The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2021, 08:50 AM   #26
special-K
Special Order

Re: I caused a back up at the drive through today.

Just think how much money is lost at all these stores that tossed those "obsolete" (<) manual credit card machines. Cashiers can do the math on their phone if they're too dumb to do the math

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:45 PM   #27
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I'm sure a lot of you "old guys" remember back when grocery stores used to actually stamp the prices onto the products as they were loaded onto the shelves. Back then, at least in my area, if the price went up, it only applied to the newest stock on the shelves. The cans/boxes that had been stamped with the price from when they arrived, were still sold for that previous price. So, theoretically you could buy two cans of soup at different prices, even though they were exactly the same otherwise.
People today would be mind-blown by that. Today the price is on the shelf, could change at any time, and every can sells for the increased price. This maximizes profit by selling goods that were purchased at the earlier lower cost for the same increased price of the newest inventory.

Then the cashiers had to enter the price into the register "by hand", none of that scanning like today. Then they had to make change, or wait for someone to write a check, because you couldn't buy food with a credit card (debit cards didn't exist yet)
Something as simple as a trip to the local grocery store has changed so much......damn, I'm old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:14 PM   #28
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I'm sure a lot of you "old guys" remember back when grocery stores used to actually stamp the prices onto the products as they were loaded onto the shelves. Back then, at least in my area, if the price went up, it only applied to the newest stock on the shelves. The cans/boxes that had been stamped with the price from when they arrived, were still sold for that previous price. So, theoretically you could buy two cans of soup at different prices, even though they were exactly the same otherwise.
People today would be mind-blown by that. Today the price is on the shelf, could change at any time, and every can sells for the increased price. This maximizes profit by selling goods that were purchased at the earlier lower cost for the same increased price of the newest inventory.

Then the cashiers had to enter the price into the register "by hand", none of that scanning like today. Then they had to make change, or wait for someone to write a check, because you couldn't buy food with a credit card (debit cards didn't exist yet)
Something as simple as a trip to the local grocery store has changed so much......damn, I'm old
Longhair ,,I do remember all what you shared ,,and when the computer scanning came in ,,it took awhile to trust it and the person doing the scanning,,, just a few days ago while getting checked out by a young girl on her first day of scanning ,, the over see-er person walked up to her and told her she missed the grapes I had and had her scan it,, after coming home I discovered she HAD scanned them and her over see-er was wrong . it was over $3 so I will take the receipt back and get it straightened out ..
Old 09-24-2021, 08:17 PM   #29
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:

Ya, you old, same as me (I'm 68). Scanning food barcodes has helped the cashiers with not getting carpal tunnel syndrome, which was a fairly common thing before that. I watch that scanning like a hawk. It's so true about the price increases. Some of the big box stores have electronic price indicators on the shelves that hold the wood, like 2X4 studs. Even gas stations have them. I remember using the magnet on the stick to put the prices up on the marquee.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:20 PM   #30
72c20customcamper

I argue with them if the price on the shelf is lower than the scanned price 100% of the time they honor the lower price. At lowes they had a special ,buy a dewalt sliding compound saw get a free work bench for it . All the sliding saws were 399.99 on the shelf but on the end cap was a "special buy " dewalt sliding compound exact same saw different item number saw for 299.99 so I get it and a stand . The stand rings up at 199.99 I ask why cashier says that saw isnt in the sale, so I ask for a manager she looks at the sign and tells the girl to give me the stand . Sign didnt have item numbers or a disclaimer saying special buys excluded.

Sign was gone the next day replaced by a very explicit one.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:29 PM   #31
MikeB

You expect $15/hr employees to make change? That's the de facto minimum wage these days for people who can make fog on a mirror. Does the drive-in not have an electronic cash register? Oh, by the way, do you want fries with that?
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:52 PM   #32
davischevy

I has gotten to the point that I keep lots of change for the drive through, and pay exact. It causes me less stress.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:30 AM   #33
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

When I was about 19 or 20 I got a job stocking shelves in East LA. I was good at that. But one day they were short handed and put me on a cash register. It was the old type. No scanner in those days.

I had no idea what I was doing. I wasn't a cashier. They just tossed me into the deep end of the pool. I didn't know how to run the register. And you had to move fast. But I tried. And I pissed off a lot of people. I had one woman screaming at me in Spanish. Good thing that I didn't speak Spanish at the time. I overcharged her 19 bucks. I quit that job the next day and went back to my job at the gas station. And I learned to speak Spanish. Only because my girl spoke Spanish. That was a mistake. It was a lot easier to not know what she was b!tching about.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:56 AM   #34
4u2nv

Quote:

Been there done that
My Dad had a grocery , butcher shop store when I was a kid and I do remember that price stamper very well , ink pad in the bottom turn the rubber bands with numbers on them to the price you wanted and stamp away and your right the price never changed unless new stock did.
He trained me on the cash also and you counted the change back to the customer .
" Son , don't put the eggs in the bottom of the bag"
You packed their items they didn't do it and carried them to their car also
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #35
joedoh

i watched a new guy working the register at the grocery hand back the original total in change to at least two people in front of me. saw him do it to the first and it made me pay attention, when he did it to the second I spoke up. the guy getting 44.53 back in change from handing him two twenties and a ten shot me dirty looks. I explained to the clerk what he was doing wrong, he turned pale, must have been doing it a while. drawer was probably short for a while.

i thought the guy who was getting "long changed" (is that the opposite of short chenged?) was going to wait for me in the parking lot, missed out on his 88% discount.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:18 AM   #36
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
May I take your order? Yes I want blah blah etc. ... Is the order correct on the screen? Yep. Ok that will be $11.44 at the window.

Get to the window and hand the nice girl $21.44. Get my food, get my change ... 9 bucks. Hey you owe me a dollar. Blank stare. I gave you the 1.44 so I could get an even ten back. Ill have to get my manager. Manager, box of rocks, same difference. You get what Im saying. Just give him his dollar. Nice girl gives me my dollar. Im not sure why you gave me this extra dollar, Im just giving it back to you ... No problem kiddo, have a great rest of the day. I hope you get all debit cards from now on.
my wife had that very problem the other day. she gives them the $20 bill and the correct change and the "young person" stared at her. Move child the food's getting cold. yep, I tell her just give them the $20 from now on.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:36 AM   #37
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by my56chevytruck View Post
my wife had that very problem the other day. she gives them the $20 bill and the correct change and the "young person" stared at her. Move child the food's getting cold. yep, I tell her just give them the $20 from now on.
I bet there will be a button for this calculation soon.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-26-2021, 10:35 AM   #38
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It would probably cause more trouble.

Name:  any.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  60.9 KB

Name:  Dozen.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  48.7 KB
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:12 PM   #39
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

It's not just the young folks. My wife and I went to our local lodge for a couple of beers. My wife pays the elderly bartender $40 and gets $75 change.

Now she can't get the elderly lady's attention so she flags down another guy and explains the situation.

He says "Oh yeah. She does that all the time'. Then explains that they keep her on the bar because the job is all she has. Her husband and friends have died. It's an all volunteer operation. So she doesn't get paid. She just does it because she's lonely and they don't have the heart to tell her that she can't do it anymore.

So. My wife gives back the money The guy thanks her and then says not everybody gives it back.

This ticked me off. What kind of scumbag steals money from a place like that? Where people are volunteering their time and trying to help the community. I could see it in a dive bar. But not there.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:27 PM   #40
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
It's not just the young folks. My wife and I went to our local lodge for a couple of beers. My wife pays the elderly bartender $40 and gets $75 change.

Now she can't get the elderly lady's attention so she flags down another guy and explains the situation.

He says "Oh yeah. She does that all the time'. Then explains that they keep her on the bar because the job is all she has. Her husband and friends have died. It's an all volunteer operation. So she doesn't get paid. She just does it because she's lonely and they don't have the heart to tell her that she can't do it anymore.

So. My wife gives back the money The guy thanks her and then says not everybody gives it back.

This ticked me off. What kind of scumbag steals money from a place like that? Where people are volunteering their time and trying to help the community. I could see it in a dive bar. But not there.
Yeah
I don't understand how some people act anymore
How do they sleep at night.

Old 09-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #41
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
Yeah
I don't understand how some people act anymore
How do they sleep at night.
Sadly, they probably sleep like babies, oblivious to what they have done.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:08 PM   #42
LONGHAIR

Quote:

Attachment 2134510

Attachment 2134511
The half-dozen and 6 thing reminds me of the problem these kids have with telling time. They just don't get the bit about quarter til. Digital clocks just don't ever say that....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Sadly, they probably sleep like babies, oblivious to what they have done.
It's not oblivious, they know and do it anyway.

Quote:
They are just in too much of a hurry. The system already allows them to enter the actual amount given, but they have already by-passed that by entering the $20, because that was enough in the first place. If they had waited for you to give them the change and entered it properly, the amount of change calculated would be correct.

Quote:
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:18 AM   #43
special-K
Special Order

With a clock face you can easily see the 3, 6, 9, and twelve are at quarters and obviously you don't have that with digital. So we know that's where they are lost. But also... it's simple math they don't think to figure, a quarter of 60 minutes is 15, half is 30, and 3/4s is 45 or 15 before the next hour.

Tim

Old 09-29-2021, 10:34 AM   #44
my56chevytruck

Quote:

Attachment 2134510

Attachment 2134511
Love those. Hey, let's all give these kids a 2nd chance. They're working and not sitting home.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:12 AM   #45
Rich84

Quote:
Love those. Hey, let's all give these kids a 2nd chance. They're working and not sitting home.
That's a good point.

Hard to blame the kids for the failure of our education system.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:56 PM   #46
Getter-Done

Quote:
I Agree

Old 10-03-2021, 11:06 AM   #47
LONGHAIR

Quote:
With a clock face you can easily see the 3, 6, 9, and twelve are at quarters and obviously you don't have that with digital. So we know that's where they are lost. But also... it's simple math they don't think to figure, a quarter of 60 minutes is 15, half is 30, and 3/4s is 45 or 15 before the next hour.
Yes, without the sweeping hands that are approaching the next hour, it doesn't make as much sense. But still...everyone should be able to tell time by an analog clock.

Quote:

Old 10-03-2021, 11:48 AM   #48
Getter-Done

I was at my Favorite DG using my Saturday (Buy $25 get $5 off Coupon).

My Favorite Cashier had to drive from home to help with new employee issue. Not a bad issue.

Well she had to bring her Grandson with her.

While I was the next person in line ,
I observed ,She was teaching her Grandson to count out change to the lady in front of me.

He was probably 7 or 8 years old.

She stated (They don't teach kids to count backwards in school anymore).

She stated that she asked someone at the school about that and there comment was.

(It was unnecessary.)

So there you go.

The Common Core is today’s New Math – which is actually a good thing

Name:  cc321.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  101.7 KB

Old 10-03-2021, 12:03 PM   #49
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Work ethic just ain't what it used to be..
People just dont care..and dont want to work
Especially when they can stay home and get money from Uncle Sam and unemployment checks from the state. And do it in the midst of a Labor Shortage!

Good point above about the kids who are at least showing up and working. Maybe businesses can teach them math used in the real world, since the schools obviously aren't doing it.
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 10-03-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #50
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
i watched a new guy working the register at the grocery hand back the original total in change to at least two people in front of me. saw him do it to the first and it made me pay attention, when he did it to the second I spoke up. the guy getting 44.53 back in change from handing him two twenties and a ten shot me dirty looks. I explained to the clerk what he was doing wrong, he turned pale, must have been doing it a while. drawer was probably short for a while.

i thought the guy who was getting "long changed" (is that the opposite of short chenged?) was going to wait for me in the parking lot, missed out on his 88% discount.
Way back in the day I worked at a convenience store where a cashier would tell the customer the price before he rang anything up. For example he knew the price on a loaf of bread and gallon of milk. If the customer didn't say anything, he put the money in the drawer and pocketed it later. If the customer asked for a receipt, he'd go ahead ring it up. That way the cash drawer would never be "short." Somewhat clever but a bit ballsy. He eventually got caught and fired, even they there were no cameras back then. In fact, he might have been arrested.

This could also be done by ringing up only part of the items brought through checkout by an accomplice. I worked at another job where a co-worker was explaining scams like this to me, and wanted to get my help. One of his "selling points" was there would be minimal if any jailtime.