The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2023, 02:07 PM   #1
kens65fb

I'm disappointed in the direction this forum is headed

Each morning I anxiously check this forum for new posts.

Recently it has turned into a (For Sale By Owner) site for 1960-66 C10 Ttrucks.

Facebook market place , and Craig's List, postings, have rapidly become the norm, rather than the exception.

Posts of this type are either closed, or deleted in very short order, but continue to hang around long after they are relevant.

I became a member of this forum when I purchased a 1964 C10, and needed help with the restoration.

Many, many, of my questions were answered with the help of other members

I understand some members, myself included, are interested in seeing the value of our trucks, but there already is a subforum for posting vehicles for sale.
kens65fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:30 PM   #2
Arne

Re: I'm disappointed in the direction this forum is headed

Agree 100%. There must be a better place for this stuff. The forum (and its database) is getting cluttered up with hundreds of posts that are typically outdated and worthless in short order.

————————————
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 05:02 PM   #3
bigmoe

I check this forum most days hoping to contribute to others or learn. It's definitely lost some traffic but I'm not going to give up on it. I'm in several facebook groups for our trucks but I do find them disjointed and frustrating, kinda here in the moment and gone in days.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 05:11 PM   #4
RyanAK

I've found the forum invaluable when I owned a 67-72 and for my current '78. I'm hoping to soon be able to contribute to the 60-66 side... and pester for help. My experience with other forums ranging from bamboo flyrods to colonial living history is that it ebbs and flows. One new guy with a bunch of questions can revitalize a board and even spark interest in getting back into your stalled project. IF the new guy doesn't get the "use the search function" reception.

Once I get a rig, maybe I'll have enough questions to spark some conversation.

Maybe.

Meet 'Earl', '71 C10 Suburban - Sold, but not forgotten...

Meet... yet to be named, ‘78 K10 Suburban Daily Driver
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:29 PM   #5
cwcarpenter98

My comments below in blue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens65fb View Post
Each morning I anxiously check this forum for new posts.

Recently it has turned into a (For Sale By Owner) site for 1960-66 C10 Ttrucks. Please identify which threads have turned this site into a "For Sale By Owner" site. You can add a link to the thread and I'll take a look at it.

Facebook market place , and Craig's List, postings, have rapidly become the norm, rather than the exception. There is one thread for craigslist postings and one for Facebook listings. That thread is not for people to post their own vehicle for sale, but is there for you to share what you see out there for sale on other sites. The 67-72 and 73-87 sections have their own version of these threads. We do not have any current plans to get rid of these threads.

Posts of this type are either closed, or deleted in very short order, but continue to hang around long after they are relevant. The posts that get closed are not deleted so that the original poster can find and read the post. It also serves as somewhat of an audit trail to keep us as mods accountable.

I became a member of this forum when I purchased a 1964 C10, and needed help with the restoration. We appreciate each and every one of y'all that come to the site and make it a viable resource for many, many people.

Many, many, of my questions were answered with the help of other members

I understand some members, myself included, are interested in seeing the value of our trucks, but there already is a subforum for posting vehicles for sale. We do not put the Facebook or Craigslist threads in the trucks for sale section because the trucks for sale section is only for trucks being sold by Premium or above members.
Please let me know if you have any other questions

Thanks,
Christian

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:41 PM   #6
jayoldschool

My thoughts echo Christian's.

It's not just this site. Forums are not the info source of choice for many, they have moved on to things like Facebook. I don't do FB, like many that still embrace forums.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:09 PM   #7
bigmoe

A good search can yield a vast archive of info here as well. Not something you can do on Facebook groups.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:26 PM   #8
Arne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post

Thanks,
Christian
Can the Facebook and Craigslist threads be set to auto purge old (and probably broken link) posts? Maybe something like older than 90 days or such? The recent Facebook thread is a monster that only grows larger, even when the links die later.

————————————
Old 01-16-2023, 10:39 PM   #9
72Mountaineer

I've been a member of the 47-59 board for many years, and the info was valuable for me in the building of my 53 3100. I started in with the 60-66 stuff after my purchase of a 64 last summer. I have no complaints at all of either place, the huge amount of knowledge of the members is terrific.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:05 AM   #10
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
Can the Facebook and Craigslist threads be set to auto purge old (and probably broken link) posts? Maybe something like older than 90 days or such? The recent Facebook thread is a monster that only grows larger, even when the links die later.
I don't believe there's an easy way to do that, other than spending the man hours it takes to check every link and delete the broken ones. That's something us volunteers don't really want to spend time doing. Additionally, we usually don't delete anything from the site because that messes up the threads and could remove valuable information.

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:52 AM   #11
60-66

All you need to do is when you see that post in the list , look all the way to the right and there's an arrow right next to the posters name . Click that and you're at the newest post. Now scroll backwards . I for one LIKE the fact that he's taking the time to post newer links to trucks for sale . Then again if you don't like it, its easy to scroll to the next post . Hes putting a LOT of time and effort to update for sale adds every day , that's good for everyone !
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 02:22 PM   #12
theastronaut

I haven't found a forum yet that I liked everything about it...
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 02:41 PM   #13
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
My comments below in blue:

Thanks,
Christian
I agree. theastronaut is right also. I have never found a better forum.
The way to make the forum even better is to "contribute" posts. That's what it's all about. I mean the truth is it's yours to make better or worse.

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 01-21-2023 at 01:29 PM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 06:14 AM   #14
raylube

I only check monthy now, and would post and conribute more but had my thread /build closed by a moderator because i posted photos and comments of what a previous owner had done to my truck And got no reply from the mod when questioning why it was closed as i had not done any illegal vin tampering.i have found similar posts that are stll active. Don't feel like wasting my time uploading photos and answering and asking questions only to get shut down. But i enjoy and appreciate the wealth and knowledge and FAQs that are in this forum.
raylube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 10:42 PM   #15
Matt's k5
BLAZER THIRTY!!

I couldn't agree more with you brother.
72 HIGHLANDER K5 BLAZER 2nd owner

71 K5 MAMMA'S RIDE!
63 GMC 4X4 305 V6
62 GMC SHORT BED SERVICE BODY V6 (STUMPY)
74 GMC CUSTOM 1500 L/B
Matt's k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:21 PM   #16
pdxhall

I've been a member of the site for over 10 years and I've seen a lot of changes in the forum. When I retired I left the site for about 3 years and saw a drastic change when I came back. It seems there just isn't as much participation now than there used to be. There's only a small handful of people that regularly
have productive comments. It means a lot to get comments, questions, etc. when builders take the time to document their builds. I have learned more from this site than I can count. You can easily see the differences between now and before I retired if you check my build page. Look at recent posts and then take a look back before I retired, and you can see the differences.
Some of my family in Oregon check out what I'm doing, and I like to keep a record of my progress or I would probably quit posting.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:22 PM   #17
SCOTI

I've been around here for a few days . . ......

Traffic might not be as heavy as it once was but the people are just as good as ever. FB & IG while popular DO NOT MATCH the quality nor quantity of info to be passed along or learned from when compared to these 'enthusiast forum' type internet sites.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:12 PM   #18
Arne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
...and I like to keep a record of my progress or I would probably quit posting.
I'm a serial car rescuer. I buy needy projects, fix, finish or restore them, and then sell them so I can do it again. Lather, rinse, repeat. I rarely do anything even similar twice in a row.

But since I need to learn the nitty-gritty on each new project as I go, I hunt down and join the best forum I can find for that particular vehicle. I don't just leech, I always try to contribute where I can. If the forum has a paid membership option, I do so since I'll be learning from it.

But I also ALWAYS post a build thread as I go. Not just for the current forum members to see, but a build thread is a great sales tool when the time comes. I just give potential buyers a link and they can follow my process all the way through. Forum build threads have sold several cars for me.

So I have recent experience in half a dozen or more car forums. This is a good one, I'll agree. I do get tired of getting subscription notices of new posts in this forum only to find they are more FB finds, but I'll get over it.

————————————
Old 01-25-2023, 09:37 PM   #19
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Do you guys report the posts that you are not happy with?
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:41 PM   #20
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylube View Post
I only check monthy now, and would post and conribute more but had my thread /build closed by a moderator because i posted photos and comments of what a previous owner had done to my truck And got no reply from the mod when questioning why it was closed as i had not done any illegal vin tampering.i have found similar posts that are stll active. Don't feel like wasting my time uploading photos and answering and asking questions only to get shut down. But i enjoy and appreciate the wealth and knowledge and FAQs that are in this forum.
what thread was it? The only one I see is still there and open. Fill me in.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:42 PM   #21
slepysal

I appreciate this forum and the help it provides. Sure there are post that may "wander" about but I feel the pros greatly out weigh the cons. Thanks to all who contribute!

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:49 AM   #22
raylube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
what thread was it? The only one I see is still there and open. Fill me in.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=768418
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...4&postcount=41
All vin mods to this truck were done legally and the truck is currently legally licensed and insured,still making improvements and upgrades along the way and having fun with it ,
Attached Images

Last edited by raylube; 01-26-2023 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:17 AM   #23
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

I can't speak for the law where you live, but the law in NC where the site is "housed" is very clear on Vin tampering.
That is why those discussions are closed most times. I am interested in how you were able to fix all that on yours. Did you have to get it bonded
Old 01-29-2023, 02:15 AM   #24
raylube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
I can't speak for the law where you live, but the law in NC where the site is "housed" is very clear on Vin tampering.
That is why those discussions are closed most times. I am interested in how you were able to fix all that on yours. Did you have to get it bonded
The vin for the frame was attached next to the vin on the cab and was titled similar to a cab and chassis motor home. Their was NO VIN TAMPERING. The registration i posted shows vin 1 and vin 2, before I bought it.but when I had it registered they removed the added vin so it would not confuse people. I would be more than happy to delete the vin picture and comments but wasn't given a chance and got no response from the moderator after contacting him. I guess you will have to question every member on this forum that has done a cab swap and put the original vin on the replacement cab or removed their vin plate for paint or had their vin plate replaced and restamped with a reproduction vin plate so that their thread can be closed also.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:37 AM   #25
Rickysnickers

I know that Liz is monitoring this thread, and I won't step on her toes at all. However, I have a background in VINs, so allow me to clear up a couple of your statements. My responses are in between you sentences, sorry I can't figure out how to use color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylube View Post
The vin for the frame was attached next to the vin on the cab and was titled similar to a cab and chassis motor home. Their was NO VIN TAMPERING. The registration i posted shows vin 1 and vin 2, before I bought it.but when I had it registered they removed the added vin so it would not confuse people. I would be more than happy to delete the vin picture and comments but wasn't given a chance and got no response from the moderator after contacting him.

If you purchased the vehicle that way and went through the police inspection process they didn't find anything wrong with your vehicle. That's great!!!

I guess you will have to question every member on this forum that has done a cab swap and put the original vin on the replacement cab

This is flat out illegal. You cannot swap one VIN plate onto another vehicle. The VIN plate always goes with the cab that is replacing the one the owner removed. In other words putting the original VIN on the replacement cab is something that should not be done.

or removed their vin plate for paint or had their vin plate replaced and restamped with a reproduction vin plate so that their thread can be closed also.

In some cases a VIN plate can be removed for restoration purposes. One would need to check with their local law enforcement agency to find out the particulars of what needs to be done in order to do that. Same goes for reproducing a VIN plate, check with you DMV office and/or local or state police. Many threads are closed due to talk of VIN swapping and altering.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote