The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
75Dually

1968 GMC Terra Firma 2

So I messed up the first time around and accidently put this thread in the 73-87 Project Builds. So here we go again!

A new project came my way over the Christmas break. The below 1968 GMC. I have been looking through Craigslist for the past couple of years, and this truck showed up with an amazing price. I jumped on it right away and the previous owner even delivered it to the shop!

Right now it is a long bed 3/4 ton. The cab and front end are super straight. The bed on the passenger side is not in the best of shape, but can be fixed. The engine is a 305 V6, and I am going to rebuild the carb and get it to run on the original power plant for now. My plan is to put either: 1. 350 small block, 2. 454 big block, 3. (or my current preference) an LS motor. We will have to see what the budget is after I finish my Dually. This truck will get bagged and slammed to mother earth and lay frame. I will shorten the frame and do a short bed conversion. Not 100% sure on wheels just yet, still looking at some ideas. I want a Porterbuilt front suspension, and the rear I want an IRS either out of a Vette or maybe I will build something custom. Again the budget will have to be consulted.

BTW you can see my current project below. It is a 1975 Chevy dually. Some of you may have already seen it here on this forum. I am trying to get it complete enough to go to the 2016 Lone Star Throwdown at the end of February.

Stay tuned...
Attached Images

75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:38 PM   #2
75Dually

Re: 1968 GMC Terra Firma 2

So I have had these pictures for quite some time. If I go IRS this is what I will do. I'm a Corvette guy so this is right down my alley. Also I dig the cantilever airbag/shocks!
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2015, 10:39 PM   #3
75Dually

So I got the carb from the previous owner today. It was in a million pieces in a box! So when I got done with work today I watched a couple of YouTube videos on how to rebuild this particular model. This style of carb was used by GM in a ton of applications, and each one had there own special version. So I did the best I could to piece this thing back together, and actually it went back together better than I thought it would. I still need a new gasket set, but that will have to be ordered or see if I can pick up one locally.

If all goes well I want to see if I can get the truck to run by the end of the weekend.

Stay tuned...
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
75Dually

Well the discussion is now over concerning the V6 staying in this truck. I just sold it and the 4 speed transmission. I will take it out once the snow melts off.

Now the discussion turns to what will go back in place of the V6? I'm thinking 5.3 LS with a 4L60E would be the easiest and most affordable. Plus there is a ton of aftermarket parts to support it also. Hmmm... Maybe a 6.0 LS... Have to see what is out there!
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2015, 10:56 PM   #5
75Dually

Re: 1968 GMC Terra Firma

So I have been looking into what I want I want to do with the suspension for this truck.

I really like the idea of a C5 complete front suspension, and a C4 rear. The below pic is from the Poterbuilt build and their C4 rear set up. I thought it was excellent, and really gave me some great inspiration. The other pic is a C5 front module. If I go this route I will do a complete custom frame.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2016, 05:20 PM   #6
rwade

This should be a cool build! I'm gonna follow along. May see you at the lonestar throwdown. You still building the 60-63 big window for your son was it?

Wade
rwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #7
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwade View Post
This should be a cool build! I'm gonna follow along. May see you at the lonestar throwdown. You still building the 60-63 big window for your son was it?

Wade
Wade, I'm Building/Finishing the 75 Crew Cab Dually for LST. The boy got something different for his high school car, which leaves that ride for Dad! He lost interest. Maybe he will get the bug one of these days?

I just need this snow to go away, and to not have such cold weather so I can work on the Dually more. Ah well them's the breaks!
Old 01-02-2016, 12:17 AM   #8
rwade

Great. True, once you start on it he may get the fever again. Hope to see you at the show in February

Wade
rwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:35 PM   #9
75Dually

So the old motor is now gone. It went to a new home today. So after LST I need to start collecting parts for this build
Old 02-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #10
75Dually

I sold the 305 V6 engine over the weekend. It went to a good home! Now I can plan and save $ for the LS!

I have to keep telling myself that the dually has to be completed first... Man that is becoming tough to do, I really want this truck on the road so I can play with it!
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #11
75Dually

I went to the DMV today to get the title switched over and do all legal stuff. Now that the Dually is up and running I will start to make a frame table right after spring break. I will post some pics on that once we get all the steel in and start to weld it up.

My plan right now is to do a complete custom frame for this build. So far my thoughts are to do the C4 rear end noted above, and either a C5 front end, a Porterbuilt, or maybe something else... Just not 100% sure yet.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:54 PM   #12
75Dually

So it's been a long time since I have posted anything to this blog on my 68 GMC build. Obviously I have been working on the 75 Dually and getting it into a more finished state. Not even close to getting that truck done yet, I will move on to the interior and finish the bed on it, but I will start with this truck very soon.

For the most part I will be doing the initial tear down and work on the overall plan for this ride for the time being.

Below is the Dually as it sits today. Can't wait until the 68 GMC is rolling around under it's own power!
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2017, 10:46 PM   #13
75Dually

While out on business this week I picked up the below grille for my 68 GMC project. A good friend on Facebook had it and was willing to let it go. Actually I should now say 68 Chevy. I have always liked the 67/68 Chevy front ends. Still have to collect a lot more parts for that project. However I can't wait to get started!
Attached Images