The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2020, 01:40 PM   #26
Bigdually

Re: 1986 S10 Daily Driver Rollover Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
I have an 85 S15, 2.5 Duke with 700 trans and factory air. I bought a bunch of parts from Rock Auto and put it back on the road. It runs pretty good, but the engine has a rattle at low RPM. May be a bad piston, but I guess I'll run it till it dies.
The 2.5 is not a quiet motor. It's got a lot of things that make it noisy, mainly the valvetrain due to the fiber timing gear wearing and causing noise. Mines fairly quiet, but I had to have the head shaved to true it up when I did the head gasket and bolts a good while back. Under load the valves will chatter on low grade gasoline, if I use midgrade I never hear them.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:22 PM   #27
Bigdually

Switched back to the body work for this evening, I drilled the spot welds and cut the good cab corner out of the old cab. After a little trimming, this one snapped right into place and fit 100% better than the other one.

I bought a Harbor Freight air flange/punch tool on sale for $25, I used that to flange the top of the red cab corner to fit up under the cab metal on the new cab. I picked up a 3M panel bond glue cartridge and applicator gun combo on Amazon for almost what the glue alone costs locally. I'm no welder, so the glue is the only way to go for me.

I have it glued and clamped in place to cure now. This is my first attempt at any sort of body repair whatsoever, so I'm learning as I go here. If I don't get perfect results I'm not too worried, it's a work beater and in my opinion, not too bad a place to practice a little bodywork.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #28
Katrina/10

I heard that timing gear could be a problem, so I ordered a steel gear set, then took the cover off. Guess what, the fiber gear was perfect! So I took the cam out to change it anyway, hoping that might help with something. I found the roller lifters had worn grooves in the the cam, so ordered another cam. Finally got everything put back together, and it still rattles. After going through the entire valve train, it must be something piston related.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #29
Low Elco

I love these Drive a 97 EC every day. Good work! Any link to the panel bond/gun combo?
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #30
Bigdually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
I love these Drive a 97 EC every day. Good work! Any link to the panel bond/gun combo?
Thanks! They're definitely good little trucks.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Adhesive-M...26468864&psc=1

I could get the glue locally for around $80 and the gun for $150. Definitely a better deal on Amazon. The gun is sturdy and very well built. It will probably last me for the rest of my life at my hobby level of vehicle repair.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:25 PM   #31
Bigdually

I filled the transmission with fluid this evening and changed the fuel filter while it's easy to reach. I did those things while waiting for the body filler on the cab corner to dry so I could sand.

I KNOW it isn't a great job, or even a good job. But it's my first time doing it, and I'm happy with the results. I used some seam sealer in the gap between the rocker and the cab corner, just like factory. I worried most about the side where it will be seen. The back isn't bad, but it isn't perfect either. The bed will always cover it there. At least it's better than if I'd just stuffed rags in the rust hole and bondo'd it up like most do to these trucks. A few coats of primer and some sanding, then some paint, and the cab will be completed.

I have high hopes my shifter will arrive tomorrow. Once it's on and my cab corner is painted I'm pretty much ready to set the cab on. I'm getting excited about that.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bigdually; 02-12-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Bigdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:19 AM   #32
Bigdually

Big progress yesterday!

My shifter came in the mail, got that bolted up and it seems to work nicely, I think I like it!

Got home from work early and threw on a few coats of primer and a few coats of blue paint that is SO much darker than the color on the lid. Oh well, at least it's not rust.

I also finished up some little things and got the new cab mounts on the frame, then fired up the tractor and rolled the frame outside to set the cab on. Once I got it on and back inside I hooked a few things up enough to see if I have power on everything that is different in this cab from the old one. I do, but there are some ground issues I think. It'll crank over but I get no fuel pump, but the relay is clicking. Also I have a whole slew of dash lights on, looks like a Christmas tree. Being that I don't have the cab bolts in yet and that there's not much grounding anything, I'm pretty sure it'll heal itself as I keep putting it together.

I didn't get a picture of it as it sits until I was about to walk out of the shop, I can see it looking like a truck again!
Attached Images

Last edited by Bigdually; 02-14-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #33
SCOTI

Sucks how it 'started' but it's shaping up to be a nice resurrection of a cool little truck.

Nicely done patch repair for your first attempt. I'd just rock a rattle-can re-spray in a color that matches better. Use some finer grade Scotch-Brite or steel wool to help w/the blend.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:12 AM   #34
Bigdually

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Sucks how it 'started' but it's shaping up to be a nice resurrection of a cool little truck.

Nicely done patch repair for your first attempt. I'd just rock a rattle-can re-spray in a color that matches better. Use some finer grade Scotch-Brite or steel wool to help w/the blend.
Thanks! Appreciate the comments, I didn't think it was horrible for a first try, I can definitely see getting better at it if it was something I did more often.

I've been considering either a spray bomb or buying a cheap Harbor Freight gun and spraying it myself. Either way I'm definitely going to drive it first and work the kinks out, getting it back to daily driver status is a priority

As far as progress goes, I worked on it this weekend some and got the clutch and brakes bled, plus fixed several electrical issues that were mainly due to grounding. It starts and runs now! Won't stay running very long and I have no rear lights whatsoever, but I'm closing the gap on the electrical gremlins.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:53 AM   #35
Myself

Good progress. I think the repair looks fine. An autobody supply house can mix up your exact paint code in a spraycan for you. Runs about $15.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:11 PM   #36
Bigdually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself View Post
Good progress. I think the repair looks fine. An autobody supply house can mix up your exact paint code in a spraycan for you. Runs about $15.
Thanks! I might get serious with the paint sometime after I get it roadworthy again, if I go the spraybomb route I'll have to remember that.

Haven't made any progress this week due to work, but this evening I came home and kinda just sat and looked at it. I had my battery sitting in the passenger floorboard and jumper cables run up front to hook things up. My issue had been everything out the back wasn't working and my fuel pump sounded funny. It hit me that all that stuff grounds to the frame, and I hadn't hooked up the wire that usually runs from B- down to the frame. A simple quick connection and now everything works!

Of course, this was the time the battery decided to give up and fill the floor with acid from a mystery leak on the case. Thank God I had a box of baking soda in the shop fridge, it came in handy

I think tomorrow I'll work on the front clip and maybe the interior. This evening I'll pick up a battery that actually fits the tray, my old one was too big and had a bungee for a hold down that was rollover tested and held up like a champ
Attached Images

Last edited by Bigdually; 02-21-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:17 PM   #37
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdually View Post
Thanks! I might get serious with the paint sometime after I get it roadworthy again, if I go the spraybomb route I'll have to remember that.

Haven't made any progress this week due to work, but this evening I came home and kinda just sat and looked at it. I had my battery sitting in the passenger floorboard and jumper cables run up front to hook things up. My issue had been everything out the back wasn't working and my fuel pump sounded funny. It hit me that all that stuff grounds to the frame, and I hadn't hooked up the wire that usually runs from B- down to the frame. A simple quick connection and now everything works!

Of course, this was the time the battery decided to give up and fill the floor with acid from a mystery leak on the case. Thank God I had a box of baking soda in the shop fridge, it came in handy

I think tomorrow I'll work on the front clip and maybe the interior. This evening I'll pick up a battery that actually fits the tray, my old one was too big and had a bungee for a hold down that was rollover tested and held up like a champ
"Mystery leak" would suggest otherwise

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-23-2020, 01:29 AM   #38
Bigdually

Quote:
"Mystery leak" would suggest otherwise

Odd thing was the leak is from the bottom of the case, I think where the battery was too wide and vibrated for a long time over the edge of the battery tray. Have a proper group 78 unit in there now with 800 CCA.

Worked on it for several hours today (Saturday) and got lots done. Reverse lights work now, had to wire my transmission reverse switch to the wiring that was inside the cab that used to go to the auto column. Switched over the brake light switch from the old auto pedal assembly to the manual one to make the brake lights work. Rewired all my aftermarket guages and my electric fan setup too. Hooked up and adjusted the parking brakes, and set on the front clip.

The new front clip was in really good shape, except the passenger inner fender and the battery tray were rotted. My old front end had a good inner and tray, so I did the old swaperoo and now the whole front clip on the truck is solid. Fenders need a shim on the top bolts, but I didn't have any so I'll have to adjust that later.

There were lots of wires and plumbing and cables to route, and they're all tucked away nicely now, I just have to bolt on the hood and stick in my LED headlights from before, then the bezels. Inside I need to pick the best floor mat and put that in and then bolt in my red seat because it's far more comfortable. Then it's door and window seals. As it sits now it moves on its own power. I need to bleed the brakes again, they're a tad soft, but otherwise everything works!
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #39
SCOTI

Lots of work on display!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #40
Myself

Wow! It almost looks like a truck again!
Old 02-23-2020, 11:58 PM   #41
Bigdually

Quote:
Lots of work on display!
Yes it is! I told myself, and everyone else, that a couple weeks from the time I started was all it would take to be driving it again. Realistically it was just over a month

Quote:
Wow! It almost looks like a truck again!
Those words exactly were what my girlfriend said about it!

Did some more things today, I picked up a couple bulbs I was needing, 1157s and 1003s. Installed said bulbs in the front right turn signal and the floor courtesy lights in the cab. Then I swapped out the busted taillight lens for the best one of the four that came with the new cab and stuck my headlights in along with the bezels. I put in my seat too, and threw on the hood and it was ready for a test drive.

The test drive was good, but uneventful. My voltage gauge quit on me, but I think it's just a wire pulled loose, I was tidying them up and hiding them before I put the seat in. It also smoked like a TRAIN for a couple minutes, but cleared up as all the oil from being upside down finally burnt out of the cylinders and the manifold. Other than those little issues everything worked exactly as it should.

Next up is getting the two driver's side tires broken down and the beads cleaned then remounted. There's dirt and grass in the beads from the rollover causing them to leak down slowly. Then definitely the door and window seals are next, followed by swapping the door lock cylinders, the door panels, and the A-pillar trim from my red cab. I'm thinking for the floor I'm going to order a new vinyl mat, both my old ones are torn.

I've seen the light at the end of the tunnel for a couple days, and after driving it today it feels good to be out! There's a tire shop beside my work, so in the morning it's returning to daily duty and being dropped off for the tire work, and hopefully the seals and interior swapping can happen tomorrow evening.

Edit: I know in the pics it looks like it's pulling a trailer, but it's not hooked up. Optical illusion
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2020, 12:33 AM   #42
SCOTI

<6wks turn around is solid kickin arse.
Well done 😎👍
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-24-2020, 08:31 AM   #43
Katrina/10

I ordered all those door glass channels from Rock Auto, they fit great.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Old 02-24-2020, 11:29 AM   #44
Myself

When we redid our little show truck I got a whole weatherstripping kit for around $150.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #45
Bigdually

Quote:
<6wks turn around is solid kickin arse.
Well done 😎👍
Thanks!

Quote:
I ordered all those door glass channels from Rock Auto, they fit great.
Quote:
When we redid our little show truck I got a whole weatherstripping kit for around $150.
I redid all the weatherstripping in the truck on the original cab with a kit from RockAuto that fit great. I ordered the same one again, it's in a box in the garage. Hopefully this evening I'll get it installed.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:09 AM   #46
Bigdually

Well, yesterday was a mixed bag of results.

I got the tires broken down, beads cleaned, remounted, and balanced and didn't even have to wait, I dropped it off and the shop did it while I was at work.

When I got home I got the door seals on both sides replaced, the A-pillar trim switched over, and I had just finished with the glass run on the drivers door and was installing the window glass when I fumbled and shattered it. I've had window glass in and out of these first gens probably 20 times on various trucks, and that was a first. There's a good local glass shop I like to use, so this morning when they open I'll be their first caller and get a new one coming. With any luck it won't be too long before it gets here.

On a positive note, the window seals from RockAuto are super nice and are fitting perfectly! If I have to wait on new glass at least I'll have the passenger side to work on until it comes in. I'm switching my red door panels over too and am going to try to salvage my red headliner. That will make the whole interior look more put together and less like a Kindergarten art project. Too many primary colors
Old 02-25-2020, 11:58 PM   #47
Bigdually

New glass came in today, called a little after 8 AM and had the new one there by 1 PM. My GF picked it up on her way home from work and we finished the weatherstripping project this evening. Also lubed the window regulators and swapped over my red door panels and the door lock cylinders from the red cab so that now all my keys are the same as they always were.

It's a LOT quieter in the cab now and it's nice that it isn't windy anymore with the windows up. I'm waiting for my floor mat, it should quiet things down even more. As far as the interior goes, I have only the headliner left to try and salvage. My red one was recovered not too long ago and I think maybe I can save it.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #48
Katrina/10

Is it a factory style black rubber mat?

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Old 02-26-2020, 10:50 PM   #49
Bigdually

Quote:
Is it a factory style black rubber mat?
It is, from ACC. It covers the full cab floor though instead of just the front half like the factory one, and seems to be thicker. It also has insulation with it for heat and sound.

Tonight I worked on something completely unrelated to fixing the small leak from a couple grommets on the firewall and putting in the new floor mat. I put in a radio! Picked it up for free from a buddy who has an old Blazer about to go to scrap, I think it looks nice and it seems to work pretty well too. Main thing is I'll have a clock now

Also switched the 34 year old speakers out for the newer Pioneer units that were in the dash of the new cab. They fit nicely and dont sound too bad, but I'm not too picky about sound systems anyhow. I'm pretty happy with the results.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2020, 09:30 AM   #50
Katrina/10

Thanks, I'll take a look for the mats. I didn't know they made those, and mine is cracked.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100