The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2021, 12:05 AM   #51
Just call me Sean

Re: Smaller/thinner rear brake drum? Deep rear steelies won't fit!

This is a drum from my G20. It doesn't look as thick on the face as yours. Has the 2 3/4 brakes.
Attached Images

Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:10 AM   #52
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Spartan locker is basically what's called lunchbox locker..it replaces the spider gears in a standard diff..
10 and 12 bolt rear have C clips that hold the axles in...you'll have to disassemble the spartan to get the axles out

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:13 AM   #53
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_mpg View Post
So there's a salvage yard within a mile of my house; I'll swing by there tomorrow, hopefully, to take a peek at some trucks to see if they might have a complete rear-end setup with the smaller brakes.

I have a few questions, though....

1) This rear end is a 12-bolt with a Spartan locker. I'm not sure how that works; anyone with any experience there? I looked up several youtube viddies on how to remove axles from a 10-bolt, but haven't looked up the 12-bolt yet. Are they the same? Even with the Spartan locker?

2) Will swapping from the 2 3/4" brakes to the 2" rear brakes impact any part of the rear axle fitment? Meaning.....when I remove 3/4' of the brake width (swapping from the 2 3/4" wide shoes to the 2" wide shoes), does that play into the length of the axles, brake drum, etc? Or will it all come together just fine? Or will the axles now be 3/4" strong on the ends? I'm guessing it will be fine...but this is all new for me, so I'm trying to think ahead

3) Are the rear brakes the same (meaning 2" brakes) for a 10-bolt as they are for a 12-bolt? I have a feeling I might only find the 2" brakes on 10-bolt rear ends, and the 12-bolts will all have the 2 3/4" shoes. Just an assumption on my part, but being that the 2 3/4" are heavier duty brakes, seems they'd all be found on 12-bolts....but maybe that's not true at all.

I'm going to go poke around in the salvage yard/boneyard to see what I might discover. They usually have a decent selection of old stuff....but it's getting thinner and thinner each time I go looking for older stuff. I just want to put eyes on a 2" rear brake setup, hopefully from 12-bolt rear-end. Maybe I can buy backing plates and springs/other hardware from the boneyeard, then get some new shoes and drums to complete the swap.

Thanks for all the positive input! I've never busted into my own rear diff, so this is uncharted territory for me. I wouldn't even consider it if it weren't for your comments and encouraging remarks - so THANK YOU!
The axles are the same length specific to the housing.

You can take a HD drum set-up & install it on another standard 12-bolt housing or even one of the earlier pre-70 housings. The brakes swap over as an entire set-up which requires the backing plate that have a deeper offset which provides room for the wider shoes/drums w/o impacting axle/rear housing width requirements.

As for doing the work.... Start off by helping yourself. Practice first. Take the rear wheels off & remove the drums. Take one side apart to help understand what to expect (tension/force/effort). When everything related to the brakes is apart, put that side back together. You'll be able to reference where things go by looking @ the opposite side. Make sure you can complete the diassembly/reassembly process before advancing to removing axles & brake backing plates.

Even when you do the actual swap, do one side @ a time. It'a always a benefit for the novice to have a visual reference to work with.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-25-2021 at 12:21 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:14 AM   #54
vintage_mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
This is a drum from my G20. It doesn't look as thick on the face as yours. Has the 2 3/4 brakes.
Boy...I agree. I think your drums don't have that taller outer lip like mine.

We'll know more once the part arrives. Fingers crossed!
vintage_mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:15 AM   #55
vintage_mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The axles are the same length specific to the housing.

You can take a HD drum set-up & install it on another standard 12-bolt housing or even one of the earlier pre-70 housings. The brakes swap over as an entire set-up which requires the backing plate that have a deeper offset which provides room for the wider shoes/drums w/o impacting axle/rear housing width requirements.
Right on. This is good info!

Thank you for that input....
Old 09-25-2021, 11:35 AM   #56
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Grinding on the wheel instead of solving the fitment issue correctly seems a bit crazy to me. But to each their own.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:27 PM   #57
vintage_mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Grinding on the wheel instead of solving the fitment issue correctly seems a bit crazy to me. But to each their own.
I'm with ya; it would definitely be a "last resort" option....
Old 09-28-2021, 06:27 PM   #58
ShortHaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_mpg View Post
I'm with ya; it would definitely be a "last resort" option....
So I've had this EXACT problem you're dealing with here... I had a 70 SWB that had a 5 lug rear end swap, turns out it was out of a squarebody with a big brake (2 3/4") system... I bought the 15x10 wheel vintiques steelies and was dead set on running them... I went through just about every option you've described, spacers, grind down the drums, spend an arm and a leg on a whole new rear end... etc etc.

What I ended up going with was replacing the brakes, from backing plate to drum, with a set of smaller 2" wide 5x5 drums off a 71-72 (and maybe on up to 73+) I have it all written up here.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=766038

Basically the hardest part was sourcing the backing plates for the smaller drums. Literally every other part of the brake system is available from NAPA...

I got new backing plates from a member on here, and bought the rest of the parts new and swapped it all. Bolted up fine and mounted those badass 15x10's and never looked back.

Good luck, let me know if this helps or if you have any questions.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...49#post8769049
”Otis” 1970 C10 SWB -SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=762766
”Chebby” 1962 Impala LS/TKO-500
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...2-Impala-Build
ShortHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:47 AM   #59
SCOTI

It should be easier to find a 12bolt 5x5 pattern w/standard brakes than it is to find one w/HD brakes.

Perhaps there's even a board member that would be interested in a straight up swap??
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:09 PM   #60
vintage_mpg

So I swapped drums...and I think I'm good to go!

Only able to find one rear drum at this point...but another is supposedly on the way.

Check it out:
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2021, 03:28 AM   #61
mongocanfly
Post Whore

like it!!!!...so you only changed the drum?..what was the difference?

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:15 AM   #62
vintage_mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
like it!!!!...so you only changed the drum?..what was the difference?
Yep - I swapped the rear drums as @Nick_R_23 suggested....and they just - fit. Tucked right in.

The fronts took a 1/4" spacer, which I didn't anticipate....but they kept kissing the tie rod ends. The spacer took care of that, as far as I can tell. I give up 1/4" of wheel stud length - is that anything I should be concerned about? It's not ideal, I realize...but there is still a good 3/4" - 1" of thread sticking through the wheel. Think that's sufficient? With the tapered acorn-style lug nuts? Thanks @ShortHaul for his thread that chased down the same issues! The spacer worked for my fronts as well - so much appreciated.

I have yet to take it for a drive, so I may be celebrating a bit prematurely, but so far they all look like they're going to work! Wahoo!

I may need to put her on the road for a day or two to see what shakes out, but so far I'm feeling very positive. And it looks absolutely killer! More pics to come...

Thank you so much for everyone's help! I love this place!
Old 10-04-2021, 12:26 AM   #63
vintage_mpg

So I finally got the wheels and tires sorted out....and took her for a shakedown run this morning and found her pouring fuel from the dual-tank valve. Awesome. Haha. Three steps forward, two steps back.

It's the single-wire, 6-port valve. Guessing those are almost impossible to find these days?

This is going to take a new thread, most likely! Haha. Darn trucks!