The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2021, 08:35 AM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Potable drinking water and water for orchards and gardens

The Question of how much do you have and how much for how long.

It is important that the people of Oregon realize the true sources of plans to divert water outside their state boundaries No public water official in California is advocating the scheme to divert the waters of the Columbia River or Snake rivers to California . This was a claim by James H Howard general council for the metropolitan water district of California to the Salem Capitol Journal this week. California's only interest in water sources outside the state is in the Colorado River . Any protest against the the diversion of Oregon water into California should be directed toward the bureau of reclamation ..
This was stated in the Rainier Oregon Newspaper June 1950

California is needing water right now and has been for many years.. I strongly believe that what California disputed as a false claim 70 some years ago is about to become talked about again soon .as reality ..

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  9.3 KB
Old 06-11-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Re: Potable drinking water and water for orchards and gardens

California is broken!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:28 AM   #3
67C10Step

Does a drop of the Colorado River even make it to the gulf anymore? I figured it was sucked dry way upstream by now.

Been many a battle and war fought over water. Guess I am living in a dream world since I've never lived where it is a long term issue. Don't think my mentality would ever let me live somewhere water would be an issue. The majority of folks that live in Las Vegas and many places in California don't know how easily their lives could change in a very short amount of time. But then again, my first trip to New Orleans was for a job interview and I could not bring myself to live below sea level either. Guess I am must a fraidy cat.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
kwmech

Talk about desalination plants has been going on for way over 50 years up and down the west coast. So Cal will need about 3-4 of them at the minimum. There needs to be a moratorium on building in the Southern deserts---will they do it??--nope-- gotta have the development for taxes. It is a vicious cycle that never gets addressed and kicked down the road. You want extra water for gardens, look into re-plumbing your house for the grey water or installing a cistern or 2
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:57 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I was born & raised in NW Oregon. There has been talk of California trying to divert Columbia River water as far back as I can remember, and probably much longer. I have always been glad that such efforts (if they actually existed) have been unsuccessful...... so far.

Eventually, SoCal will need to take a serious look at desalination. The Pacific won't dry up any time soon....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:42 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

The fact that most rainfall in the northern portion of California runs into the ocean pretty much precludes us raiding Oregon for water. We have enough trouble even scaring up legislation for money to get pipelines just running from northern to southern California!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:18 PM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61_FL_Apache View Post
California is broken!
Best $1 of government $12 has bought.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:39 PM   #8
richards72chevy

Unfortunately the drought isn't getting any better.Is growing food a waste of water?No I don't think it is.Is building a bunch of million dollar homes with huge pools and lush green lawn's and have green golf courses near by bad?No but it is a waste of water.Not to mention the saudi's are growing hay in Arizona and depleting tons of water just to ship hay back over seas.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:51 PM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richards72chevy View Post
Unfortunately the drought isn't getting any better.Is growing food a waste of water?No I don't think it is.Is building a bunch of million dollar homes with huge pools and lush green lawn's and have green golf courses near by bad?No but it is a waste of water.Not to mention the saudi's are growing hay in Arizona and depleting tons of water just to ship hay back over seas.
I had to go look that up, it seemed so crazy. Turns out that the United Arab Emirates are doing it, too! I don't know how much water is in dry hay, but that's still depleting out water table. Crazy business.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote