The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
R&B51

Evaporative control system on LS swap

Installing between the rear rails gas tank on 51 project. Using as much of the C6 Corvette components as I can/need to. He has a black box full of charcoal that I figured out is a fuel vapor recirculation system on closed pressurized systems. Must be something used on most or all new cars?
I guess older vehicles evaporate about one tank of fuel out per year and having this in place keeps that out of the environment, out of the air in your garage.I assume I will not be using a vented gas cap, was planning on using one of the new non-cap doors at the filler that snaps shut on its own.
Questions
Have any of you install this on your LS swap?
Is it necessary for a better performance of the fuel system?
Will excess pressure build without this in place?
Threw in a picture in case that helps
Posted via Mobile Device
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:56 AM   #2
R&B51

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B51 View Post
Installing between the rear rails gas tank on 51 project. Using as much of the C6 Corvette components as I can/need to. He has a black box full of charcoal that I figured out is a fuel vapor recirculation system on closed pressurized systems. Must be something used on most or all new cars?
I guess older vehicles evaporate about one tank of fuel out per year and having this in place keeps that out of the environment, out of the air in your garage.I assume I will not be using a vented gas cap, was planning on using one of the new non-cap doors at the filler that snaps shut on its own.
Questions
Have any of you install this on your LS swap?
Is it necessary for a better performance of the fuel system?
Will excess pressure build without this in place?
Threw in a picture in case that helps
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
1project2many

Re: Evaporative control system on LS swap

This device is really to catch gasoline vapors then allow the engine to burn them later. Without this you should make sure there's some type of vent on the fuel tank.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #4
mr48chev

I'd hook it up and run it as your flip top gas cap should be sealed. Beats the tar out of smelling gas around your truck when it is sitting out in the sun at events and keeps any contamination out of your gas. Plus gas doesn't seem to break down near as fast in rigs with sealed systems as it does in rigs with vented to the air systems from my personal experience. Rigs with vented caps seem to have the gas break down a lot faster.

Throw in that in actual truth the charcoal filters air going into the tank to replace the gas going out just as much as it cleans up the fumes going out. All gas tanks are vented to let air in to replace the fuel when it is pumped out far more than being vented to let fumes out when the rig is sitting.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:17 PM   #5
R&B51

I imagine the LS conversion gas tank I ordered has a vent included. I guess I would run that vent up to this device and then far as I can tell it will have another line that goes up to the engine on the fuel rail somewhere? The details of the hook up are a mystery to me I’ll have to investigate that or maybe one of you already knows?
Entire drive line was from a 2005 C6 Corvette.
This unit should be pretty fresh, donor vehicle only had 15,000 miles on it.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:01 PM   #6
mr48chev

Hook it up like it would have been on the donor rig and done. It's not going to show where you will mount it, it doesn't take any horse power and outside of maybe a few feet of new hose there is no real actual added cost.

Plus in case you ever have to take it to a shop because of a drivability issue There aren't any plugged off lines or any home made solutions to deal with.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:31 PM   #7
R&B51

I think you talked me into it I’m gonna try to figure out how to hook it up. I’ll swim around on the Internet maybe search how to replace your unit online.
I bought the rolling driveline and chassis from Cleveland Power and Performance. All these miscellaneous parts were wrapped in bubble wrap in boxes so I did not see it come off of the car. They had already removed the body and just left a frame chunk on each corner.
Picture is how I got the unit
Attached Images