The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Project Budget Build

Ok ive been a member for a year now and I think its about time I start my build Thread. I originally found this truck... actually pair of trucks on Craigslist on the other side of the state. I had a 71' Long Fleet about 10 years ago that sadly ended up crushed when I left it in the care of a friend of mine when I moved out of state. Ive always wanted a Short Fleet though.

Now fast forward to this past April. I was bored scavenging craigslist for a good deal on an old farm truck (those are cheapest), when I came across an ad for a 70' Short Box C10 WITH a parts truck for $700 Hell Ya! Done! So I called the guy up and got everything set up. Next issue I had to tackle was how to get both trucks 350 miles back home. A month back I had just sold my Lifted 85' K5 so I had nothing to tow them with and I dont currently own a car trailer let alone a car trailer that will haul my TWO Short Box Pickups. So I put an ad on craigslist and an hour later I got a response from a towing company willing to do the hauling for about $300. Sounds like a sweet deal right!?... On paper Yes. Well I found the trucks in april, Dealt with the shipping company for almost THREE MONTHS! Mid july comes around and the guy I bought them from is getting ancy about when Im going to pick them up (already paid for them back in april). I explained the situation and He says hell call me back.

I get the call and he says hes coming to where I live for business anyway and hes got a friend with a cummins and a 36' trailer that he can borrow and he'll be here tomorrow. I told him id do the $300 the shipping company would have charged if he delivers to me.

Long Story... Long I now have my dream truck and for a pretty good price. Even better now is I ended up parting out the parts truck and made over $1000 so the parts truck paid for everything. Thats kindof where the title came from.
Im Married, with a toddler (and we just found out last monday 1/31/11 weve got one on the way), a cheap ass, stingy, and resourceful. As it sits right now Im probably not even $400 into it out of my own pocket and that includes a new cab I just picked up the other day With a title for $50, and the complete 350 bored .040 over that i snagged for $125, headers Patriot shortys off ebay less than $100

Its gonna be a slow build until summer comes. I have no garage and no previous experience restoring,welding, or otherwise. Im just good at takin stuff apart and making it a little better. I look forward to all of your advise along the way and please feel free to offer any personal experience and suggestions if you think im doing something wrong or it could be made better.

As always Thanks in advance guys and I hope you enjoy my build.

This pic below Is the day I brought her home July 17th 2010. I met the guy at a truck stop nearby so we had room to unload the trucks then I towed them home. The truck is lifted up high because I was changing the front driver tire. He delivered it with 2 flats...
Attached Images

blazerboy_4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Talking Re: Project Budget Build

Forgot to add my plans. Its a short fleet with a rotting steel bed. I picked up a pickup box trailer with a short step bed thats in better shape than my whole truck for $100. I pulled some suspension parts off to get the truck rolling safely and Ill use the trailer later. Im very undecided on which style I like better so as of right now Im planning on making some kind of quick release under the wheel wells so that I can quickly switch between the fleet and the step. Anybody ever done anything like that? Oh the step side box is wood bed and I will be converting the fleet over to wood too. I will be lowering it JUST a little. I only want to level it really. The new cab will be getting a shaved firewall including the master cyllinder and the truck will be loosing anything that is not necessary. I want it as simple and clean as it can be with nothing bolted to the body. The more lights and stickers and markers and... stuff attached to it the better chance of rust forming there so it will all go. Ultimate goal is a weekend show worthy daily driver. It will be driven year round none of this trailer queen stuff or caged up in the garage all winter.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
foosed

Re: Project Budget Build

Fellow South Dakotan here, where did you pick these up at? Such a killer deal on TWO SWB TRUCKS! I always keep my eye out for em but these ones musta squeezed past me. I'll be followin this build sounds pretty slick
foosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

The guy was 10 miles south of Souix Falls. I emailed him the day he posted them on craigslist.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:31 AM   #5
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Are there any other members out there from South Dakota?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
Solego
Dr. Frankentruck's Monster

Isn't South Dakota still just a territory?

Project SLOMO
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430494

Last edited by Solego; 02-09-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Solego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solego View Post
Isn't South Dakota still just a territory?
Haha something like that. I moved back here so I could finish up at the Engineering school I started back a few years ago. After that I think its back to Cali.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Solego

Whooaaa! Don't go all crazy on us and move to Kalifornia. That's the land of fruits and nuts.

Project SLOMO
Old 02-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
foosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerboy_4life View Post
Haha something like that. I moved back here so I could finish up at the Engineering school I started back a few years ago. After that I think its back to Cali.
So are you going to Mines? I toured the school, seems real nice. And yeah there are a few more SD members on here. California sure sounds nice, especially right now...
Old 02-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Yeah I was going to school of mines for Mechanical Engineering. I had to stop because It was hard to find a job that would work around my school schedule and still give me enough hours to pay the bills and eat and all that not very important stuff. Hopefully Ill be starting up again this spring maybe next fall.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:14 AM   #11
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

So I will hopefully be pulling my bed soon. Do you think I have anything to worry about with my frame?

Also this was the trailing arm that was on the truck when I got it. I pulled the good one from the parts trailer that I mentioned Earlier. I limped it to a local shop with the good trailing arm on and kindly told them I would pay them in cash if they could only loosen up the nut on the U-bolt so that I can switch out the bad for the good. I got turned away. Nobody wanted to break the u-bolt Soooo...
I made a stop at Advance auto parts and picked u a 24" 1/2' breaker bar for $15 then stopped by menards and picked up a 1/2" impact socket set for $10 and headed home. As it turns out that 24" bar still didnt give me the leverage I needed to break the bolt. Sure I could cut it but it didnt seem necessary at the time plus I didnt have a grinder or cutting wheel. I also dont own a compressor or an impact gun. So I pulled out my trusty cheater pipe which was another 24" and went to town in it! That d@mn nut was stuck on there so good It never even turned a 1/4 turn. I spun the whole end of the u-bolt off 1/4 twist at a time. It took me about 45 min and all the energy I had but when it came off there was a big loud *Bang* and I was relieved to finally be done with the d@mn thing.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2011, 02:19 AM   #12
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Heres some pics of the new one next to the old one after I sprayed some rust reformer and some undercoating on the new arm. I cant be certain, because I bought the trucks without ever having seen them first, but if I had to guess I think this truck may have been sitting in standing water for a little while. That whole side of the truck is pretty bad.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2011, 02:59 AM   #13

Yikes!
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:11 AM   #14
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Yep! and when I did my walk around the truck I missed that. Must have been to excited to drive her. I actually drove it to work for a few weeks that way.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #15
Solego

Trailing arms are expensive if you buy them new!

Project SLOMO
Old 02-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #16
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solego View Post
Trailing arms are expensive if you buy them new!
Thats why I pulled this one off the pickup box trailer. Ill repair the old one as best I can and put it back on the trailer so I can move it around for now.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #17
foosed

Heres an old thread where Ram-Man built his own for about 65 bucks...
Old 02-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #18
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Wow I just looked up his build. Superb quality! I think Im going to do the same once I decide on a welder.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #19
foosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosed View Post
Heres an old thread where Ram-Man built his own for about 65 bucks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerboy_4life View Post
Wow I just looked up his build. Superb quality! I think Im going to do the same once I decide on a welder.
Notice I forgot the thread!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=trailing+arms
Old 02-14-2011, 02:13 AM   #20
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Well I ordered my new valve covers tonight. The motor should hopefully be done next week!
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #21

Thats cool you are going to Mines. Keep at it! I have 2 nephews from Denver attending Mines.....one Mechanical, the other Petroleum. Wow, I'm getting old.....
And sweet valve covers!

Last edited by 5150.4.67; 02-14-2011 at 11:26 PM.
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:25 AM   #22
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Thanks.

Didnt make any progress today but tomorrow I maybe doing some brake line work, trimming the frame a little bit, and repairing some old headers if I cant get the new ones to fit. Its supposed to be 60 degrees tomorrow and I cant NOT take advantage of the nice weather! Especially since I dont have a garage or shelter of any type.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #23
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Im on a tight budget right now so I only have room for one thing. What is more important in this stage? A Welder or a Soda Blaster? Help me decide!
Old 02-15-2011, 02:10 AM   #24
VA72C10
VA72C10

I like the build and back story!!!

On the welder vs soda blaster...have you priced out how much to farm out either? I have done two projects with a local guy who welds parts in for me and then I go behind and grind them down....his cost for the two builds is less than I would have in a welder and supplies...much less getting it set up in my garage and having to buy gas/wire, etc...

So it might actually be cheaper to pay someone to either do the welding or the blasting....

Depending on if you find someone cheap...and reliable (I Know...not usually found but I have found one locally)
Old 02-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #25
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
I like the build and back story!!!

On the welder vs soda blaster...have you priced out how much to farm out either? I have done two projects with a local guy who welds parts in for me and then I go behind and grind them down....his cost for the two builds is less than I would have in a welder and supplies...much less getting it set up in my garage and having to buy gas/wire, etc...

So it might actually be cheaper to pay someone to either do the welding or the blasting....

Depending on if you find someone cheap...and reliable (I Know...not usually found but I have found one locally)
Well currently I am looking at good old harbor freight. 40lb soda blaster is on sale for $149 and a 110 90 amp wire feed is currently on sale for $149. I have only had the chance to price out sand blasting so far and the place I talked to said they wanted $200 to blast my frame. At that price I could buy a blaster but I dont know if thats a good rate or not. This is my first restore.