The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2022, 03:51 PM   #1
kglowacky

460E trans dipstick

Well need some knowledge. Trying to dress up my LS1 with an engine cover and it seems the LS1 I have is out of a 2001 Camero and the cover is off a 2004 CTS, the dipstick on the Camero comes up and sticks up over the intake and will not allow the cover to fit correctly on the engine. I assume the CTS and other LS1s have a shorter dipstick. Does anyone know what dipstick I should look for to buy that stops at the back of the motor. I was thinking of cutting mine down as last resort but there may be a easier way. I know never cheaper. Also is a 700r trans dipstick the same.

I see where I can go with an aftermarket flexible unit but wanted to see if I can use a solid steel OEM type.

Just realized all CTS LS1s were standard. Explains how they got around this issue.

Last edited by kglowacky; 08-06-2022 at 10:44 PM.
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 04:44 PM   #2
LS short box

Re: 460E trans dipstick

On 68 C10 LS/4L60E swap I cut down a Transdapt universal 4L60E dip stick. It fit well but too sticking up behind the engine. I measured the amount I want to shorten it and cut it off the top. I cut the same amount off the dip stick and remarked the end of the stick for full and add marks.
Here's a pic.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 04:48 PM   #3
LS short box

I thought I had a pic but the coil cover hides it. Sorry.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:42 PM   #4
kglowacky

that's my back up plan if I don't find a short factory one. my concern is the current dip stick tube I have has more than a couple bens in it so measuring the correct amount to cut off the stick could be tricky, It looks like the range on the stick for factory specs is about a quarter of an inch, which doesn't leave much room for error. but I think I can measure the distance on the original unit from the bottom of the tube to the bottom of the stick and use that measurement to cut to the correct dept.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:51 PM   #5
LS short box

I don't think the bends matter. If you cut same off the stick as you cut off the top of the tube you should be fine.
If you want to double check drop the trans pan and measure the stick the amount it sticks out of the trans case before you cut the tube. Then match that measurement after you cut the tube.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:36 PM   #6
Accelo

If you cut two inches off the tube shorten the stick by the same. You will be fine.
Use a tubing cutter, works great on the straight sections anyways.
The fluid level is exactly at the pan gasket if you were to pull the pan and look.
I just used the Silverado tube and gauge. Worked fine on my truck. Sticks up some but it's easy to check and fill. As a bonuses they are easy to find. Just like the factory designed it.
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:03 PM   #7
kglowacky

decided to modify my current one. removed it measured the stick distance from end of tube to end of stick. Mine was 7/8 of an inch. Cut both made new marks on the stick using my band saw. reinstalled all good.
A couple things I learned if you try to put a curl on the end of the stick like factory make sure you close the loop as if not it will get caught on the bottom of the tube and you are in trouble. LOL. I tried but was smart enough to try it before install and realized not to do this. I just went with a rounded bottom.
Next, I did use a tube cutter and it cut perfectly. The only thing was the rubber seal on the top of the stick needed to be ground down just a little so it would slide into the tube. My guess is the factory tube is slightly enlarged on the end/

Finally, the biggest challenge was self-inflicted. LOL when I did the LS1swap I used a lot of wire ties on the harness to the dipstick tube and with the small amount of room between the firewall and motor it was not easy getting to them to cut off and with it being 103 in Houston today on my back my language was not good.

Well, that's it thanks for everyone's help I am on to modifying my CTS cover to fit my Camero LS1.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:22 PM   #8
Accelo

I have the Camaro LS1 in my truck also.
I used the Corvette cover for the motor!
Every motor is out of a Corvette, just ask anyone on Craig's List. LOL.
Mine had 354HP at the rear wheels when everything was said and done.
Headers, LS6 intake and BTR stage II truck cam.
Only thing I would change is I would install a higher stall Torque Converter. Mine is stock for a truck.
Drive-ability is fine but I believe it would help off the line.
It's a great motor and a blast to drive.
I only had some minor issues installing the Corvette covers.
Mostly at the Drive By Cable which the Corvette didn't have.
Drive fast, Don't Die.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:36 PM   #9
kglowacky

Just about got the cover to fit with some cutting. Does anyone think removing the nasty foam glued to the bottom of the cover would be a mistake? not sure what use it serves other than retain heat.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:51 PM   #10
ls1nova71

The foam is for noise suppression, removing it won't hurt anything.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:51 PM   #11
LS short box

On my LS swaps I've used 2800-3000 stall Yank converters and they worked well. They drive like a stocker until you punch it.
Another thing do in ECM is don't lock up TCC until about 45 mph. It keeps from lugging the engine at low speeds.