The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2021, 01:21 AM   #1
AllGoNoShow

Enlarging driveshaft hole in stock crossmember?

So I have a c-notch on a long-bed C10 and while measuring for the 4” one piece driveshaft that I want to run, I realized the driveshaft will be hitting the top of the trailing arm crossmember before the rearend hits the bump stops.

Has anyone just enlarged the hole on the stock trailing arm crossmember to fix this? Looks like I would just need 1/2 inch, which I could obtain just by cutting the bent lip of the existing crossmember and maybe even sectioning it and welding it back on?

I know there are some aftermarket options here but I think some of them would interfere with the bottom of the cab on a long-bed because of the placement of the crossmember in relation to where it sits on a short-bed (and I am on a bit of a time crunch). I had a 3.5 one piece driveshaft in it with no c notch and stock bump stops and it hit, but it’s getting lower and I want to upgrade to a bigger shaft after learning about and calculating the “critical speed” of a driveshaft that needs to be this long for a LWB.

Nick
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote