The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
srvivor71

Lift Kit Advice Needed

I want to raise my stock 71 GMC K1500 4x4 - 2" in the front and 3 in the back. Since the back is slightly low, this will bring the truck about level, 2" higher than now. It's currently got leaf springs front and rear. I found this on Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tf...k/applications It's affordable and has the perfect amount of additional height.

Before I pull the trigger on this, I would like to hear from anyone with any advice on this. If you know whether or not this is a good product, if this is easy or difficult to install (without a lift) and whether or not I can expect to get instructions or just a pile of parts. Any information you can offer will be appreciated! Thanks
srvivor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Lift Kit Advice Needed

I've never dealt with Summit for truck stuff because they are a car place that only accommodates trucks since they have become an undeniable money-maker. You can buy this kit directly from Tuff Country for less. They distribute under the name Suspension Connection and here is the current cost on that kit. Shipping may make a difference,but the price for the kit itself is cheaper:
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...on/126103.html

Tuff Country makes high quality lift kits and will provide you with very good instructions. It's as easy as removing shocks,u-bolts and spring eye bolts,and drag link to steering arm end,then reinstalling. How difficult depends on how stubborn the bolts will be. Definitely pre-soak with PB Blaster and have a breaker bar handy. The worse case scenario is you may need cut-off wheel on a mini-grinder. You will probably need to make adjustment on your drag link (lengthen) to bring the steering wheel back to center with the wheels straight

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-29-2012 at 06:40 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
srvivor71

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I've never dealt with Summit for truck stuff because they are a car place that only accommodates trucks since they have become an undeniable money-maker. You can buy this kit directly from Tuff Country for less. They distribute under the name Suspension Connection and here is the current cost on that kit. Shipping may make a difference,but the price for the kit itself is cheaper:
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...on/126103.html

Tuff Country makes high quality lift kits and will provide you with very good instructions. It's as easy as removing shocks,u-bolts and spring eye bolts,and drag link to steering arm end,then reinstalling. How difficult depends on how stubborn the bolts will be. Definitely pre-soak with PB Blaster and have a breaker bar handy. The worse case scenario is you may need cut-off wheel on a mini-grinder. You will probably need to make adjustment on your drag link (lengthen) to bring the steering wheel back to center with the wheels straight
Thanks Special K! Great information - and you saved me a bundle. Glad to hear what you say about the quality and instructions. Do you know if the leaf springs that come with the kit are to replace mine or to be in addition to them? I'm asking because my current springs look beefier than the ones in the kit.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
sdailey
The Few, The Proud

The springs in the kit will replace your factory ones. Suspension Connection is a good company. I bought my 4" Tuff Country lift from them. Like Tim stated installation is fairly simple and straight forward.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
Psycho71

Just make sure the existing front springs aren't sagging while estimating the measurements/lift height. If the fronts are sagging, say 1", and you put 3" spring on it, then your net lift from where it is now will be 4". Since the kit you link uses blocks in the rear (same springs), the net lift in the rear will be whatever height the block is.

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:20 AM   #6
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

You can do it without a lift -- I installed mine by myself with basic hand tools in my carport (concrete slab). I used Skyjacker Softride 2.5" front springs and have been very happy with them, and I have also heard very good things about Tuff Country. I didn't use the rear blocks but I have some pretty stout rear springs with AALs & overloads.

The only thing I had to change was the front shocks (I see the Summit kit comes with new shocks). Nothing else needed changing -- steering wheel stayed straight and brake lines are plenty long enough. For the record, stock rear shocks are the correct fit, the right length compressed and extended, to use on the front with 2" to 2.5" front springs.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
76k10

I know everyone has said these lift kits are easy to put on, but they are definitely easier said than done. Allow yourself several days and prepare to say a lot of cuss words. You are dealing with a lot of heavy components that have to be positioned exactly right, which takes time and effort.
76k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
69GWC

I buy alot of stuff from Summit they are really good to deal with and normally have great prices on things.
I have a 2.5" Skyjacker lift as well truck rides much better then before in the front anyway. I might buy the rear springs this summer and take the blocks out. I also bought all new Skyjacker shocks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
snj8198

This is a 2" Tuff Country EZ ride kit with front and rear springs and an additional 1" block in rear to level it out. Just to get you an idea of what it looks like.

Name:  truck pics 004.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  truck pics 006.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  56.6 KB
Old 12-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76k10 View Post
I know everyone has said these lift kits are easy to put on, but they are definitely easier said than done. Allow yourself several days and prepare to say a lot of cuss words. You are dealing with a lot of heavy components that have to be positioned exactly right, which takes time and effort.
I didn't mean to imply it's as easy as changing oil. It's been years since I did mine but I don't think it took more than a couple days, and I'm no mechanic -- I mostly do just routine maintenance & repairs. That's for front only, I did the rear spring work separately. I do have jack stands, a floor jack, a couple bottle jacks, and a creeper.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 12-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
srvivor71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho71 View Post
Just make sure the existing front springs aren't sagging while estimating the measurements/lift height. If the fronts are sagging, say 1", and you put 3" spring on it, then your net lift from where it is now will be 4". Since the kit you link uses blocks in the rear (same springs), the net lift in the rear will be whatever height the block is.
How can I check to see if my front springs are sagging? I think they might be because they bow up instead of down. Even with this though, the front is currently about an inch higher than the back.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvivor71 View Post
How can I check to see if my front springs are sagging?
Measure the gap between the bump stops and the spring anchor plates. I had 7/8" with my sagging OEM springs, and 3 3/4" with the new 2.5" Softrides.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 12-31-2012, 01:13 AM   #13
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

The factory front springs have a negative arch.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
Psycho71

Yeah, factory springs can be negative arched. The check for sagging springs, I would find someone with the factory assembly manual for that vehicle, then compare some simple measurements like headlight and taillight height. This will be an indicator that something is out of whack, be it springs sagging or body mounts collapsed.

Not trying to confuse the process with all of this. It would just suck to change a bunch of stuff on your truck and not be where you want to when you finish. The easy solution, use a lift kit that replaces the front and rear springs. Eliminate them, and you take sagging factory springs out of the equation.

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
srvivor71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GWC View Post
I buy alot of stuff from Summit they are really good to deal with and normally have great prices on things.
I have a 2.5" Skyjacker lift as well truck rides much better then before in the front anyway. I might buy the rear springs this summer and take the blocks out. I also bought all new Skyjacker shocks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Beautiful truck! Love the stance. We have the same tire size so I hope to get the same results.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #16
srvivor71

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj8198 View Post
This is a 2" Tuff Country EZ ride kit with front and rear springs and an additional 1" block in rear to level it out. Just to get you an idea of what it looks like.

Attachment 1033161

Attachment 1033162
Great stance! I hope mine comes out as good...
Old 01-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
john@thepier

Not bad mouthin nobody here but the other day I recieved my brandnew Tuffcountry lift kit, here in the pictures you can see what I recieved. I sent it back and am sticking to Skyjacker from now on since I have had four of their kits in the past and they have 10X better fit and finish to their product than the earlier mentioned namebrand that I thought I'd try since I read so much good about them. I can say this good for who I purchased the Tuffcountrys from (Suspension conection) is that they made full restitution to me when I complained about the fit and finish and asked for a refund. I'll post up Skyjackers pics when they hit the porch so you can see what I'm talking about. John
Attached Images

john@thepier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #18
Redcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by john@thepier View Post
Not bad mouthin nobody here but the other day I recieved my brandnew Tuffcountry lift kit, here in the pictures you can see what I recieved. I sent it back and am sticking to Skyjacker from now on since I have had four of their kits in the past and they have 10X better fit and finish to their product than the earlier mentioned namebrand that I thought I'd try since I read so much good about them. I can say this good for who I purchased the Tuffcountrys from (Suspension conection) is that they made full restitution to me when I complained about the fit and finish and asked for a refund. I'll post up Skyjackers pics when they hit the porch so you can see what I'm talking about. John
I'm just not seeing what is so horrible in those pictures...
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
76k10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcap View Post
I'm just not seeing what is so horrible in those pictures...
Only thing I see is that it looks like they were packaged when the paint was still wet. When I received my Tuff Country springs they had a little of that same problem. However, I knew mine were about to receive a permanent mud coating so it didn't bother me.
76k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #20
srvivor71

Quote:
Originally Posted by john@thepier View Post
I guess that finish does look pretty rough, especially if you've got a show quality truck. After seeing your post, I looked at the Skyjacker kits but they are just too much for my budget. I'm not that particular and wouldn't mind doing a bit of touch-up painting if it is needed. Thanks to all the advice in this thread, I have gone ahead ordered my (Tuff Country) kit from Suspension Connection. Ordering was great - they were very helpful. I'll repost after it arrives and let you know how it looks.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #21
john@thepier

Actually if you go to 4wheelonline their Skyjacker kits are less expensive than Suspensionconections Tuffcountry kits. I purchased both kits without shocks and 4wheelonline is $28 dollars cheaper for Skyjacker 4" front and rears with u-bolts.
john@thepier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #22
Brewski*

I put a brand new 4" SkyJacker softride full spring kit on my 3/4ton 71 it looked great but was too soft for the windy road I live down and bouncy when I hit bumps on the gravel. The truck had way too much sway so I tried different shocks Pro Comp, Rancho both adjustable but got only minimal better ride.. . I think a 2.5" would be better but would go with the Tuff Country if I did. They are supposed to ride stiffer which is what was needed.
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #23
69GWC

Wonder if a sway bar would help you the most, unless you just want to drop down in height.
Mine does have some body roll to it but its better then it was with my front stock springs that were shot.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #24
Brewski*

I have a decent ride with my stock springs. I had them powdercoated and run Edlebrock IAS Shocks. Great ride for the windy road and no sway problems. I had sway problems on my stock height suburban but put on a Helwig sway bar and it is fine. When I finish the truck I may go with a 2.5" full spring lift as I have a swaybar and crossmember from a 73+ unit that will be going on also. The Edlebrock shocks are AMAZING~!
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:07 AM   #25
kevmcrae

I replaced a 4 inch Rough country with 6 inch Skyjacker Softride last year. SO much better ride. I installed airbags on the back to get rid of the sag and to help when I tow my boat. They actually got rid of the sway I was encountering so now I don't need a anti-sway bar.
kevmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote