The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
mikey2409

Need Help On Engine Swap...

Need some advice on a engine swap and if its worth picking up this engine so here it goes got a 1970 c10 with a inline 6 and may possibly pick up a 350 long block out of a 1987 suburban with a cam and heres some info and specs for this set up Engine has an Edelbrock Original Torker I intake, new Comp Cams Thumper Series Cam .500 lift/313 advertised duration/257 duration @ .050, new Z-28 valve springs, new double roller timing set what would.be the best heads to run since they are stock and here a few questions to go with this swap besides the heads question do I have to do any mods or fab for the motor mount for this engine since the truck is running a 250. Plus the guy said the shift points on his th350 was changed on 3 gear to comp for racing are they a nightmare to change back.to stock springs or should I stay with my current trans which is oe 3 speed manual trans and will that bolt on to this engine if its not worth the time to change over the springs to make the truck into a automatic
mikey2409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
MARKDTN

Re: Need Help On Engine Swap...

The physical engine swap is best found with a search. If you get V8 mounts and a complete V8 with accessories, it can go in pretty easy is the very short answer.

As far as the engine you are looking at, why is he selling? What's wrong with it? Used engines are a bit of a gamble. Can you drive it (best)? Hear it run (better than nothing)? it's just laying on the floor (not ideal)? If you can't hear it run, it's not worth much to me (sum of re-sellable parts visible). May have been overheated, over-revved, etc.? Is it a new build or lots of miles? If a new build, how do you know if the cam has been treated right? If not done right you can fail a new cam at startup. Who built it? NASCAR shop or just some guy he knows or somewhere in between? How long has it been sitting? How was it stored? All of these things come into play buying a used engine.

I can't tell you about the trans, sounds strange to me, but could be fine-I don't know.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
71tahoe

Re: Need Help On Engine Swap...

Everything will bolt up to the stock manual 3 speed in the stock location but you will have some potential clearance issues with some tall valve covers and clutch linkage issues with headers and newer block.

The z-bar can be bent around the headers and a bracket can be made for the pivot near the oil filter if needed.

If you are talking about the governor springs on the automatic, they are easy to get to and should be easy to change. If it's internal, I really don't have any idea how hard. You should change your radiator to a 3 or 4 core either way you go but get one with a transmission cooler for the auto. You will have to extend stock cooler lines about 4" or fab your own. Adding an auto also means a new starter that attaches to the block and not the bellhousing.

EDIT: forgot to mention that for the auto you will need to cut the existing transmission crossmember and get one for an auto.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote