The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
VictoriaHardware

SPID SEO Codes

I am starting this thread so that a previous poster's thread is not hijacked.

Here is the SPID label from my '66 Fremont-built Suburban Carryall. It was originally ordered by a California mental hospital and used as an ambulance. In the '90s it was transferred to a nearby Ca State prison and used by the maintenance department. Apparently since it was a government agency it was "special" ordered. I don't have the build sheet or any other ordering documentation. In 2012 it was retired from use and I am now the second owner. Despite being a gov't truck it was well maintained and overall unmolested and had less than 50K on the odo.

The paint is listed as SPECIAL and the Trim Tag also says "SPC". It was re-painted blue in the '90s. The original color is white and I have never understood why it is "special" because it is so similar to the normal "521 White".
Attached Images

VictoriaHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
VictoriaHardware

Re: SPID SEO Codes

The RPO codes listed are well understood and all still on the truck when I got it, including all of the AIR system. The 9000 codes are not fully understood.

Earlier posted by 60-66:
Those 9000 numbers on that spid are COPO or Special Equipment option numbers. Im assuming something was different about your Suburban since it also has Special for the paint ??

9838 is Panel type driver seat replacing standard suburban seat or Supplementary seat

9868 lighter not available with custom comfort or custom camper

9842 armrest RH door , LH door not available with custom comfort option.

Like to see exactly what this all looks like ???

Regarding the armrest. It had LH only. The armrest was missing when I got it.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
65chevysub

[QUOTE=VictoriaHardware;8153484]The RPO codes listed are well understood and all still on the truck when I got it, including all of the AIR system. The 9000 codes are not fully understood.

Earlier posted by 60-66:
Those 9000 numbers on that spid are COPO or Special Equipment option numbers. Im assuming something was different about your Suburban since it also has Special for the paint ??

9838 is Panel type driver seat replacing standard suburban seat or Supplementary seat

9868 lighter not available with custom comfort or custom camper

9842 armrest RH door , LH door not available with custom comfort option.

Like to see exactly what this all looks like ???

Regarding the armrest. It had LH only. The armrest was missing when I got it.
The factory didnt put armrests on the burbs or the right jump seat wouldnt be able to fold forward with the door shut. Mine has the Z62 option and has the lighter. Is that the same option?
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:47 AM   #4
1966 K10

Passenger side armrest was a dealer option only.

Were these SEO numbers for factory only or could they have certain things done by the dealer before customer pickup? Could the guys on the line just throw in the accessory lighter (lighted?) and armrest in the seat to be installed by the dealer?
Attached Images

1966 K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
VictoriaHardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966 K10 View Post
Were these SEO numbers for factory only or could they have certain things done by the dealer before customer pickup? Could the guys on the line just throw in the accessory lighter (lighted?) and armrest in the seat to be installed by the dealer?
Regular Production Options, Special Equipment Options, and Central Office Production Orders were all factory-installed. Installed at the vehicle assembly plant.

Dealer-installed options are called Accessories. Many times the Dealer could add the same options that the factory could do. Things like Armrests, Power Brakes, Power Steering, A/C, radio, were available in a kit for a Dealer to retrofit a new or used vehicle. It came with all the parts, brackets, hardware, wiring, and instructions to end up with the same functionality.

Some options were available only as an Accessory. Things like Spare Fuses, Road Flares, Fire Extinguisher, First Aid Kit, etc.

Accessories don't show up on a SPID or window sticker. They are listed on the Bill of Sale from the Dealer.

There is also the possibility that a person bought an accessory from the Dealer Parts Dept. and installed it on the vehicle themself.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #6
VictoriaHardware

Earlier posted by 60-66 :

On the seats , I have a 1965 that was also an Ambulance. I was told that the rear seat was taken out at the dealer at time of delivery. Mine only had one set of slider windows so it was only a two row front and second seat. It had the normal Front Suburban seat. I also have a 1966 GMC Panel truck , it was ordered for Civil Defense . It has a Suburban front seat from the factory and the Panel truck style seat holes are plugged with a special phillips style screw that they also used to plug LH Mirror holes when West Coast JR mirrors were installed. My point is , look for a different set of holes on the drivers side , my guess is somebody put the Suburban front seat in yours after it was done being used as an ambulance. Should be a different set of holes for the panel seat ??

Under the Special Equipment section for JUST Suburban it lists 9838 as a "Panel truck style seat". Now go to the Pickup truck and Panel section ( thats how the Data book has this listed) of the Special Equipment section and it lists the same 9838 but says "Carryall Front + Auxiliary" seat or normal Suburban front seat available for a Panel truck . Same number just different meanings under different categories.

The lighter and the arm rest still have me confused. Im guessing here, that the arm rest was a different design or color than normal. The description is saying RH and LH are both available under that 9842 code , you just order TWO 9842s. The lighter ? Baffled . Cant figure out what would be "Special" here.

In these two pictures of my 66 GMC K Panel you can see the Suburban seat with the Panel truck seat holes plugged with that phillips screw.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #7
VictoriaHardware

A Panel seat instead of the bench would make good sense, however I see no evidence of the Panel seat ever being in this truck. No extra holes or holes plugged with screws.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
VictoriaHardware

Earlier posted by 60-66 :

The lighter and the arm rest still have me confused. Im guessing here, that the arm rest was a different design or color than normal. The description is saying RH and LH are both available under that 9842 code , you just order TWO 9842s. The lighter ? Baffled . Cant figure out what would be "Special" here.

Is it because the armrest and lighter usually came as part of RPO Z62 and this was just an armrest and a lighter?
Old 01-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #9
factorystock

Nice find! Lots of uncommon options on your sub. Its a keeper! The special order option trucks are out there, but are few and far between. Its going to take a long time to compile and document special order codes for these trucks. I remember seeing a '66 Chevy 3/4 ton 2wd with rear leaf spring suspension and the special order option number was noted on glove box SPID, but that was 30 years ago with no camera.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #10
The Rocknrod

Back in the day they needed that lighter after loading up a patient in the back to light up a Marlboro. True.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #11
60-66

Special Equipment Options were options needing a 9000 number in order to be installed on the assembly line. Key words "Special" vs "Regular" production options. Yes these options were also Dealer installed. Lots of Suburbans out there with RH arm rests , how often did a person climb into the back seat with the RH door shut ? Just saying .

Thinking about the cigarette and arm rest under Special order , I dont think, now , that anything was unique about them . I just think some smart salesman new about these SEO codes and was able to get this order filled. The seat now, without those holes in the floor , possibly was done without the jump seat ? Just a two thirds front ?

Paint , if I read the Spid sheet description in the book correctly , I think your paint code could have been typed in the upper RH corner of your spid according to what it says about special paints , thats now missing on yours. Somewhere I also have pictures of a Civil Defense truck coming down the assembly line in Blue on roof , cowl and hood and white everywhere else , possible there was another color on this Suburban ?

Heres your 9000 codes straight from the Data book with the descriptions of each code.

WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:46 PM   #12
VictoriaHardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-66 View Post
Lots of Suburbans out there with RH arm rests , how often did a person climb into the back seat with the RH door shut ?
I was questioning that too. If it's true that "The factory didnt put armrests on the burbs or the right jump seat wouldnt be able to fold forward with the door shut", then maybe the reason had to do with getting OUT of the rear seat- folding forward the jump seat, getting out of the door, and then shutting the door behind you. Possibly the arm rest would be jammed against the forward-folded seat and that's why it was not done? I can't test this theory on my truck.

The Data Book shows 9842 for both LH & RH sides. It seems that 9842A denoted LH, and 9842C denoted RH. See the SPID below.

Quote:
The seat now, without those holes in the floor , possibly was done without the jump seat ? Just a two thirds front ?
That may make sense also. The jump seat was there when I got it and all appeared "factory", but it is possible that in the previous 45 yrs, someone added it and re-covered it to match the 2/3 bench. Who knows? But how did the Plant know to install the rear sliders? Seems like there would be another code for that. Again they appear to be factory.

Quote:
Paint , if I read the Spid sheet description in the book correctly , I think your paint code could have been typed in the upper RH corner of your spid according to what it says about special paints , thats now missing on yours. Somewhere I also have pictures of a Civil Defense truck coming down the assembly line in Blue on roof , cowl and hood and white everywhere else , possible there was another color on this Suburban ?
Someday when it gets repainted I will carefully remove all the paint and maybe I will discover something. At this time there is no evidence of anything other than white all over.

Here is a SPID I saved from the internet somewhere, I don't remember where. I believe it was a C60. It has lots of interesting SEO codes, including a spelling error.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #13
60-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaHardware View Post

Here is a SPID I saved from the internet somewhere, I don't remember where. I believe it was a C60. It has lots of interesting SEO codes, including a spelling error.
I've been told by another member that this Spid is from something like a G or P 10 series Van . One big giveaway was the 4.11 Posi , couldn't get that in a C60. Some sharp eyes out there !! .
Old 01-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #14
VictoriaHardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaHardware View Post
Here is a SPID I saved from the internet somewhere, I don't remember where. I believe it was a C60
Just stumbled across the source of the SPID- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478354

Turns out it was a '66 C10 short wide. One pic included but not much help.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #15
60-66

Reading the 9838 code description again and it mentions A59 RPO option as Third seat , Might make more sense since your truck has rear sliders as to what that code on your truck means. Edit : then it says sliding windows not included ???
Old 01-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #16
60-66

Very interesting Spid ! On this C60 spid theres 5 different colors ! Wish there was a picture of that truck. Very interesting on the arm rest info also designating R+L !!

In reading through a 1965 GMC Data book this AM , it states that all the SEO's were added After the completed truck came off the assembly line and how it will delay your order. For GMC that meant you could get Air Conditioning put on AT the factory for $585.00 on both C and K series , but being done that way , it would still be a similar install as a Dealer install with the firewall cut. It lists quite a few other accessories.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #17
1966 K10

Quote:
In reading through a 1965 GMC Data book this AM , it states that all the SEO's were added After the completed truck came off the assembly line and how it will delay your order. For GMC that meant you could get Air Conditioning put on AT the factory for $585.00 on both C and K series , but being done that way , it would still be a similar install as a Dealer install with the firewall cut. It lists quite a few other accessories.
Wish I had all the literature to comb through when trying to solve all these mysteries!

Is there such thing as a plain jane GMC? Most Ive seen were well optioned or special order for a specific function. 4WD GMCs had the V8 option earlier than Chevy. Didnt the trucks also get the auto trans first?

How often did dealers order a loaded vehicle and then add all of the accessories on top? I would figure more often cars but trucks too?

Its too bad they couldnt just put the correct dash and firewall to make things easier for the guys at the end. Wouldnt it even speed up production to put the correct sheet metal and not install the heater? I wonder if the quality of the install was better than at the dealer. My old 65 C10 carryall had A/C and now knowing the signs it likely was a dealer install.

What other accessories were listed?
Old 01-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #18
60-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966 K10 View Post
Wish I had all the literature to comb through when trying to solve all these mysteries!

Is there such thing as a plain jane GMC? Most Ive seen were well optioned or special order for a specific function. 4WD GMCs had the V8 option earlier than Chevy. Didnt the trucks also get the auto trans first?

How often did dealers order a loaded vehicle and then add all of the accessories on top? I would figure more often cars but trucks too?

Its too bad they couldnt just put the correct dash and firewall to make things easier for the guys at the end. Wouldnt it even speed up production to put the correct sheet metal and not install the heater? I wonder if the quality of the install was better than at the dealer. My old 65 C10 carryall had A/C and now knowing the signs it likely was a dealer install.

What other accessories were listed?
Plenty of plain jane GMCs out there or low option trucks. They just got used up though. Many of the Custom GMCs , just my opinion but , I can say for the few that Ive bought were just very well taken care of. For 1966 both Chevy and GMC did assembly line installations with AIR but left out the K series apparently .

Literature is getting very tough to find ! Especially GMC . I have all Chevy data books from 1957-1970 but only 4 GMC data books and one is a duplicate sort of , its a Canadian version of the GMC data book ( Canadian Chevy and GMC is again different). Then you need accessory books, accessory Installation manuals , Chevrolet and GMC parts books of all different years along with Parts History books and many other books by GM. I have well over 100 plus I've collected , it just takes time to read them all. One group I haven't looked at much are Service News Bulletins for both Chevy and GMC , these are about three inches thick , each. In the VCCA group there is a Library that was available to any member. However the owner has passed away now , I know the library was donated but I don't remember who received it . We had the opportunity to see this mans duplicate s of books , it was about a 2-3 car garage filled to the ceiling with all GM books auctioned off last year. And just to make another point , most of these websites with engine casting numbers like Nasty Z28 , those are INTERCHANGE numbers , meaning they are saying a one year only engine block or head , was used for 3-5 years , which just isn't the case. Your 283 head you just posted was only used in 1966 and 1967 specifically to 283 and not 327. Theres a ton of bad info on some of these "sites" if your comparing to trucks and by year/applications.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:32 AM   #19
1966 K10

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I always take internet data with a grain of salt and even double checking against other sites is useless as most just copy from each other not an actual manual or spec sheet.

I have to say I love fleet vehicles, I recently sold a 58 3100 fleet panel van that was used by Southern California Gas and still have a 59 3600 Dept. of Labor truck. Surprised to see some things in a fleet like radio and deluxe heater, the whole spid and build sheet really make it more interesting to me since you can really take it back to how it was and know for sure. For my older fleet trucks I dont have that pressure to do it exact and can feel good making it correct for the year.