The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2021, 02:57 PM   #1
crsgmc

Doors

1996 GMC K1500 Standard Cab

When I purchased the truck a few years ago, it was rough. The drivers door could not be closed without lifting the door when you closed it. I replaced the pins and bushings and the doors had almost no play. The drivers side was still drooping about 1/4 of an inch. The passenger side was a good inch. I jacked the door and had everything nicely aligned. Both doors still have to be shut forcefully to get them to close. If I lower one window a half an inch the door shuts very easily. The door has vents in the interior and then the air escapes through the rear side of the door. This seems like this should do the trick to release the air pressure, when closing the door. The point of release is outside of the weather stripping. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it, or is the best you are going to get.
crsgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:45 PM   #2
brownsville

Re: Doors

get some pictures of the hinge area and where the door is almost shut not hitting the striker. that will help just having pictures. have u tried adjusting the latch and striker?
brownsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:25 PM   #3
EVRLET

Re: Doors

The interior vent was a horrible design on the door. That’s why GM placed the vents on the lower back of the cab on the NBS trucks (99-06). I own three OBS trucks, 2 extended cabs and a 2dr Tahoe. Only the Tahoe closes with ease. The other trucks you have to use some force to shut it. I think the majority OBS owners still has to use some force after aligning and replacing everything. Some force doesn’t mean slamming it like you’re pissed off at the world. The minority OBS owners got lucky with an easy shutting door. If I open my side pop out windows, the doors shut fine too. It’s a positive pressure thing