The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
SixOneC10

late model cross member swap WHO DONE IT?

hey sorry if this is a repost but i might be too new to search the forums. earlier it wouldnt let me and now when i click the link nothing happens.

anyways i really wanna slam my truck and since its a 61 i need to ditch the standard front end for coils. so i wanted to ask who has done the later model cross member swap and how you like it. and if you have slammed it on coils or bags how low can it go. i dont have the $2500+ for a whole new cross member and control arms. and is there any year preference on the cross member

THANK YOU
SixOneC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Eagar1

Re: late model cross member swap WHO DONE IT?

You are going to have a little more work with the 61 as the 67-87 front crossmembers are not a direct bolt in like they are for the 63-66.
The preferrable swaps are the disc front ends from the 71 and newer. I have heard that only 2 or 4 of the 14 or so bolts will line up on yours and you will have to drill the rest, and perhaps even reinforce the frame.The later model crossmembers after 73 have the rubber a-arm bushings and sway bars, and you can use drop spindles, bag it, and adapt the power steering.
personally, I had a 62 and really liked the ride of the torsion bar suspension, so its up to you to decide. I have a 63 C20 that had drums, and I used the complete crosmember from a 72 C20 so I got the 8 lug front discs, V8 springs, etc. and am adapting a 75 power steering box and later model booster with adapter plates from CaptainFab on this board.
Alot of members have alot more experience with this than I do, but I thought I would just give you my 2 cents worth. Good luck with your build!
Eagar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Oklahoma

I just dod mine a few weeks ago, and its ok. I think if I were to do it all over again, I would keep the torsion bar setup and just buy a disc brake setup with drop spindles. Just my 2 cents
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
SixOneC10

i do like how my front end rides now but i want to bag my truck so i need to switch. also im concerned about how the front will ride with the t-bars relaxed since i have so much roll already. i want to slam it cheap right now then when i get the cash do a nice swap
Old 09-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
Eagar1

Might be a little radical, but you could section your frame to keep the bars at their curent setting. Just an idea, I think there is a thread on the board somewhere that did that.
Eagar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:40 AM   #6
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

My friend used drop spindles and put bags in the stock control arms after the torsions were removed. Just cut a plate and bolt the bag in there. The hard part is removing the torsions, so he told me.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:22 AM   #7
SixOneC10

I've thought about doing that but I don't know how long you can go. Any clue how low your friends truck can go?
Old 09-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

It doesnt lay frame but is very low. Unless you start body mods, the front inner fenders will always hold the truck up. They end up sitting on the front tires and how low becomes a matter of tire diameter. I just changed from 20's to 15's and now I'm about an 1'' of the ground.......cant get my jack out!
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
SixOneC10

Haha yeah I know about the whole jack deal. I had a 63 bug that I had tto drive up onto these home made wood blocks tlhen stick a jack under it. Yeah I might just check into bagging the front with the stock arms.

Other then suicide doors.com you know of another site with all. The little air bag nick nacks?