The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
mjewett

Quadrajet question - broken vacuum port?

First-time poster here, thanks in advance for the patience and thanks for help with problems past - this forum has been a great resource.

For what it's worth, subject vehicle is a 1971 GMC K1500, 350/TH350 - "restored" (by an engine machinist/hot rodder for his wife as a DD) several years ago and purchased by me ("idiot") two years ago as a "cheap daily field truck". Obviously, my wrenching knowledge is limited and self-taught, so please bear with me as I attempt to make sense out of somebody else's project. Now the issue at hand:

I'm currently running a Rochester Q-jet that a local carb guy built and tuned for me last year to replace the gas-sucking Holley I had before (best money spent on it so far). I noticed a slight hissing/squealing sound the other day coming from the carb area and a stumble at idle. While digging around for an intake or vacuum leak, I found a small hollow metal rod with a rubber cap on the pass side valve cover. Looking up at the pass side of the carb, there's a correctly-sized hole just under the choke-pull off. When I put the metal piece there, the noise goes away and the truck seems to run fine, but looks like metal piece was once one and the same with the carb body. The thing will stay in place while running in park and on a short, gentle test drive around the local 'hood (assuming this is full vacuum), but then I do bounce this thing around in the dirt pretty good for work, and it obviously fell out to begin with. Question(s):

1. Is this port intended for the thermo-valve that would have been in the stock air cleaner snout - that's what I've come up with after browsing some pics on the interwebs?

2. Any ideas on what to plug this with? Or how to re-attach this thing?

If there's any other info needed or if a picture would help, let me know and I'll add it. Any help would be much appreciated by the idiot behind the keyboard.
mjewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
hotrod100

Re: Quadrajet question - broken vacuum port?

The port is just a press fit. You can usually just pop off the cap and tap it back in the base with a small hammer. If it's broken off or won't fit tight you can use some JB Weld to fill the hole. Just let it set up before you start it. As far as what the port was originally used for, if it's the one in the throttle plate below the pull off, I've seen it used as the supply port for the egr on emission equipped vehicles.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
geezer#99

PLease don't use jb weld in the hole. You'll have no control where the stuff goes inside the carb manifold vacuum passages. You want to plug it use a small lead shot in it.
Or flare the end of the tube slightly and tap it back in.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
TBONE1964
Cluster King

It will most likely tap back in as mentioned above. If the fitting is wore too much you may have to find one from a donor carb that will fit better. It should have a press fit and not fall out when installed.

If you can post a photo of the area, It would help ID the port assignment.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
68K30

Roll the end of the tube between a file and a metal bench top,lay the tube down, set the file on it press down and roll. It will knurl the end of the tube making it slightly larger so that when you tap it back in it will stay, did lots of them as a GM tech.
68K30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Quadrajet question - broken vacuum port?

Do as 68K30 says. I've even found a 'correct' size die, run a few threads on one end (to knurl it), and gently driven back into opening.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote