The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
Livemeyer

Left side tail light bracket

I have the stainless tail light brackets, including the one on the left side that has the license plate mount. I am considering moving my license plate in to the center of the roll pan, but before I do, I went to all the usual places to buy a left bracket sans license plate mount. Chevs of the 40's, Brothers, LMC truck, eBay and a handful of others only selling the left bracket with license mount. I know I can drill out the rivets that hold the license mount on to the bracket, but then I'm left with two holes that will likely start to show rust.

Any place that sells the left bracket without license plate mount?
Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Left side tail light bracket

Stainless??...rust?....got a pic of it?...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Stainless??...rust?....got a pic of it?...
I didn't say I had done this yet. And if it doesn't rust, I'd certainly be pleased, but drilling holes in it is certainly not the look I'm going for. These all look the same, so I don't need to go photograph the one on my truck. From Brother's Trucks: https://www.brotherstrucks.com/47-53...tinfo/TLBC300/
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
Livemeyer

Full story:

After completing full exhaust beginning of July, I went to Goodguys show in Puyallup end of July and saw that some trucks were using the 54-55 bumper, which has the dip in the middle. I liked that look and ordered one. Should have bought one before the exhaust, but that's how things happen. I plan to remount the bumper closer to the body of the truck, and a little lower, to tuck under the exhaust. Will also need to move the tips in a couple inches to match the contour of the bumper. Mounting the license plate in the middle will finish the look.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #5
mr48chev

Stainless will rust if it comes in contact with mild steel in the spots where the mild steel touches it such as when you drill it or hit it with a wire brush.

It's danged if I do and danged if I don't you could use a second right hand bracket but you would still have to cut the rivets and flip it over and refasten it.

It would be so simple for manufactures to do that at the factory and offer a left side no plate bracket it makes you wonder why no one does.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
mr48chev

Rather spendy in comparison but Carolina customs makes some nifty brackets to mount taillights on AD trucks and some interesting LED park lights that are hidden except when they are on.
http://www.carolinacustom.com/pages/...t_brackets.jsp

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
mr48chev

What about flipping the bumper, getting rid of the "I drive a semi" lights and raising the bumper up so it is just an inch or so below the tailgate and tucked in and putting the plate between the pipes?

Old 08-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Could you not just make a couple of simple brackets like you need?...stainless or aluminum....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #9
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
What about flipping the bumper, getting rid of the "I drive a semi" lights and raising the bumper up so it is just an inch or so below the tailgate and tucked in and putting the plate between the pipes?
Yeah, about that...lights were a personal choice, and I get it if some people don't like them. I had a good friend come over the other day, I helped him load itunes onto his laptop, showed him how to sync with an old ipod, even took him to the store and helped him find a wireless transmitter so he could listen in his car... meanwhile he proceeded to criticize my truck - "what's with those lights? Why do you like those wheels? A razor blade and we can remove the sticker off the doors," the very same graphics I spent over $100 to put on...

I'm not building a stock truck to satisfy anyone. My truck, my personal preferences. Besides, I know if I remove the roll pan with the lights in it, you're going to see a very surface rusted panel behind it. Not going there...

Someday the truck will get a complete frame off, body work and repaint, but not today, I don't have those kinds of funds. So I'm working with what I have.

I do like the look of flipping the brackets and mounting tight to the body, but not today, not this current build.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #10
Livemeyer

Quote:
Rather spendy in comparison but Carolina customs makes some nifty brackets to mount taillights on AD trucks and some interesting LED park lights that are hidden except when they are on.
http://www.carolinacustom.com/pages/...t_brackets.jsp
I saw these on one of the reseller's website. I was trying to visualize how they mounted, and now I do with the link you provided. I like that and push come to shove might go that route if nothing else comes up that I like.

I'm working on moving the plate central now. Will post a pic soon.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:31 PM   #11
mr48chev

Can't tell you what looks right obviously but I'd hate to see the photo of the damage after you hang that bumper up on something with it hanging down below the pipes.

It would be too simple to cut a couple of slots in that panel and slip the brackets in to the frame where they belong and put the plate on the panel with the pipes coming out under the bumper.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #12
Livemeyer

Quote:
Can't tell you what looks right obviously but I'd hate to see the photo of the damage after you hang that bumper up on something with it hanging down below the pipes.

It would be too simple to cut a couple of slots in that panel and slip the brackets in to the frame where they belong and put the plate on the panel with the pipes coming out under the bumper.
You know, I hadn't really thought about the bumper being too low and hanging up on something, but here's some new photos after I made the change so I welcome your input.

I moved the plate to the middle and removed the lp bracket from the left tail light mount. I moved the tail pipes in but the left side still needs to come in a little more. I mounted the bumper with just one bolt each side, used the existing bolt holes in the frame, used the front hole in frame with rear mount hole on the bumper bracket, and it is too far in. I will need to drill a new hole about 2 inches farther out. Then I have to decide if I'm going to weld a piece of steel onto the lower part of the frame for the rear mount hole.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #13
mr48chev

I found this one in my Vintiques Nationals photos. All you would have to do is rework the ends of the exhaust a bit and done.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #14
Livemeyer

Quote:
I found this one in my Vintiques Nationals photos. All you would have to do is rework the ends of the exhaust a bit and done.
That's really nice looking. Except, I don't see where the exhaust exits. Maybe it's the photo size, or maybe I don't know where to look.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:46 PM   #15
joedoh

I havent ever seen stainless light brackets, only chrome steel. not saying they dont exist, just saying what I have seen.

the 47-53 bracket is shaped the way it is to put the plate behind the bed. when I use a different style plate mounting, I usually cut my own brackets that mount behind the stake pocket and pull the lights roughly flush with the tailgate and lower than with the plate style brackets. its a subtle change and I like it.

here is one I did on a 41 (same taillight)

in some cases I switch to the stainless 54-55 taillights that dont have a downward facing tag light, they are round and the LED versions are like mini suns in terms of brightness. those also mount similar to the one I show above, straight out and from behind the stake pocket instead of aft of it.

in those cases I will cut my own, but they sell them very cheaply in chrome. it is likely you could drill the old rectangle light mounting holes in the 54-55 bracket.

if it were me I would use the 54-55 lights. I love the look of the round taillight on these trucks, I like the older rectangle lights too but I feel they look a little silly without the tag mount. just my opinion worth what it cost.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:07 PM   #16
Livemeyer

joedoh I hear what you're saying but I do wish your pictures were better. The side profiles make it really hard to see. I think my truck originally had the 54-55 lights and mounts, but I prefer the rectangular style. In particular, I really wanted blue dots. I had them on my first Chevelle back in the '80's. I have seen the new round ones that are LEDs and they look really nice. If I was going to change from the rectangular ones with blue dots then that would be my next choice. FYI I did drill out the rivets, whatever they were, chrome steel or stainless they were very solid and difficult to drill out. I was able to get them drilled out without damaging the bracket, and since I can't seem to buy a replacement bracket that doesn't have the license plate mount, I will just get a couple of stainless bolts and cap nuts and call it good.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:18 PM   #17
Livemeyer

Quote:
I took another look at that photo and I can see that the roll pan is not the factory one and like mine it sits lower, and then mates up with or is integral to the filler panel out to the bumper. That's really well done. I'd love to know whose truck this is so I could ask if the bumper was mounted lower and how it was accomplished.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:24 PM   #18
joedoh

everyone says use the forum to host pictures but even if you upload a large picture it gets resized to needing your readers.

here is a better shot of the 41.

I pulled the lights in tight to the bed and the plate mount under the bed. it would still barely work with a rear bumper but on the 41 it works fine without

here is a better shot of the 49 GMC lights

I did a center plate mount to the 41 bumper I used on the rear.

here is another 41 I did with 54-55 lights and the lower tag bracket

I have more but I think that gives the gist of it.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #19
Livemeyer

With your '49 I really like the look of your round lights. A personal preference for me, the bumpers on these trucks stick out too far, so I want mine to tuck closer. I'd really prefer the bumpers to be a little shorter at the ends and curve inward a bit more. but that's a mod a professional would need to make.

As for how the license plate tucks under the bed with the lights close to and behind the stake pocket, I like that look too and it works on that truck. I tried that originally on my truck but the rollpan with the lights is about 3" lower and blocked the license so it wouldn't work in my situation. Besides, to do that meant putting the mount at the front side of the stake instead of the rear, which I preferred, but it wouldn't match with the right side being mounted at the rear side of the stake, and again, the LP mounting spot didn't work.

Thanks for the photos.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #20
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livemeyer View Post
I took another look at that photo and I can see that the roll pan is not the factory one and like mine it sits lower, and then mates up with or is integral to the filler panel out to the bumper. That's really well done. I'd love to know whose truck this is so I could ask if the bumper was mounted lower and how it was accomplished.
No idea of who it belongs to. It shows up at the Vintiques NW Nationals every year and parks with the same group of cars every year in the same area/spot.

He may be from the west side as I didn't recognize any of the rigs with the truck in the group.

Looking at joedoe's photos I think I'd try bolting it up with stock brackets or try bolting a stock bracket on to see how close it is.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #21
Livemeyer

A day after moving the plate center, working to adjust the exhaust tips, etc., I received my truck's namesake plates. I worked all afternoon to get the exhaust tips positioned just right, and also the bumper. Could it be better? Yes, I suppose so, if I went through the trouble to weld steel stock to the frame so the bumper could mount lower and thus straighter/flatter. But I'm okay with this look, for now. It's 90% how I envisioned.
Attached Images