The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
IndyAnne

IndyAnne: 88 Chevy K1500

Meet my truck: 1988 Chevy K1500 Silverado 4WD automatic transmission/gas , long bed, 2-door extended cab -- around 162,000 miles as of today, 3/25/10.

It’s an old truck, for sure, but if possible, I would like to drive it for a long time. I need it about six times a year to tow my vintage Airstream on short family trips, and as a second vehicle in the family. Besides, everybody loves you if you have a truck, especially with garden season opening up and mulch-hauling to do.

I am focusing on the interior at the moment. As I go along, I am also finding people who can help me with a few exterior and mechanical safety issues like the lights, brakes, wheels – I think you call it “running gear” -- and some body work. The 4WD works well. The transmission is sounding growly, so who knows how long it will last?

The engine seems to be doing well. I think the engine has been replaced sometime in the past. I’ve been told it’s ok, and is the correct 350, 5.7 L, tfi. I’m starting to understand more about what all of that means. The 4WD worked just great in all of our snowbound days back in January and February, so I’m content in that department for now. I am a little worried about something strange that happens when I put it in 4WD and in reverse, something seizes up and makes a lot of noise. Someone said to check the back brakes. OK – that’s a safety concern, so I’ll be checking that out right away. Meanwhile, out in the driveway …

As for the transmission, aside from its chronic growly sound that moves into the back of my head on the highway, I need to learn more about the gear ratios. I mean, what if I want to tow the Airstream to Michigan for steelhead season? Fly fishing is my other passion, and when the hatches hit, you gotta go, you gotta go. I don’t think I’ll be considering Montana or North Carolina with this truck, maybe later when the job situation improves, and I can find something beefier. At the moment, it seems that I have sufficient torque to get around this mostly flat and only sporadically hilly state and its state parks where we go most often.

I got this truck in the first place because I lost my job, I had to sell my darling best buddy, Big Bertha, 2002 Silverado 6.6L, Duramax Diesel 2500 HD Allison tranny, 4WD with tow package, to get out from under the monthly payments. Did I cry and sulk when those nice people drove away with her from the bank that morning? We tried to be a one-car family for a few months, but seeing the Airstream up on stands, and missing some appointments because of no ride, I was going nuts.

My neighbor has a body shop and somehow traded for this truck with a customer, worked on the body so that she looks really sharp outside. I gave him a bit too much money for her because it turns out Neighbor was less than forthcoming about some issues, and I was a bit too eager and blinded by a shiny red finish. So, here I am, nickel and diming from my odd jobs, taking it easy on repairs, and saving up for the inevitable new tranny.
By the way: why am I posting on this forum? Because, when I am working on a project and use Google to find what I need in instructions or other people’s experiences, more often than any other site, this site pops up with what I am looking for. But, it’s not perfect: I think the site is great for people, mostly guys, who have a lot of experience as mechanics. The little steps needed by a newbie are just not there. Maybe I can chip in with some of these newbie steps for others who are also needing these basics. I am unemployed and I like to write.

Please chip in – corrections, better photos, advice are all welcome. Please be patient with a newbie, and try to explain it like I am a ten-year-old (that’s how old my child is, and that’s how I have to explain stuff.). Thanks!

Next installment: the trip odometer: repair, replace, or go vintage?
Attached Images

Last edited by IndyAnne; 03-25-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: having trouble linking photo
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote