The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2022, 08:30 PM   #1
Yeller

New member and truck

Old guy, new old truck. Lucked into a 62 chevy c10. It was gifted to me and I really don’t know much about it’s history. It is supposed to have a cadillac 331 engine. That is mated with an unknown automatic floor shift transmission. It looks like someone did a creative resto on it a few years back but it was driven a bunch and left in the sun too much. It really does look good but some corners are showing ugly bubbles. My first post here so will try to be brief. I know there’s a lot of info on the site to look at and I will start there. I am looking for advice on the paint issue as well as swapping the caddi engine for a chevy…anyway great site you all have here, cheers.
Attached Images

Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:47 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: New member and truck

Welcome to the forum. This is the place to find info and share your progress. Nice truck by the way.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:11 PM   #3
cwcarpenter98

Welcome!

On the paint issue, there's a high chance the bubbling you see is the metal rusting under the paint.

Please post up some pictures of the engine and transmission when you get a chance. I bet someone here can identify what you have just by looking at a picture

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:01 AM   #4
Yeller

Yeah those ugly bubbles are rust, lol, thanks for the pro tip. It has a lot of small things and a few big things that I am looking forward to figuring out. When the rain lets up I will grab a tarp and start looking closer. It literally was given to me 5 days ago so yeah, thereÂ’s that. It runs pretty smoothly and has ok power, the shocks are worn out and the steering is very soft/mushy. The seat springs on the drivers side sag. Looking forward to reading a lot of old threads to get some ideas. I will definitely post some pics when the rain stops for a couple days. Great forum site, plenty of people have done the work and documented it here before me so I am going to do some reading. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:04 AM   #5
Braunschweiger

Hello and welcome, you have a great truck. This forum is just great.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:14 PM   #6
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Welcome.
Baby moons with white letters out is so perfect nostalgia.
Congratulations on the truck.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:45 PM   #7
Yeller

I am really stoked. It needs a lot of work but looks fine from a distance. I did find all the dmv paperwork from its origin in Santa Rosa so that was cool. Theres no build sheet on mods so I will be figuring that out. House and garage burned down awhile back so am waiting on rebuilding that to undertake anything big. I remember how much I don’t like rolling under a truck in the mud without a shop for now. Played with stereo wires today to find out the faceplate is getting power but not powering up.. its an older jensen model that should be easy to replace since the po had cut the dash to install.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:21 PM   #8
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeller View Post
Yeah those ugly bubbles are rust, lol, thanks for the pro tip. It has a lot of small things and a few big things that I am looking forward to figuring out. When the rain lets up I will grab a tarp and start looking closer. It literally was given to me 5 days ago so yeah, thereÂ’s that. It runs pretty smoothly and has ok power, the shocks are worn out and the steering is very soft/mushy. The seat springs on the drivers side sag. Looking forward to reading a lot of old threads to get some ideas. I will definitely post some pics when the rain stops for a couple days. Great forum site, plenty of people have done the work and documented it here before me so I am going to do some reading. Thanks.
Of course reading old threads is good info, but I for one am happy to answer any question I can whether it has been asked before or not. Truthfully, they've all probably been asked before but if people don't ask them again, the activity on the ol' forum really slows to a crawl. Welcome and nice truck. How strange to have an old Caddy motor, but very cool at the same time
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:44 PM   #9
Getter-Done

I like the Truck.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:34 AM   #10
Braunschweiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Of course reading old threads is good info, but I for one am happy to answer any question I can whether it has been asked before or not. Truthfully, they've all probably been asked before but if people don't ask them again, the activity on the ol' forum really slows to a crawl. Welcome and nice truck. How strange to have an old Caddy motor, but very cool at the same time
Thanks, great attitude. I know of other forums where the old members respond annoyed to recurring questions. However, I have read a lot here in the forum

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:24 AM   #11
LostMy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
Thanks, great attitude. I know of other forums where the old members respond annoyed to recurring questions. However, I have read a lot here in the forum
This is the friendliest forum you'll ever be a member of. Seriously.
And it's the most family friendly too.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 05-14-2022, 11:32 AM   #12
LostMy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeller View Post
I am really stoked. It needs a lot of work but looks fine from a distance. I did find all the dmv paperwork from its origin in Santa Rosa so that was cool. Theres no build sheet on mods so I will be figuring that out. House and garage burned down awhile back so am waiting on rebuilding that to undertake anything big. I remember how much I don’t like rolling under a truck in the mud without a shop for now. Played with stereo wires today to find out the faceplate is getting power but not powering up.. its an older jensen model that should be easy to replace since the po had cut the dash to install.
Your house burnt down?
Were you caught in some of those Cali wildfires?
Also, if the truck runs and drives, then you can take the work slow and enjoy the truck.
Myself, I've never really did a build - I tinker and keep it mobile so I can use and enjoy it whenever and then when life hits with it's hiccups, you don't have a stripped down truck just sitting.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 05-14-2022, 12:42 PM   #13
Yeller

Yeah Sept 8 2020 saw a lot of houses in the area go up, Slater Fire”. About 200 houses in a very rural area. I think southern oregon had some major fires that day also. We pretty much lost everything. Had a 61 ford 4x4, a 75 cj, 03 ktm 640, 80 honda trail, burned beyond recognition…..and the list goes on, all my hand and air tools, fireproof gunsafes didn’t save anything.…luckily we had insurance, most didn’t. We got out and I towed 3 boats out to town but didn’t get to go back in after the fire closed the road. So this was a cool way to get my mind in the right place.. I drove it around a little yesterday, wow the front shocks are bad….like a rolling marshmellow.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:54 PM   #14
cwcarpenter98

Dang, that's a bummer on the fire. Seeing pictures of old cars that got claimed by the fire always makes me a little sad.

Those shocks were probably replaced a long time ago
If you don't have a sway bar on the front, that's a great mod to improve the cornering feel. I put one on mine and it made a world of difference

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:59 PM   #15
Yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Dang, that's a bummer on the fire. Seeing pictures of old cars that got claimed by the fire always makes me a little sad.

Those shocks were probably replaced a long time ago
If you don't have a sway bar on the front, that's a great mod to improve the cornering feel. I put one on mine and it made a world of difference
I had to go look for the sway bar. I don’t know what the stock suspension should look like but I thought it should have coils with torsion bars, I must have bad eyes because I am not seeing the coils. Would someone remove them in a lowering effort? Both pics are the rf from the front and behind.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2022, 07:18 PM   #16
AcampoDave

Yeah, no coils. The torsion bar is the spring. That was a 60-62 thing. I had a '61 for a while in the 90's and I know people adjust the right height by turing some kind of adjustment but I just kept mine stock. Somebody here knows how though.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:04 AM   #17
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Welcome aboard!

I see you are in Happy Camp.....I'm not to terribly far from you in Cave Junction. Hope to see the truck around these parts sometime!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:58 AM   #18
The Rocknrod

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=659224&page=3
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote