The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
ooimpalaoo

70 c10 4x4 manual 3inch body lift

im building a 70 c10 the truck came with a 3 inch body lift only half installed. i ran into a problem the truck is a manual and im guessing i dont have all the parts for the lift.. the question is what do i do with the clutch pivot point? any pics would be a very great help.. thanx for all the help.

Last edited by ooimpalaoo; 01-11-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: spelling
ooimpalaoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: 70 c10 4x4 manual 3inch body lift

A 3 inch body life is A lot. None of the linkages are going to work or line up. I would personally not run that much body lift. You will need to extend everything that connects between the body and frame. Brake lines,steering column,linkages etc etc etc all have to be checked and possibly extended.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
ooimpalaoo

this is the last thing to extend on this lift. steering shaft,brake lines,blocks,the only thing left is this clutch pivot point from tha frame to the motor if anyone here has this done could you please post a pic. thanx again
Old 01-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
cableguy0

Most likely your going to have to cut the linkage rod in half, extend it and weld it back together. I don't know of any kits to make it work. The body lift kits are generally just the lift not the rest of the stuff needed to make it work.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:29 AM   #5
ooimpalaoo

cmon just one pic ..please
Old 01-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

3" is pretty much the standard for bodylift kits. On these older trucks the kit is pretty much just the blocks themselves along with new bolts for the cab, along with carriage bolts w/nuts for the bed. The hardware pack also contains an "extension rod". It is a simple 3" long piece of steel rod, about 5/16" or so. It works for both automatics or manuals. You simply saw the clutch rod that goes between the pedal and the bell-crank on the frame and weld the extension in the middle. (Same thing with the shift linkage in automatics).
I always did it by clamping all three pieces to a length of angle iron. This keeps them straight and makes it easier to keep the ends aligned. A couple of tacks and then remove it to fully weld the rod.
The only other thing in most of the kits is a short piece of tubing that is used to extend the fuel filler hose. A razorknife through the hose and a couple of clamps and that is done.
The brakelines, wiring and other connections from the body to the frame will have enough slack.
The only other consideration is the fan shroud. Some of the early trucks just had a glorified hand guard, the later ones get more involved. The "kits" instructions usually tell you to just remove the lower half......not the best idea. It can get you into overheating problems. A little fabrication goes a long way here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:07 AM   #7
ooimpalaoo

they have a piece welded in but the clutch pedal stays on the floor..well not right on the floor but it wont spring all the way back up..any ideas ill post a few pics tomorrow
Old 01-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
ooimpalaoo

ok so here are a few pics of what im dealing with...did the PO weld a 3" plate in the wrong spot? look at the angle on the pivot point from motor to frame..what is going on here.the clutch pedel wont come back up. olmost but no..plaese help
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Yeah, he extended the wrong part. He has increased the leverage of the bellcrank by extending it. This makes the pedal travel and clutch fork ratio way out of wack.
The rod that goes between the clutch pedal and the bellcrank is what you need to extend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #10
ooimpalaoo

thanx now can you tell me what part that is lol sorry it sounds to me that your talking about the lowest rod? the one going to the fork/?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #11
ooimpalaoo

or is it the first one that comes from the fire wall? sorry never done this. and thanx. this site has helped me out lots from my bagged lowrider to my 4x4. thank you all
Old 01-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #12
68panelman

Yes, the rod coming through the firewall. I had a 72 k-20 with a 3" body lift. That was the first thing to go when I bought that truck.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #13
ooimpalaoo

thanx alot.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #14
68panelman

Was not trying to bash your truck, But I found that body lifts are nothing but a headache, and most often the installer end up hacking the crap out of everything right down to the extending of the taillight/engine/cab harness's.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote