The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2021, 12:50 AM   #1
dzbowtie

Surprise pistons

So, currently in the middle of a 355 roller cam build. The base of the build is cleaned up 638 block, 30 over. The deck was skimmed enough to make for a good gasket seal, but not too far from standard 0.025 deck. I bought a balanced rotating assembly with a specific build in mind. I wanted good torque engine with about 9.5:1 compression roughly and reliable. I have since put the short block together and am working on the top end. I’m using fresh Vortec heads with a Comp xr270hr (.495/.502 - 218/224).
The problem comes into play when I noticed my piston to deck height was more than expected. While trying to figure out why, I noticed My rotating assembly did not come with the advertised pistons, but a set of Rebuilder pistons (6cc 4 valve relief) with a shorter compression height. I’m measuring approx 0.038 in the hole. The frustration of this issue is another story, but I’m stuck with what I have.
With this set up (everything new internally), this roller cam, and the vortec’s set to match this cam, what would be your recommendations for a gasket thickness? This build is a street engine, but I’m concerned now for my compression and quench numbers. I would greatly appreciate any advice with the exception of a complete tear down and piston swap.