The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
superlifted

form and function

I have a 1971 K/5 thats is in some rough shape. I want to make a functional and comfortable off road rig. . I want to make it a weekend warrior that can be a daily driver. I know alot of you have built many rigs and know what items I need and where I can them to make my UGLY BETTY a formitable 4x4. The trucks drive train is fresh. 355 rebuilt th350 rebuilt, np 205 has twin sticks, the alxes are 3/4 ton danna 44 front with 14 bolt full floater rear with disc conversion( no emergency brake.) I have 35 inch toyos open countrys and am unsure of measuring the lift that it came with. I do know it is not enough due to fender rub. It also has a ready to BOLT IN FAMILY STYLE roll cage that im selling to buy something more custum fit . I am replacing the stock seats with jeep style off road seats that allow for 4 or 5 point harnesses. I I think I have a good start but want to make sure I buy the right stuff the first time thru i.e shocks, rotors, lift, driveshafts, fuel tanks, lights, replacement grill, off road bumper, winch mounts, blazer top, soft tops. I paln on stripping her down to the rails and media blasting everything and covering it up with under coating and paint. I would appreciate any tips for any of this. I have never done paint and body work and need some guidance on that as well. I would appreciate any hint, tips and suggestions. Thanks for reading my post and hope to hear back soon.
superlifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Burt4x4

Re: form and function

I would get some suspension seats for comfort and wheel the bageezes out of it as is...then as you break things, research that busted part and upgrade as needed...in a few years you will have a good rig that can survive your wheeling adventures....really hard to have a one size fits all comment or direction...it all boils down to what your going to REALLY be doing with the rig...mud, rocks, camping,,,gettin beer....hehehehe