The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
greywuuf

'68 C60 project opinions requested

Hey all, I am in a bit of a quandry and was wondering what you all thought about my project. I have a '68 ( I think.... might be newer i forget what my papaerwork says) heavy C-60. 427 tall deck 5 speed 2 sp rear. #19,200 rear axle #1100 front Air brakes and 20" (tube type) Daytons wheels. ( picture of the beast has been posted in other threads)

I have had the old girl with a busted block for about 10 years, I was always intending to do a BIGASSTRUX type pickup with it. several problems arise following that line of mods. one is that there are no easy ways to make a factory looking bed for it, the second is the brakes and the springs and in general it is WAY to heavy to be a decent Daily driver.. would be stiff as a buck board etc. I could always update the running gear to lighter duty stuff ( possibly 4x4 ) loose the 2 speed gain modern tubeless tires and have a heavy one ton when I was finished.

more and more the original character of the beast has caught my imagination... I LIKE 2sp axles... I like gear jammin and i might put the divorced T case in it just to have an extra lever ... also going to get PTO's and hydralics... for the winches and possibly a plow.

have considered putting my gas genset/welder on a flat bed and using it as a light duty toy hauler/recovery rig... just not sure which direction to go here.....

i like the idea of having a powered front axle in it, but I dont see that without changing them both out, like the idea of updating the tire size and loosing the daytons, but I kinda like it original and heavy duty as well ( have access to a pair of 20'+ 10k goosenecks and have some amphibious track rigs that we haul around ocassionally too so the heavy brakes and axle are kinda nice there )

any one have any idea's suggestions or has ever dreamed of a big little truck?

Chime in and lets hash it out !

I tend to get stuck at this point.... right now the options are endless once I decided i second guess myself.... this is the fun part.. talking about what might be!

Dan 9 suffering through a long cold winter in Alaska )
greywuuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: '68 C60 project opinions requested

what about finding a newer 2ton or so with the modern stuff already on it and swapping stuff that way, you would get like discs, power steering, motor(diesel) and the trans/rear you are looking for. then you could also shorten the WB a bit to put a pickup long bed or maybe a flatbed on her.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
greywuuf

Re: '68 C60 project opinions requested

I have thoguht about that....though by the time I find a newer truck with the stuff I want, I want one of them too ( IE: 95-2001 topkick.... Love that body, and I could get a factory crewcab as well) also not in love with the cat motors.... would rather have a cummins or since this is a toy truck anyway .. a 4-53T detroit. If I keep this body style I am still fabbing a bed and have not decided how that will look. I am kinda leaning towards a straight 10' flatbed ( for hauling my weasel) or a slightly shorter beavertail diamond plate wrecker style bed. I also find myself being the one called in the middle of the night to help my buddies out of a ditch, with frozen pipes, frozen trucks, dropped through the ice or whatever. I may just leave her heavy ... two speed and air.... toss the welder the back and I will be set with weight, traction, chains generator lights welders jump starters air. She wont be "earning" a living, but she will be a working girl still. one thing i just noticed though.... rockwell axles (front) are available with a 6.72 ratio.... my tall gear in the two speed is listed as 6.71...hmmm might be worth looking into dropping an axle under the front. anyone ever swapped daytons to budds ? wonder if it is even possible on this big eaton rear ?

keep em coming
Thanks
Dan
greywuuf is offline   Reply With Quote