The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2021, 04:33 PM   #1
weim55

Correct black paint for stock steel wheels?

I have one good original wheel with almost no wear or weathering and the original black paint seems to be somewhere in the middle of chassis black and gloss black(?) anyone know how I could source correct paint for original wheels in a stock application?

Steve weim55 Colorado
Posted via Mobile Device
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
cryowagon

Re: Correct black paint for stock steel wheels?

I'd like to know too. I've never read anything in GM literature other than "black." I would've assumed that they'd be the same gloss black used on the body, since two tone trucks used body colored wheels. It makes sense though, that the wheel manufacturer may have used a semi-gloss black and that GM just left them that way unless it was a two toned truck. Hopefully someone can enlighten us.
cryowagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:16 PM   #3
oem4me

A quality semi-gloss black will get you close. I'm not even sure if the factory was totally consistent on the level of gloss used on standard wheels. I can tell you it's not high gloss, and not satin either, but somewhere in between.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #4
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
A quality semi-gloss black will get you close. I'm not even sure if the factory was totally consistent on the level of gloss used on standard wheels. I can tell you it's not high gloss, and not satin either, but somewhere in between.
That's good to know, thanks. I've got a set of wheels that need some black paint on them for that stock-ish look

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:19 PM   #5
60-66

Quote:
Possible reason for the different black you might be seeing is there were several different wheel makers for GM. Im assuming the wheel maker painted them black before being shipped . Definitely not gloss , I would and always have gone semi gloss
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:44 PM   #6
weim55

Quote:

Agreed, the middle, kinda.... Seems to be shade just slightly flatter than gloss. I might just hit the paint supplier and ask for just that.

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote