The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
graham1

69-72 2 Tone Trim on 67-68

Has anyone ever seen the 2 tone trim (white stripe in middle) on a 67-68 or at least with a 67-68 grill?

This is something I have been toying with the idea of for the past couple years on my truck, I love the 67-68 grills, but also love 2 tone with the white stripe down the middle along with a white roof. Seems like the two would look good together, as the white 67-68 grill would just continue the stripe around the front

Let me know what ya think and what you have seen

Thanks,
-Graham
graham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
hewittca

Re: 69-72 2 Tone Trim on 67-68

This topic has come up several times in the past month. I've seen a few thrown together like that while perusing good 'ole Craigslist, but no serious builds where it's done really cleanly. I'm a stickler for stock trim and paint combos, so it always looks weird to me. One option that there was a good consensus on the other threads was doing the 67/68 bottom trim with the 69-72 upper trim. GM almost did this combo in '68 and even did a promo shot of this setup. They painted white below the lower trim instead of in between the two.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
john@thepier

Here is one I seen in a video. Killer
Attached Images

john@thepier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:09 PM   #4
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
This topic has come up several times in the past month. I've seen a few thrown together like that while perusing good 'ole Craigslist, but no serious builds where it's done really cleanly. I'm a stickler for stock trim and paint combos, so it always looks weird to me. One option that there was a good consensus on the other threads was doing the 67/68 bottom trim with the 69-72 upper trim. GM almost did this combo in '68 and even did a promo shot of this setup. They painted white below the lower trim instead of in between the two.

are you sure someone hasn't photoshopped that? I've never seen the one with the trim - OR with a 68... (it does look nice). But I have seen THIS one, a 69, which is the pic they used in the actual sales brochure that year - so, while GM OFTEN carried pics over in brochures from year to year, they only did it when there wasn't a body style change (i.e. not 68-69). I've never seen that photo before - it's the exact same scene as the 69!! Although... the sun seems different too. Maybe they just went back to their fave photo shoot spot again in 69. And loaded the gear in the back, in exactly the same orientation. And had two guys with cowboy hats look like they are carrying on an interesting conversation It's the same, but not. Twilight zonish.
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 01-28-2018 at 11:15 PM.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:55 PM   #5
Barnfind46

I need to look through the photos at my mothers house. My Dad had a '68 cst long bed 1/2 ton and I remember that it had the stock '68 lower trim but I am sure it had the upper trim too. Roof was white and bottom was Hugger Orange. Loved that truck! Drove it in high school.He bought it in 1974 so I guess the previous owner could have added it but not sure.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
are you sure someone hasn't photoshopped that? I've never seen the one with the trim - OR with a 68... (it does look nice). But I have seen THIS one, a 69, which is the pic they used in the actual sales brochure that year - so, while GM OFTEN carried pics over in brochures from year to year, they only did it when there wasn't a body style change (i.e. not 68-69). I've never seen that photo before - it's the exact same scene as the 69!! Although... the sun seems different too. Maybe they just went back to their fave photo shoot spot again in 69. And loaded the gear in the back, in exactly the same orientation. And had two guys with cowboy hats look like they are carrying on an interesting conversation It's the same, but not. Twilight zonish.
Yes that is very interesting! I've seen this ad before, but never compared the two side by side like this. The photo I posted is one that I got directly from the GM Heritage Center. It was included in a group of stock unedited proofs. My guess is that the one I posted is the original, and the one that ended up in the ad was painstakingly airbrushed. The grill bowtie, headlights, and passengers look a bit cartoonish to me. They must have really liked that photo to go through all the trouble, versus just shooting a new photo.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
jocko

Ha, wow, that’s very interesting. Thanks! The 69 has always been one of my favorite factory photos, has been a desktop background at times, that’s probably the only reason the difference jumped out at me.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote