The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2021, 08:33 AM   #1
biketopia

Headers for big inch SBC

Looking to see what people are using for a good fitting header that tucks up in the frame. I've read the posts about Chevelle headers but those all seemed to be for big blocks. I have a 71 that is getting a No Limit front cross member and I'm installing my 427 SBC I have in my camaro. It will be static dropped on coil overs like 5/7 ish maybe more, so I'd like to keep the exhaust tucked up in the frame as much as possible. What good headers that won't choke the engine would you guys recommend?

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:09 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Headers for big inch SBC

I would try big tube SBC headers for a front steer car (Chevelle/2nd GEN f-body). The car headers seem to fit decently on a truck & don't hang as far below like typical truck spec units.

Beyond that, there's always buying truck spec headers & cutting them up to make them fit how you need so they don't hang as low or do one of the 'DIY' header kits where you piece what you want together & then have them welded up.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:10 PM   #3
Lee H

I've been running these for about 10 years now. The headers and the exhaust are between the frame rails until after the differential, the only place they are below the frame rail. Latest dyno pull 355HP & 410FT 383 at rear wheels.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-68608
Attached Images

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:32 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
I've been running these for about 10 years now. The headers and the exhaust are between the frame rails until after the differential, the only place they are below the frame rail. Latest dyno pull 355HP & 410FT 383 at rear wheels.
1.625" primary tube 3/4 length headers work well for clearance but many feel the tube size restricts a >400ci built/non-stock engine. A 427 SBC (or even some fairly aggressive 383's) would def benefit w/some 1.75" primary tube headers of similar construction but for some reason they aren't made.

There is an argument to be made either way as far as how much is 'lost' using one over the other. Ultimately, it boils down to the combo & the end users wants.
Your RWTQ/HP numbers are nice for sure though!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #5
Lee H

You are correct. Room in the bay is also a concern. As it is I had the clearance the passenger frame rail about 1/2" and notch/re-enforce both totally tubular engine stands. Compromise, compromise, compromise.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:08 PM   #6
Mike C

I'd move the motor back to the 6 cylinder spot and look at C3 Corvette headers.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #7
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
You are correct. Room in the bay is also a concern. As it is I had the clearance the passenger frame rail about 1/2" and notch/re-enforce both totally tubular engine stands. Compromise, compromise, compromise.
Yea I'd like to keep full length headers on it, its a pretty healthy runner, 540+hp on the engine dyno. I've reached out to No limit to see if they had any recommendations as well. I know a few guys in hot rod shops close by, I'm going to get them too keep an eye out for headers from cars they end up swapping so I can test fit without paying for and shipping boxes back and forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I'd move the motor back to the 6 cylinder spot and look at C3 Corvette headers.
The no limit cross member is set up for either SBC/BBC or LS mounts when you order it i did SBC. I don't think there is an option to move it, I also haven't taken it out of the box so I could be wrong. In the next few weeks I'm finally moving into a place with a garage so I can get the chassis blasted and start mocking all those pieces up!

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 02-04-2023, 06:24 PM   #8
MySons68C20

I know this thread is a couple years old so...
What headers did you end up with biketopia?
I'm wanting to order long tubes with 1.75" primaries for the 383 but having a heck of time figuring out what works.
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:25 AM   #9
biketopia

Talk about a walk down memory lane! So I haven't bought anything yet. I moved and then got married now have an 8 month old so my garage time has been scarce. I am finally working on the truck again, but not near ready to sling the engine and trans in. I've seen a few threads here and on FB about this same topic and people post pics of good looking fitment, then don't reply with what the application was. If you pull the trigger on something keep us updated!! 1.75 primaries is definitely the way I want to go, on the engine dyno my set up made north of 530hp.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 02-07-2023, 08:27 AM   #10
MySons68C20

Hey, thanks for the reply! I will keep you in the loop as I dive down yet another rabbit hole
That engine is a runner for sure!
Old 02-07-2023, 09:24 AM   #11
MySons68C20

The only 1 3/4" primary longtubes set I can find is the Hooker Super Comps.
I'm going to order the painted ones and test fit before Cerakoting.
The Holley site says they'll fit.....we'll see.

https://www.holley.com/products/exha.../parts/2840HKR
Old 02-07-2023, 10:13 AM   #12
SCOTI

Look into these maybe.... They're intended for a g-body Malibu but more than one truck of mine has utilized A/G body headers w/success.

https://www.holley.com/products/exha...arts/2551-2HKR
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-07-2023, 11:31 AM   #13
MySons68C20

Hmm, those look interesting. Maybe I'll order both and ship back the one that doesn't fit.

The 2551's are less than half the price of the 2840's.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:57 AM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySons68C20 View Post
Hmm, those look interesting. Maybe I'll order both and ship back the one that doesn't fit.

The 2551's are less than half the price of the 2840's.
And.... 409 SS material.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-08-2023, 07:55 AM   #15
biketopia

o0o0o0o definitely let me know if you go with the 2551's and how they fit.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 02-08-2023, 06:00 PM   #16
LS short box

So its takes some time but maybe build the headers yourself? On my 67 Nova LS swap it was a sleeved LS2 stroked to 427 cubes. The engine builder said 1 7/8" would be the best. Small to medium cam it did 490 RWHP. Ran great.
So there was nothing that I could buy off the shelf. Locally there is a guy that builds headers for the dirt track guys. I contacted him and he was more than happy to tell me how to build a header.
The best tip was coming out exhaust flange keep the tube as straigth as you can for as long as you before heading down. Then make a bracket the has 4 holes that you aim the tubes for.
I like to fab stuff so I enjoyed the fab work. Bought the exhaust flanges and a couple of boxes of bends from Summit.
See pics. I know they not equal length but the dyno tuner said they looked and worked great.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:25 PM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
So its takes some time but maybe build the headers yourself? On my 67 Nova LS swap it was a sleeved LS2 stroked to 427 cubes. The engine builder said 1 7/8" would be the best. Small to medium cam it did 490 RWHP. Ran great.
So there was nothing that I could buy off the shelf. Locally there is a guy that builds headers for the dirt track guys. I contacted him and he was more than happy to tell me how to build a header.
The best tip was coming out exhaust flange keep the tube as straigth as you can for as long as you before heading down. Then make a bracket the has 4 holes that you aim the tubes for.
I like to fab stuff so I enjoyed the fab work. Bought the exhaust flanges and a couple of boxes of bends from Summit.
See pics. I know they not equal length but the dyno tuner said they looked and worked great.
Curious about your motor described. Were sleeves oversized (bore only) or longer in length as well for piston skirt stability like the GM 7.0L block?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-08-2023, 10:53 PM   #18
LS short box

Engine details.
Started out as a new LS2 block. A car buddy out in in CA bought a 1/2 dozen LS2 blocks from a couple of Pontiac dealers that were shut down.
I had a 67 Nova with a built LS1/4L60E that ran great. But as all car guys know lets build something better.
Reading up on LS1tech.com I contacted Steve at Race Engine Development in CA. My buddy car in CA dropped off a LS2 block. RED cut out the old sleeves and installed the new Darton longer length sleeves. RED shipped me the block in a plastic well packed tote.
Per a somewhat local LS engine builder I used a Manley forged stroker kit with a 24 tooth crank wheel so I could use my current LS1 engine/trans harness. L92 heads with upgraded valve springs and push rods. LS3 intake.
Cam was 225I/230E .610 lift and 114 C/L. 2800 stall Yank converter. 91 octane tune.
Super fun to drive. It would smoke the tires at 40-50 mph. It had stock rear wheel wells so I couldn't get much tire under it. 20 MPG if driven slowly?
Pic of the LS 427 cube engine.
Featured in Chevy High Performance Magazine August 2012 with the LS1.
I'm thinking about building another using a 5.3 alum block.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2023, 11:22 PM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Engine details.
Started out as a new LS2 block. A car buddy out in in CA bought a 1/2 dozen LS2 blocks from a couple of Pontiac dealers that were shut down.
I had a 67 Nova with a built LS1/4L60E that ran great. But as all car guys know lets build something better.
Reading up on LS1tech.com I contacted Steve at Race Engine Development in CA. My buddy car in CA dropped off a LS2 block. RED cut out the old sleeves and installed the new Darton longer length sleeves. RED shipped me the block in a plastic well packed tote.
Per a somewhat local LS engine builder I used a Manley forged stroker kit with a 24 tooth crank wheel so I could use my current LS1 engine/trans harness. L92 heads with upgraded valve springs and push rods. LS3 intake.
Cam was 225I/230E .610 lift and 114 C/L. 2800 stall Yank converter. 91 octane tune.
Super fun to drive. It would smoke the tires at 40-50 mph. It had stock rear wheel wells so I couldn't get much tire under it. 20 MPG if driven slowly?
Pic of the LS 427 cube engine.
Featured in Chevy High Performance Magazine August 2012 with the LS1.
I'm thinking about building another using a 5.3 alum block.
That's exactly why I inquired actually. Fall of '22 I picked-up an '07 GMC Envoy Denali w/<150k as a flipper or to use as 'the' donor for a lower buck alum 427.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-09-2023, 09:46 PM   #20
LS short box

Contact Steve at RED. He did a great job. You have to do a final hone to fit the pistons to the bores. Steve can do it for you if you send him the pistons.
When I did my 427 Steve had 5.3 blocks in stock in case you decide to flip the Denali. Saves you the cost of shipping one out to Steve.
Old 02-17-2023, 03:09 PM   #21
MySons68C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
o0o0o0o definitely let me know if you go with the 2551's and how they fit.
I'm chatting with Summit right now to get their feedback before I order.
Will update once I get their input.
Old 02-18-2023, 11:03 PM   #22
Hilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySons68C20 View Post
I'm chatting with Summit right now to get their feedback before I order.
Will update once I get their input.
Great I am following also of what headers to get I have a 393 nascar spec engine with angle plug heads

1969 RS SS BB Camaro
1969 C10 Custom on its way downunder
Hilly is offline   Reply With Quote