue K20

I'm still crossing my fingers Vic.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:06 PM   #617
Low Elco

I was wondering about you this morning. I hope all this works for you!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:06 PM   #618
Vic1947

Today hasn't been my day. The fuel regulator won't go low enough to use with the existing setup, so I removed it to prepare for a replacement. I'm not sure if the in-tank pump will work either, although I'm hoping it will. The issue seems to be the return line size. If it's too restrictive, the regulator may limited as to how low you can adjust the pressure. The carbs call for 6.5psi. The pump is internally limited to somewhere close to 100 psi so the regulator has to do all the work. Edelbrock has one that will handle high flow pumps but makes no mention of the max pressure value. If the regulator won't play nice with the rest of the system, I'll have to change the pump and perhaps the lines as well.

I spent about 15 minutes on hold with Aeromotive in Lenexa this morning before giving up and leaving my number for a call back. Haven't heard from them all day. I'd like to get their opinion, but a new regulator will be required no matter what.

The wiring is almost finished. I've got the stereo / NAV enclosure back in place and all the new wiring for the bump (paddle) shifter feature in place. Also added a rocker switch in the console to toggle between street and performance calibrations for the trans.

As I was moping around the shop right before supper, Kathy let me know the next door neighbor was preparing to build a fence between our houses that would come right up to the end of our back driveway. I negotiated an extra 1.5 feet of room by offering to pay more than my share of that section. (In KCMO you have to pay half even if you don't want the fence.) Not what I needed right now.
Old 07-04-2021, 06:50 PM   #619
Vic1947

Happy 4th of July, everyone! Fireworks started a few days ago around here and should build to a rousing finale tonight. We love sitting out on the deck and watching the neighbor's pyrotechnics. Cheap thrills.

I'm getting closer to the moment of truth. Wiring is complete, although I left the fuel pump wire disconnected so I can do the MSD ignition and Painless TCU calibrations without flooding the engine. The throttle and cruse control cables are in place as is the new fuel regulator. I'm not satisfied yet with the throttle cable. It's only opening the blades about 75%. There are a couple of adjustments I can make but it may require a modification to the pedal assembly. I can calibrate the throttle position sender by manually opening the throttle, but I'm not sure how that will affect the transmission shift points. Probably better to calibrate it with 100% travel than a partial amount. That way when I get the pedal issue sorted out, it will be ready to go.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2021, 06:14 PM   #620
regan wilson

That looks awesome Vic. You know I'm kinda fond of dual carbs.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:25 PM   #621
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by regan wilson View Post
That looks awesome Vic. You know I'm kinda fond of dual carbs.
Thanks, Regan, I think I'm gonna like them too.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!! (Video link below)

Today I input all the parameters for the transmission and the ignition boxes, programmed the fan controller and the throttle position sensor. I also set the high and low fuel pressures and checked for leaks (just one fitting I'd failed to tighten fully). Then it was time to bust it off. Per the FST carb instructions, I gave the throttle two pumps and turned the key to start. Instant happiness. It fired up like it had been on the road for months. I let it warm up and adjusted the idle down then waited until the temp got high enough to trigger the low fan. Everything seems to be working. I ran the trans thru PRND and it felt good and solid. Trans pressure on the new gauge was reading around 250 psi. The AFR gauge was reading about 11 at idle. Once I get it on the road, I'll have a better idea of whether I need a jet change. Right now I'm pretty impressed with the way the carbs worked right out of the box. Also, the MSD, Painless and Dakota Digital electronics all worked great.

Tomorrow I plan to recalibrate the speedometer and check in with Hot Rod Express. Still need to get the A/C charged up and working. I'll sleep a lot better tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdHkGkoo_ws

Last edited by Vic1947; 07-06-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:00 PM   #622
sduckworth13

Woohoo! Sounds amazing Vic!
Old 07-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #623
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Best thing I've heard all day..!!!!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 07-05-2021, 09:41 PM   #624
regan wilson

that sounds sweet Vic.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:33 AM   #625
Ol Blue K20

Congratulations Vic!!!

Dale