The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2022, 12:46 PM   #1
hotrodbones

Squarebody 6l90E tunnel clearance.

Wanted to share an aspect of my LS swap with a 6l90 trans in my Squarebody. Before I started this swap I searched a few forums about trans tunnel clearance but didnt find much info so here is my contribution for any one else questioning the fitment.

I picked up a very low mileage 6.0 LS and 6l90E out of an Isuzu NPR (box truck). I was not sure about trans tunnel clearance with suck a large transmission. I pulled the body for the swap and set the motor and trans height to make sure the trans pan didnt sit much lower than the frame rails. I fabricated my own crossmember to get the height right where I wanted. Right now the trans pan is about 3/4" below the frame rails because of the heavy duty deep pan. If I swap for a 6l80 pan it will sit just above the bottom of the rails.

When I lowered the body back onto the chassis I found there was no where near enough room under the factory tunnel. I made a new tunnel and wanted the floor to be as flat as possible so when my daughter to place her feet when she rides in the middle.

Maybe I should create yet another LS swap/Build post.
Attached Images

Last edited by hotrodbones; 07-13-2022 at 01:24 PM.
hotrodbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 12:54 PM   #2
hotrodbones

Re: Squarebody 6l90E tunnel clearence.

Pics continue
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2022, 11:13 PM   #3
Accelo

Re: Squarebody 6l90E tunnel clearance.

I'm loving the build. I have a close copy of your cross member. Came from Ebay. Nice custom build on the cross-member. I was also wondering how I would get one of the spiffy cross flow installed.
Look like you made it work where I couldn't figure it out.

I am not up on Square bodies but it looks like they carried over the large and small tunnels to the next gen. Is that true?
Your body mounts look like better copies than what I could find. I'm betting Square bodies may have fit better than what I used. Shouild have looked into it. Didn't think of it till now.
Or are they OEM mounts? I am a fan of LSX orange motors. Awesome build.
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:52 AM   #4
hotrodbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I'm loving the build. I have a close copy of your cross member. Came from Ebay. Nice custom build on the cross-member. I was also wondering how I would get one of the spiffy cross flow installed.
Look like you made it work where I couldn't figure it out.

I am not up on Square bodies but it looks like they carried over the large and small tunnels to the next gen. Is that true?
Your body mounts look like better copies than what I could find. I'm betting Square bodies may have fit better than what I used. Shouild have looked into it. Didn't think of it till now.
Or are they OEM mounts? I am a fan of LSX orange motors. Awesome build.
Cheers.
Thanks. The Exhaust X-Pipe was purchased from Speedway Motors, not the best quality but I made it work.

I am not sure if there are different tunnels on the Squarebodys. Mine is an 82 that I believe might have been a manual truck.

My body mounts are from Energy Suspension.
Old 07-15-2022, 10:08 PM   #5
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

a high hump floor panel will be the ticket if you want a stock carpet to fit.

6l80e is the same way.

not sure why aftermarket doesn't make them, need to source them from donors
clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote