The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
RWB-713

Talking '67 C10 Shorty Stepside

Combining two trucks with this one, a 67 short/fleet originally will be getting the body panels off my 68 short/step. (68 project to come later!) PIcked the 67 up super cheap a few years ago, no front clip/motor/trans/interior/ beat up bed...the works. Cab was in rough shape down low, couple other spots on the Roof and firewall showin some cancer as well. Gettin that all Fixed up now (not my favortie part by any means) and it's taking a while but got the project back in full swing now. so hopefully I can make some progress! PIctures below are of the truck as it sits now. Going to get some older ones up as soon as i figure out what i did with them....

As it sits:

Frame stripped, cleaned, adn painted (Dust Covered as hell in the pics)
Rust Repair on Cab Started

Early Classic 4/6 drop w/ Relocated shock mounts, Super track bar, Extreme Drop X member, KYB shocks, Disc brakes up front, Fr/Rear Sway bars, Urethane all the way around,All new Steering Parts, New brake lines. Completely Re-built 12 bolt T w/ 4.11 & Powertrax, Stock axles (almost worried i didn't spend the extra cash there...) Completely new Rear Drums, No E-brake.

Planned:

Repair,fill, and smooth cab/firewall (exc door handles)

New fenders, Hood, Core support, wheel wells, bumpers, steps

Using All bed panels and doors from 68 (stripping down all the way), Grille from '67 (still in amazing shape surprisingly)

406, full roller, 12.5:1, AFR heads, Eagle Rotating, Comp valvetrain.(ALL NEW)

TCI TH-400 Tranny (from 68)

Interior--black reworked stock bench, carpet, vinyl doors, dash pad, visors, from 68, Brothers Gauge cluster w/ Autometer Phantoms, Heater removed. All custom sound, lighting, and wiring.

Copperhead style fuel tank w/bed fill, New wood floor

mush more i'm forgetting to list i'm sure...
Attached Images

RWB-713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
RWB-713

Exclamation Re: '67 C10 Shorty Stepside

Here you can see some of the Repair work, and just for the record that spot on the Roof looks like hell... i know, It's a pain in the butt! but we'll get it looking good!
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Portmod7

Re: '67 C10 Shorty Stepside

Daaaaaaang! Looks like you gotta lot of work ahead of you!!! Call me if you need beer!
Portmod7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

well,

your girlfriend or wife will miss you.

doesnt look like a bad start
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
RWB-713

Cool Re: '67 C10 Shorty Stepside

O i need beer! NOW! and no girl to sit around and miss me at the moment... perhaps i'll round one up while i'm in the middle of this and she'll know what she's in for from the get go!

Gotta take a couple week break from it for work right now, but i got the bedsides stripped down and the undercoat removed from them (UGH!) puttin up more pics soon!

and Portmod... where's your build thread huh buddy?

Last edited by RWB-713; 10-14-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
Portmod7

I work on my truck like I snowboard, about once a year. I didn't figure putting up pics once a year would be very productive or interesting. Maybe I'll just post everything at once, when it's done, around 30 years from now...
Portmod7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Portmod7

Now I'm subscribed, I expect more progress notifications than I can stand...
Old 12-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
RWB-713

Thumbs up Re: '67 C10 Shorty Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portmod7 View Post
Now I'm subscribed, I expect more progress notifications than I can stand...
I'll do my best, I'm gonna get some current pics tonight and hopefully post an extensive update soon, since I've made a LITTLE progress since I started this thread, and the project has takin a couple turns away from the original plan, and I feel I'm 2 years older & wiser now ( Relative term.)
Old 12-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
Chev71

I wanna see MORE!!!

Posted via Mobile Device
Chev71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
RWB-713

OK, getting back on track and really excited about it. A little progress has been made since a whopping two years ago when I started this thread, but by no means has two years of progress been made .

I went out tonight, and finished my note list I've been working on the last couple days, which includes my Plan of Action, what parts I'm needing immediately, and some questions I need to answer before X point in the build. So I have a good solid plan going on now, definitely on a much better course than before. Now if I can just push through the hassle of this body work, it should be fairly smooth sailin!

In the two years since I started this thing, my outlook on mechanics, design, and craftsmanship, has changed dramatically, Influenced, in no small part, by Portmod7, and my time spent workin on race cars over the last two years. My skills have definitely made progress in the right direction as well, by no means am I master at this stuff yet, but I'm better than I was for sure. I look at a few of the things I did a couple years ago and just kind of shake my head, lol, some of that stuff may get changed for the better over the course of the rest of this build.

I'll make a couple posts here with a few pics in each and give some info about what's been done, and where it's headed. Like I say, the basic plan of this build had changed a bit (as they all do I think), and since it'll probably keep changing as I go, I'm not going to worry about laying out a complete plan for you guys now. I'll keep you updated with tidbits as we go post by post, and by all means, if any of you guys have any questions, ask away! We all may learn/ discover something in the process!

To start out, here are a few pics of how I got from two years ago to how it sits today. I got a set of Heater delete panels from Nate @ Porterbuilt, they are made great and fit very well (I wouldn't expect any less), And I fabbed the other small patch panels for the firewall and cowl myself. I'm not the best at sheet metal welding, and working with body filler is an art form that I’m SLOWLY understanding. All my patch spots have a little filler along the weld seems, but I've spent hours on pretty much every spot making sure everything is coming out smooth, with as little filler being used as possible, and I’m fairly satisfied with how it's turning out.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
RWB-713

Here's filling the factory fuse panel hole & repairing the rust spot on the cowl, that double wall cowl is a little tricky to work with at that spot, but it came out OK.

And i know it's not glassy smooth, but I'm not really going for that look, I more want it to look like it was made that way orginally, and if you look at the countours & spot welds & wrinkles all over the firewall, that thing is FAR from anywhere near flat. Just keeping the engine compartment as clean as possible is the ultimate goal.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
RWB-713

Couple more of the heater & fuse block area from the inside. I plan on making some inner panels on the firewall to mount all my electronics on, raised a little bit so I can hide all the wiring behind them.

I e-mailed Nate at Porterbuilt the other day about seeing If I could get another heater delete panel, except with an opposite bead roll so I could cover the inside area of the heater core the exact same way I did the outside.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
RWB-713

What's been cut out, and what's left to put back on ( think postiive..think positive....think positive....)
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
Portmod7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB-713 View Post
In the two years since I started this thing, my outlook on mechanics, design, and craftsmanship, has changed dramatically, Influenced, in no small part, by Portmod7, and my time spent workin on race cars over the last two years.
That's scary!

Good progress, just gotta keep plugging away. One small piece of the puzzle every time you get a chance. It'll come together! Gotta keep our Fo*d buddies from ganging up on us...
Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #15
67cheby
67cheby

Great job on all the metal work !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #16
RWB-713

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
Great job on all the metal work !
Thanks! It's been a tricky learning process, gettin better with the welder on sheetmetal as I go. It's not professional by any means, but I am enjoying learning, and i'm as satisfied as I really can be with how it's been going!

Quote:
That's scary!

Good progress, just gotta keep plugging away. One small piece of the puzzle every time you get a chance. It'll come together! Gotta keep our Fo*d buddies from ganging up on us...
Wait... we have more the ONE??? Oh jeez....
Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
Portmod7

Quote:

Wait... we have more the ONE??? Oh jeez....
Henley, Rouse, Josh, Stephen.... It's an epidemic...
Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #18
RWB-713

Quote:
Henley, Rouse, Josh, Stephen.... It's an epidemic...
Ah jeez, I forgot about the RZR crew, crap...we better get on the ball, maybe round up some re-enforcements even.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
~Whitey~

Oh boy does all that look familiar.

I see you smoothed out your firewall, have you decided what system you're going with, any at all or perhaps just heat only? My cab is non-ac, would love to smooth the firewall and put in some under dash heat... not sure aftermarket AC would be in the budget for me, but curious what your plans are?
Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #20
RWB-713

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69swb View Post
Oh boy does all that look familiar.

I see you smoothed out your firewall, have you decided what system you're going with, any at all or perhaps just heat only? My cab is non-ac, would love to smooth the firewall and put in some under dash heat... not sure aftermarket AC would be in the budget for me, but curious what your plans are?
She's gonna be a "Fair Weather" truck, if you will. No Heat/No AC. (No windshield wipers either). I live in the desert really, and it's not too horrible to predict when it'll be decent weather, and it's not gonna be my daily driver (I will drive it as much as possible tho). I'm not the most informed source on alternate HVAC systems at all either, I've seen the vintage air system, and it sure is nice, but i'm sure it carries a hefty price tage too.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
dmw319

Quote:
She's gonna be a "Fair Weather" truck, if you will. No Heat/No AC. (No windshield wipers either). I live in the desert really, and it's not too horrible to predict when it'll be decent weather, and it's not gonna be my daily driver (I will drive it as much as possible tho). I'm not the most informed source on alternate HVAC systems at all either, I've seen the vintage air system, and it sure is nice, but i'm sure it carries a hefty price tage too.
this is pretty much my theory too. im not going to plan on driving my truck unless the weather is nice, so why have heat/ac/wipers/etc? although the only one of those three i DONT have is A/C... but still, I agree with that mentality!

dmw319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #22
Xeen

Thats a good start.
I will be following along and I'm looking forward to all the progress.
I'm pretty sure the Vintage Air systems run in the $1300 range, which isn't too bad for what you are getting IMO.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #23
~Whitey~

Quote:
I hear ya.. I've just rolled my windows down for the last 3 years when things warmed up. I think once I do the sound deadner and insulation.. Not sure I will even need AC.. but dang if it ain't nice on 100+ days... so who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw319 View Post
this is pretty much my theory too. im not going to plan on driving my truck unless the weather is nice, so why have heat/ac/wipers/etc? although the only one of those three i DONT have is A/C... but still, I agree with that mentality!
same here.. Heat, wipers, and a window crank.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #24
RWB-713

On that note, I'm open to suggestions on what to do with the wiper cowl where the windshield wipers would come out if they were going to be there. I could just leave the humps in the cowl and plug em with a slug, i could just leave em open and not worry with it, or I could do some worth of smoothing work there, I don't realy know which direction to head with it. So yeah, if you guys have any suggestions or stumble upon any threads with a similar situation, let me know.

Here's a couple more pics of how the truck was sitting last night when I left it:

The pic of the wiper cowl is on another cab I have sitting around (obviously for along time, as the dust tells you) just using it for referance.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #25
Chev71

Good progress man, I'll be following for sure
Hey just wondering. Won't the front lower part of the cab bend since you don't have the lower part of the pillar for support? I would tack something on their so it won't warp, but then again idk lol
Posted via Mobile Device