The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2022, 10:51 PM   #1
custom10nut

Replacing Rocker panels.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult is it to remove the old and install new Rocker panels?
My cab corners are solid as is the floor, so the rockers are the only piece that need replaced.
I’ve read before, that drilling out the spot welds, and the old should pop out.
Then the new is welded back in place. Is there body seam sealer where the panels meet?
Sounds easy but I’ve also seen and read about the misalignment horror stories.
That’s my fear
It’s been a while, but I’ve done body work, and can weld.
I just don’t want to create a mess by attempting something beyond my abilities.
Any tips/pointers/advice anyone can give me?
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:13 PM   #2
Willowrun

Re: Replacing Rocker panels.

My advice is to try to save as much of the original metal as possible which typically means sectioning out only the metal that needs to be replaced out of the replacement panel. Use butt welds when doing this type of repair.

If the majority of the rocker is bad to the spot welds or around the top into the floor then probably just replace the whole thing. Cut out original spot welds with spot weld cutter.

Keep the doors on if at all possible and if you do replace the whole rocker use screws to hold it into place so you can check door gap alignment prior to welding. Check gaps often before burning it in for good.

I've never braced a cab for rockers but others have so can't say what's right there.
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 08:17 AM   #3
Jason Banks

Willowrun has given you excellent advice about saving as much original as possible. The reproduction rocker panels are not perfect. Back in the day if you got GM rockers they were a direct replacement and were shaped nearly 100% correct. If you can use the repro panels to cut pieces out of and section them in, you'll be better off.

I had to pie cut and section to get the reproduction to line up. Then I still ended up with some odd concavity in the door sill area on one side. That I ended up flattening out with filler.

Yes, you will need to seam seal along the edges in the door jamb to seal them up.

Post a picture of what you are working with?
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:14 AM   #4
72c20customcamper

Save as much of the original as possible . It can be more difficult but the end results are worth it . This is the truck I’m doing now the rockers weren’t too bad so I saved most of the original . Even though I’ve been doing body work since the 70s this guy showed me a lot of different techniques like cutting the butt weld as you go so the panel doesn’t warp .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TCR_2TFL_e0
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:57 AM   #5
HeavyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Save as much of the original as possible . It can be more difficult but the end results are worth it . This is the truck I’m doing now the rockers weren’t too bad so I saved most of the original . Even though I’ve been doing body work since the 70s this guy showed me a lot of different techniques like cutting the butt weld as you go so the panel doesn’t warp .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TCR_2TFL_e0
Since you dont have access to the back side of that rocker panel did you just leave the other piece that was under it still inside the rocker. If you left the other piece inside the rocker it might make noise if sliding back and forth.
HeavyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 10:47 AM   #6
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHauler View Post
Since you dont have access to the back side of that rocker panel did you just leave the other piece that was under it still inside the rocker. If you left the other piece inside the rocker it might make noise if sliding back and forth.
In the closeup you can see the gap as I welded and cut when I made the patch there was a only like a eighth of an inch overlap so really very little fell into the rocker . The cutoff I fished out through the hole in the front of the rocker with a magnet and needle nose pliers . There was also a hole on the inside rocker that needed fixing so I had access in two spots
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:01 PM   #7
HeavyHauler

Quote:
In the closeup you can see the gap as I welded and cut when I made the patch there was a only like a eighth of an inch overlap so really very little fell into the rocker . The cutoff I fished out through the hole in the front of the rocker with a magnet and needle nose pliers . There was also a hole on the inside rocker that needed fixing so I had access in two spots
OK I get it now. The overlap was so thin that you almost cut thru it when you were doing the cut and butt welding. Very good with access to remove any extra! Nice!
HeavyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 02:41 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

All I can say is be prepared for more rust underneath than you originally thought. Rust never sleeps, so usually the inner rocker, lower "A" pillar and side panel need to be replaced too.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 02:51 PM   #9
Louisvillekytruck

Quote:
Looks great
Louisvillekytruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 11:44 AM   #10
custom10nut

Thank y’all for all the insight.
After reading these, I think I’m not going to “Cut the whole old ones out”.
The spots on my originals are really quite small, and I’ve often thought about doing what is suggested.
My driver side has two hole about the size of a Quarter and a Nickel, and the passenger side is about as wide but about 5-6 inches long
I have new Inners and Outters both sides, I’ll not have to “Custom Fab” or do any fancy bending to “Make them fit”.
In the end, seeing these responses and advice leaves me feeling better about fixing it myself
Old 08-31-2022, 06:50 PM   #11
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvillekytruck View Post
Looks great
Even better with paint
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:13 PM   #12
Louisvillekytruck

Quote:
Even better with paint
Yes it does
Louisvillekytruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:17 PM   #13
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
All I can say is be prepared for more rust underneath than you originally thought. Rust never sleeps, so usually the inner rocker, lower "A" pillar and side panel need to be replaced too.

Gary
Absolutely.
Today I took a scraper to the Rockers today.
I pulled the sill plates and rubber seal to actually get a look at what needs replacing.
It’s actually not as much rust as I was expecting.
I was pleased with the condition of the floor panel and that I don have to repair the inner rockers.
Another thing I did today was to pull my tailgate off to see how much repair is needed on it.
Glad to find out that there’s only about a dozen little holes, none of them larger than a pencil eraser, and I can fill them with my MIG Welder.
Old 09-05-2022, 07:26 PM   #14
custom10nut

Additional Question on patching my Rockers.
I want to Butt Weld the patches in, so that there’s minimal body work to finish them.
Is it best to measure out and cut the patch, then cut the rust are out to fit the patch?
I’ve got replacement Rockers that I’m going to use for patch material, so I won’t have to do any bending to get them to fit.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:44 PM   #15
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
Additional Question on patching my Rockers.
I want to Butt Weld the patches in, so that there’s minimal body work to finish them.
Is it best to measure out and cut the patch, then cut the rust are out to fit the patch?
I’ve got replacement Rockers that I’m going to use for patch material, so I won’t have to do any bending to get them to fit.
I cut the rust out first . Mostly because you really have no idea how bad the rust is till you start cutting . Nothing worse than going to put the new piece in and the weld burns through. And now your adding more patch .

You will have to do bending and tweaking on the patch panels they aren’t exact to the OEM panels
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:03 PM   #16
custom10nut

So, I tore into both sides today, to get to the built up rust and crap that collected in there.
Tomorrow, I’m going to mark off the area and start measuring the stuff to be cut out.
Another thing I did was grind out all the little Pinholes on the inside/lower panel of my tailgate.
I’m self-teaching myself to MIG Weld, and fill in the holes.
So far it’s going pretty well.
I figure by the time I get the tailgate done, I’ll be skilled enough to tackle the Rocker Panel patching.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:42 PM   #17
custom10nut

Here’s the Work on my tailgate completed
I’ll send update pictures on the Rockers as I go.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2023, 02:38 AM   #18
Belsh

Hey custom, how did you get on with the rockers? They're on my list of jobs so be interesting to see how you got on. Cheers
Belsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:07 AM   #19
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

I had to do mine. I’ve restored plenty of Chevrolet muscle cars and I must say this was one of the most time consuming and difficult. More time will be spent fitting and trimming than on most weld in jobs.
Attached Images

ghackett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:12 AM   #20
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Another pic.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2023, 09:01 AM   #21
Belsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghackett1 View Post

I had to do mine. I’ve restored plenty of Chevrolet muscle cars and I must say this was one of the most time consuming and difficult. More time will be spent fitting and trimming than on most weld in jobs.
cheers Ghackett, fills me full of confidence seeing as I'm new to body work, always stuck to mechanicals in the past. Maybe once I've had a go at these I'll go back to that way of thinking haha
Belsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 09:50 AM   #22
ghackett1
68 C10 Longbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belsh View Post
cheers Ghackett, fills me full of confidence seeing as I'm new to body work, always stuck to mechanicals in the past. Maybe once I've had a go at these I'll go back to that way of thinking haha
You’re very welcome. Another tip — try or be sure to gingerly peel the skin away at the (4) bolt on side areas AND the seat belt bolt hole area. Once you get it peeled back to the frame and trimmed close then start fitting the inner first and then outer and then install those (5) bolts to help line it up. With the bolts tight and the door gap at the bottom correct then tack your patch in. (Inner first then outer) — Then open & close the door as many times as necessary to keep checking gaps then correct the weld dots.