The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2016, 10:31 PM   #76
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Refining "Sierra"

I spent the day cleaning and painting parts while Chris logged in a lot of hours at the blasting cabinet. If you dont have a blasting cabinet, you should get one. Chris and I in love with that big red machine. It's amazing how much time it saves prepping parts for paint.

As mentioned, I plan to use Dupli-Color high temp brushed stainless paint for the motor and brackets. I wanted an accent color that was darker, but not satin black. I found Duplicolor DE1651 cast iron engine enamel to be exactly what I was looking for. It is graphite gray with a slight bronze tint to it. Its satin finish is the perfect accent to the brushed stainless silver.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #77
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Nice work, only 31 days left before LST...

Did you get the HF bast cabinet?

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #78
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Nice work, only 31 days left before LST... Did you get the HF bast cabinet?
Yeah, I told Chris it will be the nicest looking non running motor at LST if we dont get going.

Yes, I caught the HF cabinet on sale. I also had an additional 20% of code so it was 60% off. Its a good deal for the average garage shop. If you buy one, go ahead and buy a spare roll of 3/4" foam weather strip and seal everything extra tight.

I also picked up the HF 5 gallon shop vac to use as a dust collector. It does the job just fine, but it has a really high pitched exhaust note. I will be working on a muffler for that soon.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-25-2016, 02:36 PM   #79
LEEVON

I love this build. I owned this one-owner '87 from California, it had the Mahogany interior. I had trouble finding the correct color parts, but I was able to match some SEM dye very well. The guy who bought it from me took it to the next level like you are doing.

Keep on posting!

Leevon
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2016, 02:49 PM   #80
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
I love this build. I owned this one-owner '87 from California, it had the Mahogany interior. I had trouble finding the correct color parts, but I was able to match some SEM dye very well. The guy who bought it from me took it to the next level like you are doing.

Keep on posting!

Leevon
Thanks for the kind words. I'm hoping I haven't got in to deep with not enough time.

Did you find the matching dye in spray cans or have it mixed up?

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #81
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

EMy work schedule doesn't allow much shop time during the week. By the time I get home and wrap up my office work the day is pretty much done. I did get to unpack some goodies I had ordered, so there is that.

I mentioned that I ordered a carpet kit from OC Auto Carpets which is a distributor for Auto Custom Carpets. They are having a 50% off sale till the end of the month, so I took advantage of the saving. I ordered a deluxe carpet kit, matching floor mats, and door panel.

The mats and door panel insert came in yesterday. The quality of these parts are excellent. The only concern is the door panel inserts dont come with holes to attach the factory stainless trim. I plan to mount them up and decide if the trim stays or goes.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #82
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I also ordered a bolt set from Alloy Boltz I researched 5-6 of the top suppliers, and Allow Boltz had the best deal on polished stainless button heads. They have kits that are specific to your application, and come packaged and tagged.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #83
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The plug wires that were on the motor looked to be in good condition, but I did not like the way they were routed. I considered trying to reuse them, but opted for a new set that I could build myself. This would allow me to route them in a cleaner fashion, and cut them to the necessary length.

I decided on MSD 31239 based on reviews, features, and price. These are a premium 8.5mm silicone wire. I shopped the web and got a great deal from Auto Zone online. Since I was already buying a water pump for local pick up, my total allowed me free shipping.

It's just a coincidence that they happen to match the colors I am using to detail the motor

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #84
Trixxterr

Wow. Loving the update to the truck. Looks great.
Trixxterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:02 PM   #85
Low Elco

You probably already know, but just an fyi-Get a tub of anti-sieze with the brush and use it liberally with any stainless fastener. They'll gall about the third thread down without it and you'll never get 'em apart again. Ask me how I know. Thanks for the tip- I may juat go that route on mine. I hate tearing up painted bolt heads.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #86
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixxterr View Post
Wow. Loving the update to the truck. Looks great.
Thanks for the kind words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
You probably already know, but just an fyi-Get a tub of anti-sieze with the brush and use it liberally with any stainless fastener. They'll gall about the third thread down without it and you'll never get 'em apart again. Ask me how I know. Thanks for the tip- I may juat go that route on mine. I hate tearing up painted bolt heads.
Yes sir I am very familiar with the anti-sieze requirements on stainless fastners. I have a tin on standby just waiting to be smeared all over the garage.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #87
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

FI had a late day yesterday, so no shop time again. I did get an email from Greg Stroik at Precision Replacement Parts. PRP This was the third time Greg reached out to discuss the various option on rebuilding my vent windows. Each time he gave me options on how the end product would be.

I haven't seen the end product yet, but I sense that these will be a work of art. As much as I love things that look nice, I'm even more excited about them working properly. The cab on this truck was fairly tight, but the vent windows had massive air leaks.

Combine the PRP restoration with the new window gaskets and scrapers, along with the sound deadner install and the doors on this truck should be better than new.

If you are interested in a quote to have your vent windows restored, or any of the Precision Replacement Parts products and services contact forum Vendor "Precision Parts" or give them a call at 800-367-8241
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-28-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:28 AM   #88
JWall
Frequent Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I found Duplicolor DE1651 cast iron engine enamel to be exactly what I was looking for. It is graphite gray with a slight bronze tint to it.
Good looking color. I'll have to add this to the memory bank.

Quote:
I also ordered a bolt set from Alloy Boltz
Thanks for the source on this too... I do like some polished hardware.

Quote:
I have a tin on standby just waiting to be smeared all over the garage.
Ain't that the truth.

Everything is looking great Ken! (as I totally expected)
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #89
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
Thanks for the vent window update. I finished installing mine during the weekend. It was rewarding to install new seals as well as the heat and sound deadening material.

How about showing some pics of your plug wire project. I'd like to see your process of measuring, crimping and routing.
I am anxiously awaiting the return package from PRP so I can seal the cab up again.

Chaplain I'm not at that point to show the plugs wire install yet. I still have a weekends worth of cleaning and painting to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWall View Post
Everything is looking great Ken! (as I totally expected)
Thank you sir.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-28-2016, 12:43 PM   #90
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
I'm not there yet either. I'll keep watching for updates. In due season...
For me it better be soon. I have to get the top end back together and running quickly. The Lonestar Throwdown crunch is real.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #91
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

8I had a family event to attend mid day, but I did get some progress made. Last night, and this morning I spent a few hours cleaning and masking. While I worked on final prep for firewall and engine paint, Chris blew the front of the core support apart. It had been painted previously, but some areas were skipped over. Its amazing what a fresh coat of satin black will do.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #92
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I tried several different solvents trying to remove the factory undercoating on the firewall. All I managed to do was make thin spots in the paint. That stuff is rock hard and refused to budge. I was left with two options based on the time I have available. I could strip everything from the firewall and grind it smooth, then repaint.

The other option was to mask a line up high and blend it in with fresh material. It became a matter of logistics at this point. I simply don't have enough time to strip the firewall and make my deadline. We cut a nice line and blasted it with Dupli-Color quick drying paintable coating. The results are better than I expected.

After dinner we masked some more ad started the first round of paint on the engine. Once again, time constraints did not allow me to pull the motor. It will not be easy, but I will get a complete color change before Im done.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-31-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:33 PM   #93
LEEVON

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. I'm hoping I haven't got in to deep with not enough time.

Did you find the matching dye in spray cans or have it mixed up?
I had it mixed at a paint/body supply shop. If I recall correctly they actually had a book that had the right color sample. I have also brought in an interior piece and mixed to match before. Mahogany is weird though, the color fades and some parts are much more brown, others red.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:11 PM   #94
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
I had it mixed at a paint/body supply shop. If I recall correctly they actually had a book that had the right color sample. I have also brought in an interior piece and mixed to match before. Mahogany is weird though, the color fades and some parts are much more brown, others red.
Thanks Leevon, its good to know they have the formula on file.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-31-2016, 09:19 PM   #95
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Today was nowhere near as productive as it needed to be. Unfortunately I was on call, and spent most of the day running service calls.

I did manage to get some more color laid down on the firewall and motor. I will say that the so called "paintable" undercoat I used wasn't being so paintable. I used two cans of Duplicolor Frost White, and it sucked it right up. After several coats with ample dry time, it was still rather yellow. I let it cure while I had dinner, and blasted it with another round of white. Unless it bleeds through again, I think I have accomplished getting some color on the top of the firewall.

As you can tell from all the over-spray, I wasn't able to mask the lower half off. Tape just would not stick, so I gave up an let it blow. I will come back and re-coat below the seam with undercoating once the white has cured.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-31-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:52 PM   #96
DblTrbl

You're so close to just pulling the engine...all of the complicated stuff is already off. It almost seems like leaving it in will result in the inefficiency of having to work around it, you might as well pull it so you have access to everything without a fight.

Instagram: lofab77
DblTrbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:02 PM   #97
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblTrbl View Post
You're so close to just pulling the engine...all of the complicated stuff is already off. It almost seems like leaving it in will result in the inefficiency of having to work around it, you might as well pull it so you have access to everything without a fight.
I can "almost" agree, but not quite. The same goes for the front clip. I'm so close I may as well pull that too. The problem is my OCD kicks in and wont allow my to stop. I will go just a bit further since I'm already there, and the snowball affect kicks in.

I have to have this ready for Lonestar Throwdown on February 26-28. That gives me just three weekends to be ready, and its going to be a thrash to get it done. I need two full days to polish and detail once I have it back together and running.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-01-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #98
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

looks great buddy

87-Silverado Static Drop 5/7" Raceline Explosion 5 22X8.5 (F) 22X10 (R)
hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
original-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #99
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by original-71 View Post
looks great buddy
Thanks Hector, just trying to catch up to your Silverado.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #100
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Late nights at work are making progress a challenge. My target date is approaching rapidly, so I will have to determine what takes priority and can be accomplished before the Lonestar Throwdown debut.

The good news is Greg Stroik at Precision Replacement Parts sent me some update pics yesterday. He has my vent window assemblies completely restored, and they have shipped out.

Greg kept in constant communication on the progress. He contacted me with concerns about removing the window tint before proceeding. We agreed that the tint was poorly cut around the vent handles, and it would look better if replaced. Consequently he is shipping the assemblies with out the new handles installed. Thats the kind of attention to details that PRP brings to the table.

To get a quote on having your vent windows restored, or any of your trim parts contact Precision Replacement Parts at 1-800-367-8241 or find them here on the Forum as a Vendor- Precision Parts
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-03-2016 at 11:03 AM.