The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2018, 12:43 AM   #26
Bad4wd

Re: Reproducing missing SPID

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966 K10 View Post
Just saw this today on a FB thread, anyone have a source for these or any reviews on performance?
Summit racing, under Coker tires.
My factory spid sheet has 7.00 x 15 tires for '66 4-Wd ....
Bad4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #27
1966 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad4wd View Post
My factory spid sheet has 7.00 x 15 tires for '66 4-Wd ....
Could you please post a pic of your spid? Thanks
1966 K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #28
1966 K10

Thanks to Jon who sent me a bunch of Fremont build and option sheets I am able to get a little closer to having an accurate reproduction spid created.

One more question, should the V37 Custom Chrome option also be listed or is it included in Z61 option?

Since the A/C is dealer install Ill just leave the bumper guards and tow hooks in that group as well.

Here is the latest
Attached Images

Last edited by 1966 K10; 01-03-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #29
VictoriaHardware

Quote:
Also the ram horn exhaust manifold has air theaded bosses which are plugged, engine conversion rpo?
All engines built for 1966 Fremont usage had all of the California-Required exhaust emissions equipment on them. Usually that meant RPO K19 - Air Injection Reactor System, or "AIR", or "smog pump". If it was being delivered to a CA Dealer, then it was good to go. If it was going to a non-CA Dealer then it was "converted" by the Fremont Plant. RPO Z20 was the conversion option and it stripped the smog pump stuff off. Sounds like yours went out of state, hence the factory-installed manifold plugs.

See :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=z20
VictoriaHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #30
VictoriaHardware

My '66 Fremont Sub has a different approach to the 3rd seat option:
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2018, 08:49 PM   #31
1966 K10

Yes the carryall lived its whole life in NV so had conversion done.

Does anyone know what order these options are supposed to be listed? In 67-72 spids they are alphabetical but the 66 spids seem to be all over the place even from the same facility.

VH, why the different code and wording on your C1466? anything special about the seat? build sheet?

I just saw this spid for a K1466 and am more confused than before.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2018, 02:08 AM   #32
Bad4wd

Quote:
Could you please post a pic of your spid? Thanks
I'm sorry, I meant my build sheet behind my seat. My spid is missing...
I have pics of my build sheet already on this site somewhere...
Dave...
Bad4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #33
VictoriaHardware

Quote:
VH, why the different code and wording on your C1466? anything special about the seat? build sheet?

I just saw this spid for a K1466 and am more confused than before.
Nothing unusual about my seat. I don't have a build sheet.

The SPID you posted is not from a Fremont truck. That may be the reason for the different wording/coding.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #34
60-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaHardware View Post
My '66 Fremont Sub has a different approach to the 3rd seat option:
Those 9000 numbers on that spid are COPO or Special Equipment option numbers. Im assuming something was different about your Suburban since it also has Special for the paint ??

9838 is Panel type driver seat replacing standard suburban seat or Supplementary seat

9868 lighter not available with custom comfort or custom camper

9842 armrest RH door , LH door not available with custom comfort option.

Like to see exactly what this all looks like ???
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #35
Keith Seymore

Edit: I was going to delete this post since I see the info is already covered. I'll go ahead and leave it here in case the different phrasing is helpful.

K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore
One more observation: the RPO ("Regular Production Option") codes are the three digit alpha numeric you may be familiar with: A94, B70, K19, G50, etc. The additional characters not part of the base RPO code. They provide additional option detail without drilling all the way down to the part number level. They eventually fell into disuse and were replaced by dummy (filler) characters or left off completely. Many of the three digit RPO codes are still in use today (or re-used, with entirely different content altogether).

Options that start with a number are SEOs ("Specialty Equipment Options"). They are still included in the assembly line build but are (typically) not used in regular commerce but are more for fleet or Medium Duty use, allowing the purchaser to tailor the vehicle(s) to their exact need. As option content was bucketed into groups in later years the SEOs were less available to mom and pop customers.

Lastly - there is variation in formatting among the assembly plants, even within the same model year. Final assembly locations were known to place the option content in different order, or with different noun names, sometimes carrying misnomers or misspellings across multiple model years.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-04-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #36
VictoriaHardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-66 View Post
Those 9000 numbers on that spid are COPO or Special Equipment option numbers. Im assuming something was different about your Suburban since it also has Special for the paint ??

9838 is Panel type driver seat replacing standard suburban seat or Supplementary seat

9868 lighter not available with custom comfort or custom camper

9842 armrest RH door , LH door not available with custom comfort option.

Like to see exactly what this all looks like ???
Interesting!

Regarding the seats. I assumed 9838 was related to the Third Row Seat. The truck has sliding windows in the rear and I thought that was part of the 3rd Seat option. When I got the truck the 2nd & 3rd seat was missing. The story is that a California Mental Hospital originally ordered it and used it as an ambulance. It seemed odd that you would order a 3rd seat knowing that it would be removed. Anyway, the front seat was still there and appears to be all original except for the recovering.

In the '90s it was transferred to a nearby Ca State prison and used by the Maintenance Dept. They promptly spilled lots of paint and paint thinner in the rear. All of the receptacles for 2nd & 3rd row seats are in the floor. Other modifications were done in the rear for either ambulance or painter duties.

Regarding the armrest. It had LH only.

Regarding the paint. The Trim tag says "SPC". It was re-painted blue in the '90s. The original color is white and I have never understood why it is "Special" because it is remarkably similar to the normal "521 White".
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2018, 11:27 PM   #37
1966 K10

Was able to get to the block stamp after 2 cans of gunk and 2 cans of brake cleaner. Looks like the RR in the door jam is the engine replacement. What I dont understand is how it could get that filthy after only 5K miles. Heads are also blue but oil stained darker. They reused the valve covers, manifolds, carb etc.

T0406R is a 327? Head marks are a single pyramid which looks like 283 PP? Its seized good, the damper moves 1/4 inch in all directions, is it a press on or bolt on? So much grease there is no gap between the cross over pipe and the oil pan. I guess dusty roads and leaks from every gasket will give you 1/4 inch of "insulation". Pulled the DS valve cover in an attempt at getting to the rear casting numbers but looks like Ill need a gallon of solvent to get all that crap off to get to them.

Gave it a comet bath, installed the horn button and fogged the wheel. Actually looks blue now not silver.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #38
60-66

Quote:
Interesting!

Regarding the seats. I assumed 9838 was related to the Third Row Seat. The truck has sliding windows in the rear and I thought that was part of the 3rd Seat option. When I got the truck the 2nd & 3rd seat was missing. The story is that a California Mental Hospital originally ordered it and used it as an ambulance. It seemed odd that you would order a 3rd seat knowing that it would be removed. Anyway, the front seat was still there and appears to be all original except for the recovering.

In the '90s it was transferred to a nearby Ca State prison and used by the Maintenance Dept. They promptly spilled lots of paint and paint thinner in the rear. All of the receptacles for 2nd & 3rd row seats are in the floor. Other modifications were done in the rear for either ambulance or painter duties.

Regarding the armrest. It had LH only.

Regarding the paint. The Trim tag says "SPC". It was re-painted blue in the '90s. The original color is white and I have never understood why it is "Special" because it is remarkably similar to the normal "521 White".
On the seats , I have a 1965 that was also an Ambulance. I was told that the rear seat was taken out at the dealer at time of delivery. Mine only had one set of slider windows so it was only a two row front and second seat. It had the normal Front Suburban seat. I also have a 1966 GMC Panel truck , it was ordered for Civil Defense . It has a Suburban front seat from the factory and the Panel truck style seat holes are plugged with a special phillips style screw that they also used to plug LH Mirror holes when West Coast JR mirrors were installed. My point is , look for a different set of holes on the drivers side , my guess is somebody put the Suburban front seat in yours after it was done being used as an ambulance. Should be a different set of holes for the panel seat ??

Under the Special Equipment section for JUST Suburban it lists 9838 as a "Panel truck style seat". Now go to the Pickup truck and Panel section ( thats how the Data book has this listed) of the Special Equipment section and it lists the same 9838 but says "Carryall Front + Auxiliary" seat or normal Suburban front seat available for a Panel truck . Same number just different meanings under different categories.

The lighter and the arm rest still have me confused. Im guessing here, that the arm rest was a different design or color than normal. The description is saying RH and LH are both available under that 9842 code , you just order TWO 9842s. The lighter ? Baffled . Cant figure out what would be "Special" here.

In these two pictures of my 66 GMC K Panel you can see the Suburban seat with the Panel truck seat holes plugged with that phillips screw.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #39
60-66

Quote:

T0406R is a 327? Head marks are a single pyramid which looks like 283 PP? Its seized good, the damper moves 1/4 inch in all directions, is it a press on or bolt on? So much grease there is no gap between the cross over pipe and the oil pan. I guess dusty roads and leaks from every gasket will give you 1/4 inch of "insulation". Pulled the DS valve cover in an attempt at getting to the rear casting numbers but looks like Ill need a gallon of solvent to get all that crap off to get to them.
The "R" as a single letter was also used as 1957 truck 283 . Hard to say what this is without a casting number. I also see Orange paint. If your engine is moving a little , its possible it has a dropped valve or seized valve train and your experiencing timing chain slop, or, something in the cylinders. What are the dates and casting numbers on the heads ?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #40
60-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Edit: I was going to delete this post since I see the info is already covered. I'll go ahead and leave it here in case the different phrasing is helpful.

K
Keith , Im glad you chimed in here ! Ive offen been told that these 9000 numbers were COPO numbers also , is that really the case or not ?

Completely different subject but one you especially could clear up. A while ago there was a pretty crazy thread about a special 1965 and a half (1966) 327 truck. Owner has claimed it has an L79 with a roller cam. Also on Facebook I ran into another guy that stated " If you had enough money , you could get ANYTHING you wanted back then " He claimed he saw an original 1966 Short Fleetside with a 396. He sited his evidence from "watching and studying Barret Jackson" ( his words) . Others here have claimed something similar " A neighbor told me you could get anything you wanted back then " . . I realize there were some "Skunk Works" or prototype vehicles made. But a vehicle moving down an assembly line or a vehicle outfitted with an L79 in 1966 that was not suppose to ever get an L79 ? I do have a legitimate story from an original owner who worked at the Jainesville plant that followed HIS 1968 L72 Biscayne down the line, as it was being built, where they did add extras , mainly because he was friends with these guys but it wasn't anything extreme like above .This "You could get anything you want back then" statement has grown into its own legend now. Anything was possible ! Hope you can shed some of your expertise on the subject please.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #41
The Rocknrod

Even it wasn't built yet for 20 years? (L79) See this is where you loose me on that story. No roller cam 327 ever was made, and a roller cam small block started in like 87? or latter.

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 01-05-2018 at 12:59 PM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #42
60-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Even it wasn't built yet for 20 years? (L79) See this is where you loose me on that story. No roller cam 327 ever was made, and a roller cam small block started in like 87? or latter.
I really dont want to debate the roller cam again Rocknrod but the L79 was used 1965-1968 but was just a normal hydraulic cam
Old 01-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #43
The Rocknrod

Quote:
I really dont want to debate the roller cam again Rocknrod but the L79 was used 1965-1968 but was just a normal hydraulic cam
Oh.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #44
1966 K10

Quote:
The "R" as a single letter was also used as 1957 truck 283 . Hard to say what this is without a casting number. I also see Orange paint. If your engine is moving a little , its possible it has a dropped valve or seized valve train and your experiencing timing chain slop, or, something in the cylinders. What are the dates and casting numbers on the heads ?
It is seized, I thought it moved a bit by pulling on the belt but all the movement is in the damper. Im done trying to clean this thing in place. As much as I wanted to leave it in place and get it running but the fact that its not the original engine doesnt make it as important anymore. The orange you see is the water pump and the red in one photo is the heater hose. Ill pull the whole thing and get the number just so I know what it is and break it down to see if its usable. If it is a 1989 rebuild maybe something is good, when I pulled the valve cover it was cleanish just looked like old black oil.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #45
VictoriaHardware

Another reason to think the A/C was Dealer installed is that the heater control face and center duct are Fawn, not matching the 'brown" on the the rest of the dash. The textured brown was used on '66 only.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #46
VictoriaHardware

Quote:
Also on Facebook I ran into another guy that stated " If you had enough money , you could get ANYTHING you wanted back then ... Others here have claimed something similar " A neighbor told me you could get anything you wanted back then " . . ...This "You could get anything you want back then" statement has grown into its own legend now. Anything was possible !
Prior to 1965 if all the parts, such as brackets/hoses/wires, were available to put a non-standard engine/trans/axle into a car, then it just may happen. "Happen" still involved "knowing somebody", or an official COPO, or a willing Dealer. That does not mean it was common- it was usually for Fleets with a unique application or clandestine racing reasons.

Around '66 exhaust emissions became a big deal, starting with California. Then the factory was required by law to certify that each engine/trans/axle combo met emissions requirements. As you can imagine that is very expensive and one reason for the great deproliferation of powertrains. Emissions requirements and Fuel Economy standards became more and more restrictive. So it became more increasingly difficult to get "Factory" special engine combos. Also the Dealers became gun-shy about making those swaps.

Back in the day things were very different, but bulletproof documentation is the still the only way you will convince someone of it being more than legend. Some things were available, but not anything you wanted.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #47
oem4me

Quote:
Prior to 1965 if all the parts, such as brackets/hoses/wires, were available to put a non-standard engine/trans/axle into a car, then it just may happen. "Happen" still involved "knowing somebody", or an official COPO, or a willing Dealer.
So, in the one case where an original buyer states his truck came from the factory with an L79, it MAY have been possible, but it would have taken some inside string pulling and purposed effort on his part to get it done? In other words, he should know exactly how it got there, right?
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #48
VictoriaHardware

I am very familiar with the L79 Corvette engine. That would not have been a trivial swap for a vehicle assembly plant. Would have involved A LOT of string pulling. So much that you would not forget it.

A swap involving something that assembled exactly the same as normal production was more do-able. In other words if the difference is completely internal.

That's it. I'm tapping out of the L79 roller cam discussion.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #49
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Since they (GM) didn't make it for another 20 years so the answer is obvious.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #50
oem4me

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Since they (GM) didn't make it for another 20 years so the answer is obvious.
Notice in my previous post that I did not even mention a roller cam, only the L-79. That said, I recently read about how our government picked through the wreckage of an alien spacecraft that crashed in Roswell, NM in the 50's, and reverse engineered some found items leading to several technological advancements including night vision lenses, and microchips. Perhaps that craft also had a roller cam engine?
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote