The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
mgeez

1st post on this site! Intro and a question!

Hello from Pa.,
I have been a 1 yr lurker and this is my 1st post. I did not find an introduction section, so I will start here.
I am helping my younger son restore a '51 3/4 ton. He is in his 4th yr of college and has very limited $$$ to buy the high dollar repro parts it requires, hence I do a graet deal of welding, patching, welding, etc.
The '51 3/4 ton was a stake bed from the factory. It sat in a barn since 1985. The motor was replaced with a mid 60's 235 I believe. 3 speed on the column. Left foot parking brake. Electrical was at some point converted to 12 volt. We removed the stake bed, straightened all sheet metal from the cab to the front. Gutted the wiring rats nest harness. We replaced 100% of brake components and lines. He originally was going to put the stake bed back on, but since the cab and front turned out so well, we decided to find another truck with a good bed.
He purchased a '52 1 ton with an original 9' bed in very good shape. 4 speed with hand emergency brake. This truck is 100% original except an added "farmers rear bumper", and in fair to good shape for not running since 1991. All the sheet metal is salvagable except the tailgate and the front bed panel. After removing the bed and any better parts than on the 3/4 ton, we plan to sell all the remaing parts to recoup some $$$.
So, I removed approx 12" from the bed front as well as 12" from the rear of the bed. Of course the running boards and bed aprons had to be shortened.
Now..... my question:
I am almost positive the 3/4 has the orig 3 speed tranny, and I know the 1 ton has its original 4 sp tranny. Question: Will the 4 sp bolt right into the 3/4 ton? He wants to do this for several reasons. Its way "cooler" to have a 4 sp on the floor. We think the hand emergency brake is neat, as it bolts directly to the 4 sp tranny for suport. I would like to switch to the 4 sp to clean the "rats nest" of levers, rods, springs, etc under the left cab side. I could delete the left foot emergency pedal and those darn column shift linkages. Any thoughts? What should be my main concern?

Mark from Pa.
mgeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
NEWFISHER

Re: 1st post on this site! Intro and a question!

Welcome.
What engine is n the 1 ton? You say "The motor was replaced with a mid 60's 235 I believe" on the 51 3/4, but no mention of the 1 ton engine. if the 1 ton has a 235 or 216 the current 4sp would bolt up to the 235 in the 51.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

I don't know about the 4 spped being cooler? The four speeds on these trucks had a "Granny" first gear that you do not use at all in ordinary driving. You just start out in 2nd gear mostly.

"darned column shift linkage"? I LOVE the "3-on-the-tree" of these trucks. If mine had still be there when I'd bought it I'd have left it. YOunger people today have no idea what a 3 speed column shift is or how to drive one. Anybody can have a four speed floor shift, but oh well that just my opinion.

LET'S SEE A PHOTO!!!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
mgeez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I don't know about the 4 spped being cooler? The four speeds on these trucks had a "Granny" first gear that you do not use at all in ordinary driving. You just start out in 2nd gear mostly.
Cooler in my son's eyes, not mine. I like the uniqueness of the column shift. Even my oldest sons looked perplexed when I told him it was a "3 speed on the tree". He thought it was an automatic. I laughed.

[/QUOTE]
"darned column shift linkage"? I LOVE the "3-on-the-tree" of these trucks. If mine had still be there when I'd bought it I'd have left it. YOunger people today have no idea what a 3 speed column shift is or how to drive one. Anybody can have a four speed floor shift, but oh well that just my opinion.

[/QUOTE]
Agree!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
mgeez

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
Welcome.
What engine is n the 1 ton? You say "The motor was replaced with a mid 60's 235 I believe" on the 51 3/4, but no mention of the 1 ton engine. if the 1 ton has a 235 or 216 the current 4sp would bolt up to the 235 in the 51.
"rookie question" - is there anything visual, other than if I check the numbers, to tell if it is a 216 or 235. It has what looks like an external oil filter on the left side mounted to some brackets. Excuse my ignorance of these trucks, this is the 1st pr 67 vehicle I ever restored. I dealt with camaro, nova, chevy II, etc all my life, but never tackled these old trucks. I really like the idea of restoring these old workhorses and this definately won't be the last one i build.

Mark

Last edited by mgeez; 07-25-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Denee007

HI! Welcome to a greeaaat forum!
dne'
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
mgeez

Quote:

LET'S SEE A PHOTO!!!
These are the 2 trucks I started with Dan:
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Denee007

Wow, nothing like a good ole restoration eh! I like your avatar picture! I wish everyone would put a pic of themselves!
dne'
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
agnes the dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeez View Post
These are the 2 trucks I started with Dan:
I hope painting it isn't in the plan... That looks great the way it is!! Clean it and clear it!

1959 3100 stepside 355 + T5
agnes the dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
magicoolbus

I agree that patina is fabulous. As posted before, the sm420 or sm465 transmission will not provide true 4 speed functionality. Just a three speed with the very rare benefit of a low gear for starting off when pulling a load. One of the best mods for the money is putting in a Borg T-5 5 speed. Lots of these in junk yards and tons of previous install experience by board members here and at 'stovebolt.' Good Luck and welcome to the addiction!
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
mechanixman

Quote:
"rookie question" - is there anything visual, other than if I check the numbers, to tell if it is a 216 or 235. It has what looks like an external oil filter on the left side mounted to some brackets.
Mark
Hey mark! Welcome!
The way to determine the difference is to look at the valve cover.
The first picture is of a 235. It has 4 bolts around the edge that hold it down.
The second is of (my old) 216. It has 2 bolts on the top of the cover holding it down.
I was told the oil filter was an option on these trucks. Definitely worth keeping.
Attached Images

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee007 View Post
I like your avatar picture! I wish everyone would put a pic of themselves!
dne'
Uh...we don't all look as good as she does. You may want to reconsider this request.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee007 View Post
Wow, nothing like a good ole restoration eh! I like your avatar picture! I wish everyone would put a pic of themselves!
dne'
Uh...yeah well you may want to rethink this request. We're not all former homecoming queens. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
Katrina/10

I'm kinda digging the stake bed.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
mknittle

Welcome from Ca. looks like you have a good start there. I like the flat bed. and it has the radiused sides making it extra cool.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #16
pvienneau

mgeez, welcome the best AD TF website available. The members on this site will get you through anything for your chevy trucks. Keep posting pix and PLEEEEZ talk your son into keeping the 3 on the TREE.

1949 unmolested Indy Farm Deluxe AD
1949 Standard 4 speed http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=581544
pvienneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #17
mgeez

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvienneau View Post
mgeez, welcome the best AD TF website available. The members on this site will get you through anything for your chevy trucks. Keep posting pix and PLEEEEZ talk your son into keeping the 3 on the TREE.
Yea, I am trying. Up until today, we were building original everything. Then, today he tells me to order a roll pan rear in lieu of brackets and a rear bumper. Oh well! It will save him maybe $150 this route, but I would have gone original rear bumper. Spent 10 hours today rebuilding all 4 corners of the rear fenders. What a job for a novice builder! Ordered the rollpan, tailgate, hinges, and a chrome/ivory grill today. The total today in just those parts equalled what he paid for the truck. I am sort of skeptical regarding the Chrome Grill. Every where else other than Ebay had them listed for $450+. This 1 seller on Ebay listed them new for $345 shipped. Something is "off", but I took the chance and bought it. The tailgate, rollpan, hinges shipping was $75. Thats tough to take. I get Dynacorn dealer prices, but anything oversize costs a flat fee of $175 to ship, so i purchased from parts123.com. Shipping really takes a bite out of the budget!
Mark
Old 07-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #18
av8tr33337

Quote:
Yea, I am trying. Up until today, we were building original everything. Then, today he tells me to order a roll pan rear in lieu of brackets and a rear bumper. Oh well! It will save him maybe $150 this route, but I would have gone original rear bumper. Spent 10 hours today rebuilding all 4 corners of the rear fenders. What a job for a novice builder! Ordered the rollpan, tailgate, hinges, and a chrome/ivory grill today. The total today in just those parts equalled what he paid for the truck. I am sort of skeptical regarding the Chrome Grill. Every where else other than Ebay had them listed for $450+. This 1 seller on Ebay listed them new for $345 shipped. Something is "off", but I took the chance and bought it. The tailgate, rollpan, hinges shipping was $75. Thats tough to take. I get Dynacorn dealer prices, but anything oversize costs a flat fee of $175 to ship, so i purchased from parts123.com. Shipping really takes a bite out of the budget!
Mark
Anxious to hear about the quality of the grill when you get it. Hope it's a good one for you.

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:21 AM   #19
Ferrofil

Quote:
Mark
Hi and welcome!
I'm fresh here too! Just joined a month ago...
Imagine the shipping costs me, living here in Sweden...!
:-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Ferrofil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
mgeez

Thanks for all the welcomes. I am thrilled to be part of this community. Everyone is so helpful. I think I added a photobucket link in the signature portion of my post for some pics of our progress. Hope it works.
We are soon at the point in our 1st build when I have to start planning for primer / paint. Son's long range plan is to have a professional paint job after college when he is making money. Short range plan is to just get it looking OK. He wants to do the satin black theme for now to save $$$. Any pros / cons on several coats polyester primer, followed by John Deere's Blitz Black?
Mark

My toys: 1951 Chevy Truck 3600, 1952 Chevy Truck 3800, 1954 Case 411B, 1939 Ford 9n, 1972 Kubota B7100
http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/m_geesey/library/
Old 07-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
....I added a photobucket link in the signature portion of my post for some pics of our progress.
Mark
Just an FYI, you'll find you get more comments/responses if you post photos directly in your posts than relying on us to follow a link.

-Dan
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #22
mgeez

Quote:
Just an FYI, you'll find you get more comments/responses if you post photos directly in your posts than relying on us to follow a link.

-Dan
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea Dan, thanks for the advice. I will put pics in any posts where I have specific questions. I keep all Dillons truck pics in a central location, photobucket, so relatives, forum members, and friends can easily see them when they want to.

Dillon drove the truck for the 1st time last evening around the farm. He was proud as a peacock. I don't know if I can attach a video right here in my reply, so there is a short video clip on photobucket.
If you choose to view it, the noise is from my wifes atv. she was following him around the yard videoing and forgot to turn atv off.
Grill, rollpan, and tailgate will be here in a few days. Ordered primer today.

Mark

My toys: 1951 Chevy Truck 3600, 1952 Chevy Truck 3800, 1954 Case 411B, 1939 Ford 9n, 1972 Kubota B7100
Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #23
mgeez

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tr33337 View Post
Anxious to hear about the quality of the grill when you get it. Hope it's a good one for you.
Got the grille today. Looks perfect. Very happy for now. Will check fitup tonite. More than pleased for $345 shipped!
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
Ferrofil

Looks very nice! Where did you buy it from?
Posted via Mobile Device
Ferrofil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #25
mgeez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrofil View Post
Looks very nice! Where did you buy it from?
Posted via Mobile Device
There was a seller on ebay last week that had (4) new chrome ones to sell. I waited a day and saw he sold 2 of them, so i decided to take a chance. I bought the 3rd one he had, and soon after the last one was sold. These 4 were about $100 cheaper than the lowest of the remaining ones listed by others.
Search completed listings for chevy truck grille, $345, and find who the seller is. Then msg him to see if he will have more in the future.