The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #101
jimbosprint

Re: Converting factory AC to use R134a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
I just got a reply back from Classic Auto Air for a kit which includes the Saden-style compressor, brackets, condenser, hoses, filter/drier and hardware to update and run R134. $800 + $190 for a rebuilt and calibrated POA valve and $60 for a expansion valve. Does this sound reasonable or can I save a few putting something together myself. Sounds like everything from the firewall forward.
Sounds about right to me.
jimbosprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #102
tdangle

Hey Jimbosprint, I just finished looking thru your photo gallery. Your truck is a close twin to mine except a couple of years newer. Good work with the pictures, I never thought to document everything like you did.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #103
Davidf

Responding to thread topic (I did not read all the posts). Best I can tell, OP is converting from R12 to R134A. From the photos, it seems the original R12 condenser is being utilized. I also see a POA update tube has been installed. While this setup may work in milder northern or west coast environments, it won't work well when temps start to climb above about 90 degrees F. The R12 condenser just is not efficient enough at shedding the latent heat from the R134a refrigerant. An electric fan would help and should be considered a must. problem is, there is not enough space to fit a fan between the condenser and the hood latch support structure.

In my experience, the POA update kit is junk. You will feel it (air temp) every time the compressor cycles on/off which will be often.

Good luck.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #104
picklito

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoad View Post
Can you post the link to the series?

Thanks
Um... ya. Is this where I say, "DUH?" Sorry about that. Photo #210

http://public.fotki.com/blazbk/blaze...er1.html#media
picklito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #105
jimbosprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
Responding to thread topic (I did not read all the posts). Best I can tell, OP is converting from R12 to R134A. From the photos, it seems the original R12 condenser is being utilized. I also see a POA update tube has been installed. While this setup may work in milder northern or west coast environments, it won't work well when temps start to climb above about 90 degrees F. The R12 condenser just is not efficient enough at shedding the latent heat from the R134a refrigerant. An electric fan would help and should be considered a must. problem is, there is not enough space to fit a fan between the condenser and the hood latch support structure.

In my experience, the POA update kit is junk. You will feel it (air temp) every time the compressor cycles on/off which will be often.

Good luck.
Old Air Products told me the condenser I got is the same one they sell with their aftermarket AC kits made for 134a. It seems to work above 90 degrees. Maybe it would work better with an electric fan.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #106
jimbosprint

Quote:
Hey Jimbosprint, I just finished looking thru your photo gallery. Your truck is a close twin to mine except a couple of years newer. Good work with the pictures, I never thought to document everything like you did.
Thanks! Good job getting through over 500 photos!
Old 09-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #107
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Converting factory AC to use R134a

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklito View Post
That's the chart I was using! It was 90f in the shop and after 36oz of R134 I had 240/27psi. And yes... there was a little frost...
I would drive it for a while and then re check if it's the same then maybe add just a touch more. I think you right on the mark pretty much though!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #108
Keith Seymore

Tagging this so I can come back to it.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:14 PM   #109
picklito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I would drive it for a while and then re check if it's the same then maybe add just a touch more. I think you right on the mark pretty much though!
Definitely. Drive it and let it tell me what to do. My calculation of 80% of R12 came to 3.4ish cans and I'm at 3. That, and the fact that my low side pressure is riding the set point tells me that a little bit more might be the ticket. VERY happy so far.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #110
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklito View Post
See post #83 above. I had to drill one hole to lower the upper mounting loop about 1" because the drier is a little bit shorter than my OE. You can see Jimbo's upper loop is right at the radius of the drier. My drier sat a little lower so the loop was up around the skinnier part. Drier sits where it sits, because of the tubing, so I lowered the loop a little.
what drier and condenser did you get and where?

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #111
F.A.A.benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post
Old Air Products told me the condenser I got is the same one they sell with their aftermarket AC kits made for 134a. It seems to work above 90 degrees. Maybe it would work better with an electric fan.

That is a piccolo condenser, same as the one that Classic Auto Air has sold. They more than likely get their condensers from the same manufacturer. I saw and responded to your post on fb also about that condenser. The piccolo condenser is better than the factory tube and fin type condenser but not seen as better performing than a true parallel flow cond.
F.A.A.benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:10 PM   #112
F.A.A.benny

Quote:
I just got a reply back from Classic Auto Air for a kit which includes the Saden-style compressor, brackets, condenser, hoses, filter/drier and hardware to update and run R134. $800 + $190 for a rebuilt and calibrated POA valve and $60 for a expansion valve. Does this sound reasonable or can I save a few putting something together myself. Sounds like everything from the firewall forward.
I can rebuild your poa valve and include a new exp valve for $160
Old 09-24-2015, 11:40 PM   #113
picklito

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
what drier and condenser did you get and where?
I'm using stock condenser and the receiver drier part number in post 83 above.
I have very little time running it, but it's been surprisingly good so far. I think the key is getting the POA valve set to 26.5psi and having a very clean and dry system.

Last edited by picklito; 09-24-2015 at 11:41 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-25-2015, 01:20 AM   #114
F.A.A.benny

Those vent temps will rise in traffic or slower speeds with a factory condenser. They all do. Electric fans will help though.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:59 AM   #115
RedRoad

Any difference in quality between 4 seasons and AC Delco components? Price is almost double for Delco but most parts Ive received are made overseas these days.
RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:23 AM   #116
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.A.A.benny View Post
Those vent temps will rise in traffic or slower speeds with a factory condenser. They all do. Electric fans will help though.
Agree 100%. I did R-134 in a previous truck with factory AC. Recalibrated POA valve, flushed system, swung a dead chicken over my head, etc. Had to be doing 70 on the freeway for it to get cold on just a "warm" day.

Went with R-12 on my next truck with factory AC. It blows snowballs out the vents in 110 degree temps, sitting at a stand still in So Cal traffic. Yes it costs more than R 134 but so what? You charge it once either way and you are done. The bottom line is you want cold air and with R 12 you get it no matter what. What good is AC if it don't work?? No hoops to jump through and "hope" it works in the end with R 12.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:31 AM   #117
70's luvr

Is it possible to strip all of a R134 system from a newer vehicle to convert factory system over?
70's luvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #118
picklito

That's way more work than necessary.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #119
Eddie H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Agree 100%. I did R-134 in a previous truck with factory AC. Recalibrated POA valve, flushed system, swung a dead chicken over my head, etc. Had to be doing 70 on the freeway for it to get cold on just a "warm" day.

Went with R-12 on my next truck with factory AC. It blows snowballs out the vents in 110 degree temps, sitting at a stand still in So Cal traffic. Yes it costs more than R 134 but so what? You charge it once either way and you are done. The bottom line is you want cold air and with R 12 you get it no matter what. What good is AC if it don't work?? No hoops to jump through and "hope" it works in the end with R 12.
I agree, I used R-12 on the last factory system I rebuilt on a 71 GMC, and it blows 40 degree air out the vents on a 100 degree day, idling in traffic. I have never been a big fan of R-134, even in newer vehicles designed for it. R-12 is what these older systems were engineered for, and as long as I can still buy it, that's what I am going to use.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #120
lugnuts09

I have a 1969 c20 and am curious as if I should replace my air conditioning system or not? I bought the truck and the compressor has not been hooked up in years. Everything is original.
lugnuts09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #121
F.A.A.benny

I vote for restoring an original system. If staying with r12, flush, pressure check both the evaporator and condenser. Test the poa valve to make sure It isn't stuck. Check the screen in the exp valve. You can clean it with some brake cleaner. Replace the drier. They are cheap. Some reuse their hoses/lines if they are in good shape. Hoses should not have cracks. Buy an aluminum a6 replacement compressor. Use mineral oil. If going with 134a, replace original condenser with parallel flow condenser. Recalibrate poa valve. Some will say to replace expansion valve but an original will work fine with 134a. I'd replace the hoses. Use pag oil. All this can be done for less than an aftermarket system plus it all bolts in and you get to keep the fresh air option.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #122
lugnuts09

Awesome, thank you for the help. The system I am looking at is on a 1970 c20 and he's selling it for $350. It's all original parts. I just don't know if the parts that I have are still good. Not sure how to test them. I have all of the parts, only thing I don't have hooked up is the compressor and not sure if it's still any good.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #123
F.A.A.benny

Since you say your system is complete on your 69 c20, then I wouldn't spend the money for another system. You can use that $350 towards new parts like the compressor, drier and hoses with a little more $added to it. You can look for a local old school ac shop or I can test the parts for you. You'd have to ship them though. I restore factory ac/heater parts.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:23 AM   #124
lugnuts09

Did you guys update the evaporator or keep it original? I'm redoing the stock a.c. system on my 1969 c20.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #125
F.A.A.benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnuts09 View Post
Did you guys update the evaporator or keep it original? I'm redoing the stock a.c. system on my 1969 c20.
Replied to your pm. There are no updates to the evaporator if it's the same size. You can "update or upgrade" the poa and expansion valve setup by using a poa delete kit which most guys don't like or using an accumulator/orifice tube setup. Either way you may want to consider upgrading the steel a6 compressor to either a Sanden type or aluminium a6 replacement as those compressors are designed to cycle and they don't have the oil slinging issue that comes with the majority of steel a6 compressors.